Golferbest

Reaction score
Handicap
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this however I wanted to post something that happened me today that was eye opening. Simple but eye opening. So I've hinted here and around my house that I ponder fixing my swing. It's not terrible by no means but I have a early wrist hinge that makes the club look off plane for a little bit during the backswing. I've probably spent the last few weeks trying to correct. Drills, slow speed swings..you name it I've been doing it. If feels weird but hey like most I want that flawless swing...

Shoot forward to today out at the course. The gf and Lil man went with me today. Start the first hole with the mindset of making sure I keep what I've been working on. Par 5. Decent drive, decent iron layup. Terrible wedge' another terrible wedge chip 2 putt. Plus 2. Next par 3. Hit an ugly shot short, blades a chip,chip then a putt. So I'm 3 over after two... On the third tee box my gf, looks at me and says what is wrong with you? I calmly say these swing changes are brutal...now my girlfriend is a recreational golfer. Plays to have fun, doesn't practice, doesn't keep score, doesn't know what checkpoints or swing plane or any of those things most of us focus on constantly ....without missing a beat, she says to me " the only person that thinks you need to change your swing is you. So quit trying to be perfect mr PGA and hit the ball... I smile , give a chuckle and say " oooookkkaaayyyy ssoooooorrrry" in my best peanut impression. I proceed to get 2 of my strokes back and end up 1 over through 9, swinging my swing..

I say this not to deter from achieving a good swing. I say this because somewhere down the line I focused more on what the swing looked like apposed to the results I get from mine..

part of the problem with swing "fixes" is that they tend to take us out of the athletic part of the golf swing. The golf swing is an athletic movement and as such should be approached with that in mind and comfort is a big part of the athletic equation.

If you stand above the ball all tense and lost in the fixes, there's no way you can make an efficient, comfortable, balanced move to the ball.

I think the best way to do it is to practice whatever fixes you're working on them, but leave the thought of them on the range. The hope is that the fixes translate over to your "comfortable" swing subconsciously.

Another thing people mess up is trying new stuff and trying to fix stuff on the course.
That doesn't work for most people. Practice your stuff on the driving and then just go out and play.
A few swing thoughts etc... are ok but for the most part just swing it.

Another thing people mess up is trying new stuff and trying to fix stuff on the course.
That doesn't work for most people. Practice your stuff on the driving and then just go out and play.
A few swing thoughts etc... are ok but for the most part just swing it.

I agree with this 100%. Take one thing that you're working on to the course, leave the rest on the range or wherever you're practicing. Have FUN on the course.

Trying to fix your swing with our knowing how to do so is just asking for trouble. I see it all the time and its fine, its your swing. But the fix you are putting in place generally is one of eight things wrong. And typically is the cause of the major issue.

There is nothing wring with early wrist set as long as the answer is full turn. Its called a hinge and turn, I used to teach it in the late 90s. But there are so mnay pieces to the swing.

Swing your swing will more often than not produce the 'usual golf' meaning some days you'll be on and other days you wont. And that is fine and recommended if you truly just want to enjoy the game. I would couple 'swing your swing' with a very strong short game and hot flat stick. This will be the great equalizer and will show improvement in your scores

I think most of us get caught up in having a picture perfect swing at one point of another in our golf life. I learned a long time ago that theres lots of different people who making a fine living on tour with various different swings, so really whatever gets your in a good impact position is all that matters.
Just look at Bubba Watson. He has a very flawed swing from a mechanical standpoint but he gets into a good impact position and his swing works for him, which is all that matters.

Agree with "Tadashi".

"Swing your Swing" is code for:

"Don't have the Patience and/or Don't want to put in the time to fundamentally improve ones swing."

If it's not "instant" and "Easy", people get frustrated and settle for unsound swing fundamentals. Unsound swing fundamentals result in numerous compensation moves. Compensation moves are highly dependent on timing. Hence, a person shoots 80 one week and 90 the next.

Adopting a sound swing philosophy and instructor is key. Most amateurs attempt to cut and paste swing tips from multiple instructors with different swing models. This results in utter Chaos where the player gets confused and frustrated.

Without doubt, we're all a bit different, however, a good swing is a good swing and we all know one when we see it!

Last edited:
Back