Is playing through always the right thing?

Once during a twilight round my threesome was waiting at a monster of a par 3, hole 13, behind a 4 some. The twosome behind us caught up, and the 5 of us were waiting 10 minutes for the hole to clear. We decided to just make a fivesome, as we really weren't going to have a problem keeping up with the 4, and daylight was fading. As we're walking off of the green on 14, the foursome behind us zooms by and takes the teebox arguing that as we're a fivesome, we have given up our place on the course. Mind you, we were still keeping up with the 4 ahead of us, and we (not so calmly) let them know that. After a heated exchange, we just let the foursome tee off ahead of us. They didn't even finish the hole, as they were waiting in the fairway for the foursome now ahead of them to clear the 15th green. They picked up their balls and left the course.

My home course emphatically disallows 5 somes PERIOD, No excuses. No circumstances accepted. Offenders are escourted off the course and given a penalty time before they can return.

My home course emphatically disallows 5 somes PERIOD, No excuses. No circumstances accepted. Offenders are escourted off the course and given a penalty time before they can return.

I understand why they would do this. But again, common sense should rule the day, and obviously this was a one-off circumstance. If a course can't figure that out, then I can play at plenty of other courses.

Never, EVER the right thing to do. You should NEVER hit into anyone on purpose, regardless of how pissed you are. Pick up their ball and take it, or hit it into the woods. ANYTHING other than hitting it back at them.

Exactly! It's a game. There are some rude players on occasion. But no reason to let the blood boil and stoop to their level. A month or so ago I was playing an area course, with another THPer, and as we were putting, with my back to the fairway someone from the group behind us hit into us and his ball rolled within 8 inches of me as it passed. The three of us looked at each other and shrugged. As we left the green I took the offender's ball with me. End of incident.

If there's one group ahead of me and there's some space between (meaning I'm not already waiting in the fairway for the green to clear) I'll usually let a 2-some play through expecting them to also eventually play through the group ahead. Multiple groups clogged up ahead of me and the 2-some is waiting no matter what.

I'm all about letting people play through if there is no one ahead of us and the twosome behind us is playing faster than us. I would say there are certain occasions when a twosome can play through all of the foursomes ahead of them, because I was actually a part of this scenario. My step-father and I were playing 18 before my brothers wedding and after the 10th hole it started raining causing everyone to go to one of the shelters on the course. We continued to play through the rain and as the rain slowed foursomes slowly came back out on to the course. There were foursomes as far as we could see and when we got to 15 people were just standing waiting for the rain to pass. We were running a little behind and we explained our situation to each group and we had no issues. Everyone was more than accommodating. It comes down to what someone said earlier, "Communication goes a long way."

I'm all about letting people play through if there is no one ahead of us and the twosome behind us is playing faster than us. I would say there are certain occasions when a twosome can play through all of the foursomes ahead of them, because I was actually a part of this scenario. My step-father and I were playing 18 before my brothers wedding and after the 10th hole it started raining causing everyone to go to one of the shelters on the course. We continued to play through the rain and as the rain slowed foursomes slowly came back out on to the course. There were foursomes as far as we could see and when we got to 15 people were just standing waiting for the rain to pass. We were running a little behind and we explained our situation to each group and we had no issues. Everyone was more than accommodating. It comes down to what someone said earlier, "Communication goes a long way."

an extenuating circumstance for sure with this one and not the norm.

You're right, that's the only time I've ever done it. But when you essentially attack my family you are not going to get any leeway with me. Not going to apologize for that.

True that. Thats a ticket to the time honored "two piece". :laughing:

In this instance where it makes no sense to have them play through, I make sure to communicate with the twosome. I'll give the "Hey guys, i would say you can play through, but honestly, there is nowhere to go. Is that ok by you?"

I've never had anyone say "no, we wish to play through". I think as long as you are upfront and communicate, there should be no problem at all.

thedue, in that case, let them play through and show them that turnabout is fair play. I don't actually advocate that but I would tell them "sure you can play through if that means I can hit golf balls into you like you've been doing to us. Get out there!" Message delivered.

Perfect post for the op's answer. Plus it would help if the clubhouse is doing the same to the twosomes.

I see no reason to let a twosome through if you are playing the group(s) in front of you shot for shot. A full course is a full course and if you came out to play 18 you should be prepared for 4 hours of being one with nature.

This ^^^^^^

If the course is packed I see no reason to let anyone play through, and even if I'm a single behind a few foursomes I don't have the gall to even inquire about playing through. A full course is a full course and playing through just slows down everything. Speed golf can be as rude as slow golf sometimes and if you absolutely must finish your round in 2.5hours well...smart move with the 12:00 noon tee time.

I never expect to play through in this situation. I have told people no in this exact situation (explaining that it is backed up in front of us), one time in particular they stormed off and drove ahead numerous holes to find an opening.

The scenario. A full course. There is a twosome who wants to play through and foursomes one behind the other far you can tell for next few holes you can see. Whether you are the twosome or any the groups of four in front of them, is playing through the right thing from iether point of view?

Playing through in this scenario means the twosome will hit the next foursome and so on. Each time it happens it will cause few minutes delay. A group allows the play and waits for it to take place but then when completing the hole and moving to the next tee they find they are waiting again because the group ahead also allowed the play through and so on it goes. The situation on a crowded course filled with foursomes is just not practical imo regardless of how pace was moving and may work to hurt it for all except for the twosome. Obviously the more crowded and/or more delayed the course is, the more delayed it becomes with the playthrough as it just maginfies the situation. Imo Pace may have been border line "ok" but now it slowed. Or may have been bit slow and now its even slower.

Last time out my group (strangers to me) was discussing this on hole 5. I mentioned we may want to let these two behind us play through if they ask and one the guys said as we looked towards the next few visible holes "but where will they go?", "we're right on the group ahead and its all forusomes one after the other" ' "it will just slow it all down". The situation never did come up and pace was ok too but i think he was right and is why i mention all the above.

Is it always the right thing to do? Does it help or disrupt pace? If it disrupts pace (whatever that pace is) then should many be further disrupted for the sake of the two? What is right or wrong here? I've been in a twosome and only ever played through with empty space ahead as i saw no other point to it except when empty space is ahead. But some people feel differently about that and perhaps feel they should play through group after group. Is this right or wrong?

The simple answer........ NO!

Further clarification......... They have no right to expect special treatment if the course is full. Playing through takes time. It isn't a simultaneous act, and it will delay the group which is being passed. That delay may trickle down to following groups to some extent. When the course is full the pace is what it is, and all groups are going to have to live with it.

I wouldn't let them through but I would make a point of letting the 2 ball know why. If they had a problem with that then so be it.

As has been said, communication is the key. If they bug you about it just explain that there is no where for them to go, I have been in that twosome before and we will play an extra shot or two as long as we are keeping pace.

Yes, its always the right thing given the right scenario. The scenario in the OP is not the right scenario.

My view is letting someone or pairing play through is only legitimate if there is open holes in front of you. If the next 2 or 3 holes are full and all keeping pace of play then everybody just waits your turn.

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. We had an earlier tee time(Around 730ish) when we arrived at the club(645-7) there was 3 groups of 4 all tee off before us. Our groups was a 3 some. And then a twosome behind us. First group left at 7 sharp. We went off on time with the group in front of us on the green of a long par 4. The entire front 9 we had the same group in front at the same distance every time. On a par 3(maybe hole 6 or 7) we meet the group in front of us on the tee box and as they were teeing off the twosome caught up to us. They pulled up and asked what the hold up was. The foursome in front of us said that its just a busy day(which it was) the twosome actually had the balls to say for them to pick up the pace. My group kept our mouth shut, but the group in front said "what do you want us to do, its a busy day, if you wanted to play ahead of us you should have booked an earlier tee time".

Point of my short/long story is, we didn't let them play through, nor do I feel that we should have. Unless there is a 2-3 hole distance between you and the group in front of you there is no reason to let someone else play through. All they are gonna do is wait behind the group you are behind and jam you up even more.

Much like driving on the freeway. Your car may be faster than the car in front of you, but if its bumper to bumper, rush hour traffic, there is no where to go! Slow down, get off the person's bumper in front of you, and just go with the flow!

Much like driving on the freeway. Your car may be faster than the car in front of you, but if its bumper to bumper, rush hour traffic, there is no where to go! Slow down, get off the person's bumper in front of you, and just go with the flow!

Well said.!

Sometimes, there's just no point in letting someone through. I've pointed it out a couple times when been asked to play through. They've typically been pretty understanding around here.

I was with two teens last weekend and they were there to have fun and simple hacking away, topping, shanking, everything that went wrong did. They told me I could play through but since there were two foursomes ahead I told them that I would stay since there was no where to go. I took my time and enjoyed being outside even though I had a bad score.

Yes, its always the right thing given the right scenario. The scenario in the OP is not the right scenario.

Agree sort of but I dont think I'd say "always" in general as though it is an earned right. Bottom line is that its really a courtesy from the people ahead imo and not a given right to the twosome. Even the scenario can seem right and yet the courtesy doesnt have to be extended imo. I wouldnt be one to prevent it if the scenario allows but there are other things to consider too even though it appears the scenario of empty holes ahead is correct for the situation.

How about your foursome getting a round in before darkness being very possible and realistsic but allowing play-thru or two by some singles or twosomes means you wont finish.? This happened recently. Our foursome moving very well on a fairly empty course in front and on pace to finish before dark but we allowed two play-thrus ( first a single then a twosome) because "it was the right thing". We were playing with a sense of urgency but it was a comfy good pace too and would have finished before dark but with not too much time to spare. But the allowed play-thru on both occasions caused enough delay for us to start rushing towards the end which lead to getting sloppy and it actually slowed us and were unable to finish. It was real bummer to our round. Cost us to sacrifice a finish and also enjoyment on last couple/few holes we did play.

Next time this is the case I will suggest they skip ahaed and if they have time later they can go back to the hole they missed because we would like try to finish a full round. But i have a feeling that wouldnt sit well with alot of people.

Agree sort of but I dont think I'd say "always" in general as though it is an earned right. Bottom line is that its really a courtesy from the people ahead imo and not a given right to the twosome. Even the scenario can seem right and yet the courtesy doesnt have to be extended imo. I wouldnt be one to prevent it if the scenario allows but there are other things to consider too even though it appears the scenario of empty holes ahead is correct for the situation.

I think it is always the "right" thing to do given the scenario. Using common sense, the only time that a foursome would let a twosome play through is IF the foursome is holding them up and IF there is no one ahead of the foursome. Given these 2 likely circumstances, the foursome should always let the twosome play through regardless. I don't think that sunlight left should get in the way of golf etiquette. If I am pushing it that close to finishing a round in the first place, I should know that there is a decent possibility that I would not complete the round before I ever teed off.

Back