I'm not playing with you anymore !

I play with a few guys with a pleasant disregard for the rules. And one guy who does nothing but brag about how long he hits it. Annoying, but nothing too bad. However, if somebody was giving unrequested tips/advice I'd just start saying, 'Ah, there's 2 strokes.' I agree it's fun to play with better golfers, but that would drive me up the wall.

I think we have all played a few rounds with guys like this, but it sounds like you handled it the right way. Bottom line is, if you are knowingly going out to make a card, then ALL the rules need to be followed, simple as that. I would have said, and done the same things you did.

That guy sounds like a bit of tool. I wouldn't put up with that. You will not be able to concentrate on your own game and it will suffer.

I used to play with a "rules expert" who didn't know the rules, a "swing expert" who would always send me youtube videos of pro swings, an "I didn't know" guy who would walk on your line or be too close because "he didn't know it would be a bother".

I am not exempt though. I am a "takes it too seriously", who found the way to enjoy golf again was to limit my exposure to the guys above. Played with people who were new to the game this year, and had a lot more fun than when I was playing with the guys with course records and high expectations.

I have to be honest, if this guy wants to hand in scores that are better than his ability, I could care less. If he wants to post a 3 handicap and plays to a 7 he's going to get his butt kicked.

OTOH, handing in false scores to raise his handicap would really tick me off.

And let's be honest... 90 percent of golfers play fast and loose with the rules. How many of you play in a league where you have to go back to the tee after not being able to find a ball? How many of you never concede a short putt? I would bet that most people who play in a league don't follow the rules of golf to the nth degree.

It's not right or wrong, just the way it is.

It would be nice if everyone played by the rules, but we all don't. Its more important to me how a person acts on the course than how he is playing or bending rules. Of course if its a tournament and "cheating" is involved I will call someone on it, but other than that golfers can do whatever they want as long as they don't infringe on someone else's enjoyment of the game, and as long as they don't damage the course. I've refused to play with one individual in particular who cursed loudly and lewdly if he missed a shot (which was often), and I explained to him why we would no longer play golf together.

I'm not 100% certain, but in regards to your second issue - with his putt being marked as a birdie - I agree that it probably wouldn't have dropped, but aren't you required by rule to remove the pin as soon as the ball is struck while you're tending it?

I'm not 100% certain, but in regards to your second issue - with his putt being marked as a birdie - I agree that it probably wouldn't have dropped, but aren't you required by rule to remove the pin as soon as the ball is struck while you're tending it?

I think he's implying in the anecdote that he wasn't actually there tending yet. I could be wrong, but that was my impression when I read it.

I wasn't there to tend the flag and he putted while I was walking up to the hole. I went to the course today and thought I'd play a few holes on my own and this guy was there, lucky me! He asked if I was up for a round and I couldn't say no. He told me he wanted to hand a card in so I grabbed one. First hole he rope hooked his drive and we couldn't find the ball, he dropped a ball on another fairway and played to the green, chipped and 2 putted, technically a 6 but once again he lost his ball off the tee and should have played 3 off the tee. Walking to the second tee I put down my par and said to him that I was marking down a ringed 6 for him. He wasn't having a bar of that and told me to put down a 5. I wouldn't and told him we could carry on playing but I was not going to be party to a false score. I played a couple more holes with him before I reached a point where I couldn't stand being around him. He was throwing clubs, bashing his bag, swearing, blaming tee boxes for poor shots, the grass on the fairways was too long etc etc and I told him I didn't want a bar of that. I picked up my bag and walked off the course, I doubt he'll change his ways.

I usually play alone and on days when I have the course to myself I like to play two balls- one ball I play to my best knowledge of all rules at all times and the other I mulligan a few times, hit practice shots from various lies etc. Its a fun way for me to get better in all aspect while not feeling guilty about the scores I write down. On days where my "serious" games is going exceptionally well I play one ball and focus on my play and try to make as many low numbers as I can.

EDIT: Good for you Saffa. I would have done the same thing.

I wasn't there to tend the flag and he putted while I was walking up to the hole. I went to the course today and thought I'd play a few holes on my own and this guy was there, lucky me! He asked if I was up for a round and I couldn't say no. He told me he wanted to hand a card in so I grabbed one. First hole he rope hooked his drive and we couldn't find the ball, he dropped a ball on another fairway and played to the green, chipped and 2 putted, technically a 6 but once again he lost his ball off the tee and should have played 3 off the tee. Walking to the second tee I put down my par and said to him that I was marking down a ringed 6 for him. He wasn't having a bar of that and told me to put down a 5. I wouldn't and told him we could carry on playing but I was not going to be party to a false score. I played a couple more holes with him before I reached a point where I couldn't stand being around him. He was throwing clubs, bashing his bag, swearing, blaming tee boxes for poor shots, the grass on the fairways was too long etc etc and I told him I didn't want a bar of that. I picked up my bag and walked off the course, I doubt he'll change his ways.

Good for you. Can't blame you one bit. I wouldn't have left the course, but would have started over or jumped to an open part of the course, but maybe that's just me missing my closed courses already :).

Serious question, is 'a bar of that' a New Zealand phrase or a victim of autocorrect? Only person I've known from that part of the world is not close (from Tazmania) and never heard that phrase from him. If so, using context similar to 'any of that'?

I usually play alone and on days when I have the course to myself I like to play two balls- one ball I play to my best knowledge of all rules at all times and the other I mulligan a few times, hit practice shots from various lies etc. Its a fun way for me to get better in all aspect while not feeling guilty about the scores I write down. On days where my "serious" games is going exceptionally well I play one ball and focus on my play and try to make as many low numbers as I can.

While I do the same occasionally just so I can have an idea of how I played, I don't put those scores in for my cap. I'm pretty sure by the rules every time you hit a ball not the one you're scoring it's a 2 stroke penalty even if playing 2 balls :)

So I shot a 160ish...dang haha.

While I do the same occasionally just so I can have an idea of how I played, I don't put those scores in for my cap. I'm pretty sure by the rules every time you hit a ball not the one you're scoring it's a 2 stroke penalty even if playing 2 balls :)

Actually the penalty is worse than that. Technically you have not played from the tee and if you fail to correct it before you tee off from the next tee its a Dairy Queen penalty.

I may be in the minority, but if y'all weren't playing for money, then I wouldn't care what his scorecard said. Let him play by his rules and you play by yours.

Deep down, you will know how he played and most likely what he shot. Just because he says he got birdie and marks that doesn't matter.

Him bragging and all of that.. Again, that wouldn't bother me in the least. Just agree with him and he will stop.

Good for you. Can't blame you one bit. I wouldn't have left the course, but would have started over or jumped to an open part of the course, but maybe that's just me missing my closed courses already :).

Serious question, is 'a bar of that' a New Zealand phrase or a victim of autocorrect? Only person I've known from that part of the world is not close (from Tazmania) and never heard that phrase from him. If so, using context similar to 'any of that'?

Sorry, yea you're right. "A bar of it" is the same as any of that.

This is making me think,
I am a 16-18 handicap, I do not hand in card, and do not play competition, I enter scores on a website to have a rough idea of my progress.
I am also playing to get better, to have fun, I willtake a mulligan every two round or so, and i sometimes play with my lie...

am I a bad person? am I allowed to take this game casually and just enjoy feeling like I do some kind of progress?

I was thinking about keeping some more by the book scores next season as I can now break 90 about most of the times, but I had the feeling it was not that important as long as I couldnt score somewhat decently

Of course you aren't a bad person because of these habits, but you also don't really know how much your game is improving, because you play under a set of personal rules which change according to the situation. Every round which is entered in your records needs to be played the same way in order to have a basis for comparison.

How many of those "breaking 90" scores really did break 90 if you include all of the penalty strokes you incurred for mulligans and fluffing your lies? Again, be my guest if that's how you enjoy playing, but your scores really don't have any meaning if they are played outside of the rules.

I play with a guy occasionally who will hit his ball into the thick weeds that are OOB, but always miraculously finds it 30 yards ahead of where it went in to begin with!

I say if he wants to "deflate his index"...then let him....then just hope you draw him come tournament time :D

Back