what's your average driver use per round and favorite lay-up club of choice

I use it way too much!
I usually to playing relatively short courses and I should learn to keep the driver in the bag on those 370 yards and shorter par 4s

Two maybe three times a round. If I am hitting it well then I will hit it more, but most of the time it is a 3W in my hand on the tee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to use my driver on every hole that wasn't a par three. As my golf game has improved I use my driver less and my 5I more. I just recently purchased a 3W and have not been able to use it in play. I suspect I will be using it more than my 5I and my driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was pulling driver way too much and suffering the consequences, playing too many from the trees or adjacent fairway. I've gone back to 3W, hybrids and long irons off the tee and amazingly, my scores are dropping.

I hit my driver on every non par three hole. Only a couple of courses that dictate otherwise & I pull my 2/3 hybo to lay up.

Tapping away on my iPhone

With the confidence that I have in my Driver now I use it as much as possible.

Grip it and Rip it. If it's possible to carry something I'm trying it. #Drivereverywhere

At my home course, I typically hit driver 6-8 times. Reducing the number of shots with driver is not a guarantee of a lower score but it has certainly increased the chances of shooting well.
My typical lay up club is my 5 iron, maybe a 4 iron if I have more room.

At my home course, there's a certain lack of course management opportunities, in the "use something besides driver" sense on the par 4s or 5s. There's a couple of shorter par 4's where the distances might result in having a funny in-between second shot if I hit a good drive, so I might hit a 3W instead. But otherwise I hit driver 14 times in a round. I'm not notably more accurate with my 3W, all things being equal, and given the distances on the course, most tee shots under 200-210 yards (from the whites) make for untenable second shots, so laying up isn't a much better option.

I hit driver on every par 4 and par 5 on the course. I know my miss and would kick myself if I took less and still got into trouble by playing "smart".

I use driver unless there's a forced layup or the hole is under 380ish (in the summer :D). Club off the tee depends on what's needed but I definitely default to the F5.

If there are 4 par 3's I'll use my driver 14 times. And hopefully a wedge 10 times and a 5 or 6 iron 4 times ideally followed by less than 30 putts. That would be a good day :)

The first hole at my home course is 300 so I use 5-7 wood on that hole to leave a full wedge to the green. The 12th is 320 dogleg left so I've started using a fw there too recently. All the other par 4s are over 350 so driver it is. That makes it 12 drivers a round.

My home course is relatively short so I'm generally better off with a 3W in hand for most of the par 4's. There are probably 6 or 7 holes that require driver off the tee. Anything longer then say 350 yards is when I will typically use my driver.

I had a local pro tell me earlier this year that he only hits a driver if the hole is over 345 yards or if he can drive the green.
My favorite club to hit is the driver, but I have started laying back with the 3 wood more this year and it is working out pretty well.

I'd like to say that I use my driver less than I do, but if it's a hole where I can drive the green or not get in major trouble, then I'll pull it. If I'm taking a layup club out, it's all depending on the hole layout. Other than that, whatever I need to get around 115-75 range for a small wedge, is what I pull.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk 2

When I'm hitting my driver well (sadly rare), I'll hit driver on any par 5, and on any 4 where my favourite lay up club (5w or driving iron) won't get me inside 170. On my home course that's 7 holes only because we have a ton of severe doglegs. When I'm not hitting it well, I'll only hit it on par 4's if my 5w won't get me inside 200. On my home course I never HAVE to hit it. On a course near my inlaws I play regularly that's over 6500, I'll hit driver between 4-12 times.

On my usual course I hit the driver on 7 holes. My favorite layup club off of the tee is my 5 wood or 2i rescue hybrid.

Jackal

what's your average driver use per round and favorite lay-up club of choice

I will hit driver on any hole that is 350 or longer unless it doglegs short of my driver distance. Narrow fairway doesn't bother me at all.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Normally hit driver at any yardage > 360ish. I prefer to give myself a shot at 8i or less into a green which is about 150. I look to my 3w as my back up, unless the par 4 is particularly short then 4h normally gets the job done.

I probably hit my driver a lot more than I should. I haven't really ever thought of a distance cutoff for playing it, though I probably should. For layup, it depends on my drive, I'll usually go for 150 or 100 whichever I can hit a lower club to.

I only use the driver when there's enough room if I miss the fairway that it won't go OB - scores have come down when I started using the driver less.

I prefer my cannon-like RBDZ cavity backed 3 iron for accurate tee shots in these situations - it's damn near as long as my 3 wood & MUCH more accurate.

I don't crush my driver anymore (working on that again) but a lot of the courses I play are unfriendly towards any misses so I might hit is 8-10 times a round. The others will have water in my driving range or tight trees and I'll take anything from a 4w to a 6i off the tee. I've got a perfect fade on a hard swing off the deck with my 4w and it's good for around 225 so I don't mind having a longer approach with a short chip to try to get up and down vs possibly a 250 yard tee shot but most likely a ball in the woods and a punch out leaving me a 150 yard approach and STILL a possible short chip to try an save bogey.

On my usual Sunday morning round at a my local muni course....I use driver 6 times. Could use it less if I'm hitting it poorly.

And my layup shots really depend on the distance I need to be in. I love hitting a nice 7 iron but if you ask drp3434, I am in
love with a 5 iron.

Depends on course and playing conditions. Rule of thumb for me is driver on par 5 or any par 4 over 400yrds. My 2 main munis I play I hit 4 drivers at one and 7 on the other. I work at a cc that has 2 corses a Dye and Nicklaus and hit 9-11 drivers on them. If I played them from the tips it would be 15 as I would need to hit one on a par 3.....lay up has been a 2 iron for ever one of my favorite clubs but I threw in a Adams dhy 18* for the last month of last season with good results so it will have a spot in the bag to start of next season.

Back