Titleist AP1 or Ping G25

Good luck my man. The AP1's are a very solid offering (as are the g25). You can't go wrong with either.

Makes the decision just that much tougher. The good side of it though is i cant really go wrong with either one.

Makes the decision just that much tougher. The good side of it though is i cant really go wrong with either one.

I would also keep in mind that there may be a day where your ball striking may not be up to your normal standards. That's where the Pings will really shine, you can always bring a little more club if they're shorter but that extra forgiveness will always come in handy when you're not having the best of days out on the course. Also, be sure to have the right shafts in them when you buy them, it may be a little up charge depending on what you go with but it'll save you money down the road. I just got new shafts put in my irons and I'm already seeing a world of difference. More carry with a lot higher trajectory, I couldn't be happier with my set up.

What about the two sets suggests the G25's are that much more forgiving?

I am curious about this - have you hit them? They look built for forgiveness from what I've seen. I didn't think the PING's were anything out of this world there - at least not in extensive Vector testing. I also thought the soles were vastly improved from previous generations (especially moving down into the scoring irons), as was the topline.

I was thinking the same thing. I have been playing the AP1s for the most part of this year. I have foudn them to be forgiving and don't find them difficult to hit at all.

I am about the same hdcp as you, and I just bought the Ping G25's a month ago after extensive testing of many different clubs in the GI space. I did not look at Titleist however. I would vote for the G25s. The sole is no where near the G20 and the topline is about the same as most other clubs in this category. I found that I could hit the pings with much better consistency and a smaller pattern than any of the GI clubs out there. Ping's fitting is better as far as I am concerned and they get you somewhat more dialed in. The ping is a forgiving club, no doubt. I came from Taylor Made Burner 2.0's which I just didn't care for. My pings are more consistent with ball flight, and distance than my old TM's. I played the same course within 2 weeks, once with my TM's and once with my Pings and my score was 7 under what I usually scored with my TM's. You swing matters most, but my swing and ball striking got better using the PING's that for sure. They also have a nice sound and feel good when striking the ball unlike the Mizuno's I tried during my search. I also hit the Xhots and they were my 2nd choice. Great clubs with lots of distance but the ping wins on consistency.

I was thinking the same thing. I have been playing the AP1s for the most part of this year. I have foudn them to be forgiving and don't find them difficult to hit at all.

I don't find the AP1 hard to hit at all, and i believe the forgiveness is almost the same. I also don't have any issues getting the ball in the air so that plays into the decision as well.

What about the two sets suggests the G25's are that much more forgiving?

I would say toe misses. When I miss out on the toe with my Pings I really don't give up anything vs my Cobra AMPs which are comparable to the AP1s. Maybe the AP1s are more forgiving than my Cobras in that area, I couldn't say, I've never got a chance to hit them. I was just throwing it out there.

I would say toe misses. When I miss out on the toe with my Pings I really don't give up anything vs my Cobra AMPs which are comparable to the AP1s. Maybe the AP1s are more forgiving than my Cobras in that area, I couldn't say, I've never got a chance to hit them. I was just throwing it out there.

See from what ive hit with them, the toe misses seem to be the same in forgiveness, at least with the 714 AP1's, as the G25s are. When i hit it off the toe with a 6 iron it still goes 80% or more of the normal distance.

See from what ive hit with them, the toe misses seem to be the same in forgiveness, at least with the 714 AP1's, as the G25s are. When i hit it off the toe with a 6 iron it still goes 80% or more of the normal distance.

714's are quite forgiving in that direction. I can't speak to the g25's on that- but the AP1's shine in that direction.

Just to follow up, I ended up going with the 714 AP1's in 5-GW.

They just felt like a more solid iron and extremely forgiving on mishits to me and they just flat out preform IMO.

They just felt like a more solid iron and extremely forgiving on mishits to me and they just flat out preform IMO.

Congrats on the purchase. You will love them.

Congrats on the purchase!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats...which shafts did you go with?

DG S300

Still loving these irons.

Thanks...and good to hear u r loving them! Another question though...when u were testing the AP1 against the G25 did they have comparable shafts?

PS I once owned the AP1 (710) with KBS Tour, stiff shafts and hit some of the best golf shots of my life...now why did I get rid of those irons??? :at-wits-end:

Thanks...and good to hear u r loving them! Another question though...when u were testing the AP1 against the G25 did they have comparable shafts?

PS I once owned the AP1 (710) with KBS Tour, stiff shafts and hit some of the best golf shots of my life...now why did I get rid of those irons??? :at-wits-end:

Actually they had the exact same shaft in them when i was testing them against one another.

Actually they had the exact same shaft in them when i was testing them against one another.

Good to know and from reading the posts you went with the AP1 because you felt like it just fit your game better and I may have derived this from something said that u felt like it was a tad more forgiving than the G25? Again to each his own and I think it is very important that one plays an iron he has confidence with over what some numbers may say (well unless the spin numbers are extremely different) but this sounded like a close battle won by Titleist this time!!!

Good to know and from reading the posts you went with the AP1 because you felt like it just fit your game better and I may have derived this from something said that u felt like it was a tad more forgiving than the G25? Again to each his own and I think it is very important that one plays an iron he has confidence with over what some numbers may say (well unless the spin numbers are extremely different) but this sounded like a close battle won by Titleist this time!!!

I went with Titleist because they were confidence inspiring at address and also they seemed to have more forgiveness on mishits for me. That being said, they were also longer for me by about a half club over the G25s.

Some people dont like the fact that they are heavy, but that was one of the selling points to me.

I went with Titleist AP1s over the G25s and the JPX EZs.

They look better, and they feel better. They all performed similar to each other so it came down to looks and feel.

I love my AP1s :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Which AP1's?

I just read this whole thread and see that you have made your decision, congrats on your 714 AP1 irons. I have ordered a set which should be here soon (4-W1) so I have no on course knowledge to pass on.

I owned the G25 irons in 2013, I thought they were "okay" but not spectacular. I have owned a number of sets of Pings and Titleist irons over the past 20+ years, both companies would definitely be my favorites. One of the reasons I got the G25s was because the sole was narrower than previous G series irons, the look was very nice and I wanted a little more forgiveness since I play less rounds/year. My last set of Pings were the i15s which I really liked but like many of us on golf forums wanted something else, not necessarily better, just something else in the bag. The G25s have quite a bit of forgiveness especially on shots towards the toe but I found the ball flight was just too high for me, distances were shorter than my i15s, I simply was not loving them as I thought I would. I had an offer, a good one, from someone I know that wanted them so I sold them in early November. The 714 AP1 irons were on my radar since the day they were announced months ago, while they are a GI iron set and the soles are wider than some irons that I have played previously, they look good and feel good when I tried them a couple of times. I am looking forward to using them in 2014, I guess I will see if I made the correct decision this time.

I went with Titleist because they were confidence inspiring at address and also they seemed to have more forgiveness on mishits for me. That being said, they were also longer for me by about a half club over the G25s. Some people dont like the fact that they are heavy, but that was one of the selling points to me.

Sounds like all very good reasons to go with the AP1...and I hear u on the heavy feeling...I have read the same about the AP2 but I am one that also likes that feeling in an iron...I may end up reshafting my S55 irons (maybe DG Pro's) and getting PING to make them heavier eventually.

I just read this whole thread and see that you have made your decision, congrats on your 714 AP1 irons. I have ordered a set which should be here soon (4-W1) so I have no on course knowledge to pass on. I owned the G25 irons in 2013, I thought they were "okay" but not spectacular. I have owned a number of sets of Pings and Titleist irons over the past 20+ years, both companies would definitely be my favorites. One of the reasons I got the G25s was because the sole was narrower than previous G series irons, the look was very nice and I wanted a little more forgiveness since I play less rounds/year. My last set of Pings were the i15s which I really liked but like many of us on golf forums wanted something else, not necessarily better, just something else in the bag. The G25s have quite a bit of forgiveness especially on shots towards the toe but I found the ball flight was just too high for me, distances were shorter than my i15s, I simply was not loving them as I thought I would. I had an offer, a good one, from someone I know that wanted them so I sold them in early November. The 714 AP1 irons were on my radar since the day they were announced months ago, while they are a GI iron set and the soles are wider than some irons that I have played previously, they look good and feel good when I tried them a couple of times. I am looking forward to using them in 2014, I guess I will see if I made the correct decision this time.

Congrats...which shafts did you go with in the AP1 irons and which shafts did u play in the G25?

I came from the S57s to the G25s so the APs did not even make my list. They looked too much like the S57s and I no longer cared about the top blade line and removed my bias for "chunky for the punky" that I use to have when I played my S57s.

Now, its all about SCORING. Especially when I am no longer having my consistent swing.

In my hay days, I use to be a 3 capper but now more like a 12 capper or possible 18 now that I am injured. So for me, the logical choice was the G25s. And for a while when I was playing back to my low cap, the G25s were sweet. I knew the G25s would fly higher - you have to expect it for a GI iron but I had Ping made it 1* stronger and dumped my fave shafts KBS Tours into them to lower the flight. It was perfect and the dispersion was much MUCH better than my S57s on my good day. Getting over the optical bias of the top line was dead easy - just enjoy the ball drop next to the flag.

PS the S57s are in my backup bag, just in case.

Back