Best ball for indoor simulator?

EagleOne

Team GoLo
Reaction score
Handicap
Beast Mode
So it's winter in Colorado and we probably won't have many opportunities to play between now and March (it was - 8 when I woke up this morning). I'll be playing a lot of simulator rounds and wasn't sure if the ball I used made a difference. I'm sure it would around the green at least. And would a distance ball (Velocity, Rocketballz) get me more yards than a Pro V1?

I was planning on playing my personal favorite, Hex Chrome+, but am now considering playing something super spinny or super long.

Bigger advantage in a simulator: spin or distance?

sent from The Note 3

I would think whatever ball is best for you would be best for you indoors as well as out.
the purpose of a simulator is to tell you what you're doing. if you're not going to play the ball you use for the simulator, you might as well just not go. balls can make a huge difference.. you already play the hex chrome (or +?), I'd say just use that.

Last edited:
Wilson Staff DUO. No logical reason this time. I just like saying DUOs for ball threads.

I would think whatever ball is best for you would be best for you indoors as well as out.
the purpose of a simulator is to tell you what you're doing. if you're not going to play the ball you use for the simulator, you might as well just not go. balls can make a huge difference.. you already play the hex chrome (or +?), I'd say just use that.

I probably will just play the Chrome+. The main reason I ask is because we played a round on the sim last week and definitely noticed a difference when we switched balls mid round (yes I lost a ball playing on a indoor sim, I will find a way). The Chrome was noticeably longer than the NXT Tour S we started using. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not leaving anything on the table.

Wilson Staff DUO. No logical reason this time. I just like saying DUOs for ball threads.

Lol I don't have any Duos but I did get a great deal on some FG Tours! When we can make it back outside I'll try the Duos. I've heard great things :D

sent from The Note 3

Just use whatever you use out on the course. Dont try and swing to hard and you will be fine. Simulators are just that, simulators. They simulate what would happen out in the real world, but while they can be quite accurate, I wouldnt put much stock into what is always happening with ball flight, spin and all that. Good luck and just enjoy being able to swing through the winter.

Last time I played at the ClubHouse in Bettendorf Iowa the guy said the ball doesn't really matter what you use. All balls will work with it, and in which had used taylormade balls for use if you didn't have any.

What type of ball doesn't exactly matter, but you'll get the best performance, especially with partial wedge shots, with the balls designed for the sims like the one on the left.

MarkedBalls.jpg

Camera based systems rely on a line of some sort to track the balls movement (spin for example).

What type of ball doesn't exactly matter, but you'll get the best performance, especially with partial wedge shots, with the balls designed for the sims like the one on the left.

MarkedBalls.jpg

Camera based systems rely on a line of some sort to track the balls movement (spin for example).

I had no idea what those funny looking Predator hieroglyphs were on the balls. I thought they did that so people wouldn't steal them :what:

I'll play around with those tomorrow.

sent from The Note 3

Use the ball that you normally use.

Again, if it's photo based, which most are, and they have the balls for the sim - use them at least for wedges. Spin will be tracked so much better. In the place I go most often they are Cally Tour i balls. The full swings are not as reliant on them and you can use whatever you like, but I'd switch for wedges. Or not, but don't be surprised if you see unusual spin numbers, way more roll out than you'd expect, etc.

Problem solved!
su8etade.jpg

sent from The Note 3

I'm going to my 1st one this Thursday. I wanted to just hit balls and get some numbers but he said I could not use my DUOs. He told me he has premium Callaway balls with "confetti" markings on them. He had no template to mark my balls. He says it's the same simulator as the Golf Channel. I've never seen any marked balls on there.

MarkedBalls.jpg

I was wondering the balls at the PGA SS had those lines on them. Thanks for dropping some knowledge on me.

I'm going to my 1st one this Thursday. I wanted to just hit balls and get some numbers but he said I could not use my DUOs. He told me he has premium Callaway balls with "confetti" markings on them. He had no template to mark my balls. He says it's the same simulator as the Golf Channel. I've never seen any marked balls on there.

You can still use the Duo if it's an aboutGolf sim. You'll get poor spin readings on wedge shots though. You could just mark up the ball like the picture I posted, but most places don't like that. The Sharpie ink comes off on their screens.

yeah most place want you to use their old beat up balls

You can still use the Duo if it's an aboutGolf sim. You'll get poor spin readings on wedge shots though. You could just mark up the ball like the picture I posted, but most places don't like that. The Sharpie ink comes off on their screens.

I'm just gonna play a round instead of worrying about numbers. Waaaaaaay too rusty to be worried about that anyway as I haven't hit a ball in 2 months.

I'm just gonna play a round instead of worrying about numbers. Waaaaaaay too rusty to be worried about that anyway as I haven't hit a ball in 2 months.

Here's what I'd do and what I've done in the past.

Full swings I use my ball.
Wedge swings, I use their ball.

I mean it when I say you'll get some crazy readings. You'll see partial wedge shots roll out 60 feet.

Back