Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Someone once told me that a shank is very nearly a perfect swing, so you should not be discouraged. (I didn't believe it either. Sounded like bull$hit to me)!

i have heard that as well & depending on the club head size that could be correct

My instructor tells me that a series of shanks is God's way of telling me that I'm done for the day. I never listen and end up just doing drills until I'm out of balls.

Still waiting for my irons. The weather has delayed things. Doesn't look much better with the new storm rolling through tomorrow. I keep going back to Golf Galaxy and hit the demo set, though. I've never done this before, but there may be an unboxing thread started by me that will contain pictures of me and my new irons doing things about town. Maybe we go to a fancy restaurant for steak. Or, perhaps we take my wife and daughter out to a movie. Possibly we go to a pub and fraternize with the common folk. They will definitely come to work one day and see what I do. I'll make a safe bet that they would be better participants in some of my meetings than the business sponsors who are requesting these projects. There are limitless possibilities with these clubs.

Got to hit the apex 6 with the TT XP 95 and recoil regular flex shafts today! Really liked the lightweight recoil shafts. Not only do they look great they feel fantastic. Didn't get a chance to get any numbers on the trackman, but am happy I finally got to try a couple regular flex shafts!

Today....Christmas arrives early...

u8aga2an.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to the range last night. I have absolutely zero useful information after spending over an hour hitting various irons. What I do have, though, is the shanks.

try to hit the ball with the toe of the club and hit a hook, always works for me

I had a problem with my set. After a day of hitting them I noticed the 5i looked a bit flat, I checked them and it was standard, I went throughout and had the entire set checked and found that just about every club was standard lie, not 2up like I ordered. I have a golf vacation in a week and was ticked off when I called Callaway and was told to "ship" them to us, which could take two weeks. My problem was I didn't want them scuffed up if I tried to do it locally. I'm a bit scared by trying to have a set of Burners bent years ago that got totally scuffed up so I had visions of my new set getting mucked up. I found a guy that said he wrapped them in tape and took his time, I gave him $40 and he bent them perfectly. I'm pretty amazed that Callaway sent out the set and ignored the 2up spec. The gap wedge was the only club that was 2up, everything else was standard lie. Just so everyone knows, the Callaway rep told me these heads all come standard and are bent by Callaway to the requested lie. So they don't have heads made 2up, 3up, etc.....everything is bent

I may be missing it on callaways website but which recoil shafts are they offering. Thanks.

I may be missing it on callaways website but which recoil shafts are they offering. Thanks.

For me it says stock Graphite 660/680 recoil

the custom route has the Recoil 110/95

So I went to my local and hit the Pga SS and hit the apex with the ust and the same 95 shafts I have. This is the first time Ive really gone and looked at a launch monitor. I hit 6 iron the entire time. I avg 90mph to 95mph club head speed with this club.

UST shaft. I really like the feel of these. But for me at the end of the day it was not stiff enough. My miss with these is a solid right miss and I was avg 179 to 185 yds with this shaft. I am impressed with the look and feel of these. If I can get a bit more stiff shaft into these I will be curious to see how they react. I really enjoyed how the Apex felt with them.

XP95. I just am really liking this shaft. I am getting a nice high launch and ball flight with this. I avg 190yds to 205yd of carry with this shaft in there. With this shaft I just feel the ball jump off the club. I just cannot say enough about the play and feel with these. Also when I play this shaft I have a small draw instead of my push right. If you are thinking. Stop and do yourself a favor with these buy them.

So I went to my local and hit the Pga SS and hit the apex with the ust and the same 95 shafts I have. This is the first time Ive really gone and looked at a launch monitor. I hit 6 iron the entire time. I avg 90mph to 95mph club head speed with this club.

UST shaft. I really like the feel of these. But for me at the end of the day it was not stiff enough. My miss with these is a solid right miss and I was avg 179 to 185 yds with this shaft. I am impressed with the look and feel of these. If I can get a bit more stiff shaft into these I will be curious to see how they react. I really enjoyed how the Apex felt with them.

XP95. I just am really liking this shaft. I am getting a nice high launch and ball flight with this. I avg 190yds to 205yd of carry with this shaft in there. With this shaft I just feel the ball jump off the club. I just cannot say enough about the play and feel with these. Also when I play this shaft I have a small draw instead of my push right. If you are thinking. Stop and do yourself a favor with these buy them.

Dang dude them is some huge carry numbers, looks like you have a winner in your bag

Oh Sweet Georgia BROWN I love these clubs!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay. So I hit these again today along side the new 714 AP1 and AP2 irons. I'm pretty sure that Callaway is the winner hands down. I've got a iron fitting scheduled for Monday morning to prove it.

There is just something special about the Apex head with the XP95 shaft combo that really works for my swing. I can't wait to see the Trackman numbers on Monday.

Okay. So I hit these again today along side the new 714 AP1 and AP2 irons. I'm pretty sure that Callaway is the winner hands down. I've got a iron fitting scheduled for Monday morning to prove it.

There is just something special about the Apex head with the XP95 shaft combo that really works for my swing. I can't wait to see the Trackman numbers on Monday.

They going to have the new kbs shafts to try?

They going to have the new kbs shafts to try?

Thats good. They told me they dont get the KBS shafts till they get the pros and to be honest im dying to hit them with the kbs tour v.

Went up to the Golf Stop in Tucson today, pretty much with the express purpose of finding a demo set of Apex irons and giving them a whack. So the older lady who runs the place says they have a set, and we talk about what a next looking set of clubs they are, and the technology, with the forged frame and cast face, and this and that...then she says, "You want to hit them, don't you?" "Yes, ma'am, I do."

These are some very nice-feeling clubs, and they look amazing at address. They're very easy to swing, the ball seems to just leap off the face. The sweet spot feels so good, and while there was feedback from the one shot I hit off the toe, the launch monitor didn't betray nearly as punishing a distance and direction as I thought they would. Real life still rules, but they surely indicated that they are some very forgiving clubs.

I want them. Looking forward to getting a chance to hit them against the X2Hot. And I think I would still take the Apex over the X2 on looks unless the X2's are a club and a half longer and decidedly more accurate. Pictures don't do them justice.

Thats good. They told me they dont get the KBS shafts till they get the pros and to be honest im dying to hit them with the kbs tour v.

The shop actually had to build a shaft with the adaptor for the fitting heads. I don't think the Tour V shafts will work for me but I can't wait to find out.

I had a problem with my set. After a day of hitting them I noticed the 5i looked a bit flat, I checked them and it was standard, I went throughout and had the entire set checked and found that just about every club was standard lie, not 2up like I ordered. I have a golf vacation in a week and was ticked off when I called Callaway and was told to "ship" them to us, which could take two weeks. My problem was I didn't want them scuffed up if I tried to do it locally. I'm a bit scared by trying to have a set of Burners bent years ago that got totally scuffed up so I had visions of my new set getting mucked up. I found a guy that said he wrapped them in tape and took his time, I gave him $40 and he bent them perfectly. I'm pretty amazed that Callaway sent out the set and ignored the 2up spec. The gap wedge was the only club that was 2up, everything else was standard lie. Just so everyone knows, the Callaway rep told me these heads all come standard and are bent by Callaway to the requested lie. So they don't have heads made 2up, 3up, etc.....everything is bent
I'm sure that if you had brought it to there attention it would of been rectified. Oversight does happen, and when it does it's should be handled accordingly. Callaway would of done just that, and quickly I'm sure

That's awesome...looking forward to seeing what differences you see

I'll report back Monday morning. It's an 80 min session that starts at 10 am.

I'll report back Monday morning. It's an 80 min session that starts at 10 am.

Nice....I only got 1 swing with the xp95 and no numbers to tie to it and some 6 iron swings in a lesson.and at some point I want to try both on a monitor and see for myself as wll.

I'm sure that if you had brought it to there attention it would of been rectified. Oversight does happen, and when it does it's should be handled accordingly. Callaway would of done just that, and quickly I'm sure

They were willing to fix it, but I needed to ship them the irons and not have them for 10 days, which I was unwilling to do...

Hit the 6 iron today with the xp95 shaft up against the title it ap1 and ap2. Reconfirm my love for these irons. Such a pure feeling iron that was very forgiving on the mis hits. I'd say on my best 3 shots i was 5 to 7 yards longer carry distance and a tighter dispersion.

The fact that my swing is garbage and these still perform solid has me so freaking excited for when i get things dialed in

Back