What to do - I fell in love with the ugly sister!!!

No skillz

Reaction score
Handicap
Just was reading the Callaway thread and thinking about looks and how it relates to our buying decisions - including the one I am now struggling with.

I love the looks of the Mizuno JPX 825 Pros (gorgeous club to my eye). Went to hit them the other day (6i) and lost about 10 yards on the 'good' shots and 30 on avg. The sales guy suggested the JPX EZ Forged, didn't want to but it beats shopping for crap with my wife. I proceed to hit the 6i over 200 yds regularly (20 yd gain) and felt goood!! (I know it was a monitor but the other club didn't perform like this). Now, to my eye, the EZ line of clubs is UGLY, but when they feel so good and perform so much better (to my swing), I reckon I will have to be stuck marrying the ugly sister!!

Is there a support group?? Do I drown my sorrows?? I can't give up such performance gains for my vanity (can I??). This is a struggle, because I really love the 825 Pros and really do not like the EZ Forged.

Same shaft in both? That is a huge difference in distance for just the club head.

A 6i over 200yards? Dude, how fast do you swing? By my estimation it'd take as swing over 95mph to hit it that far?

I don't know my swing speed. Been playing Burner 2.0s w/regular shaft and my 6i distance is 180. The sales suggested I needed to hit the Stiff shaft. I asked if the distances were right and he said that the roll-out was 'iffy' but the carry distance would be spot-on and I was hitting between 195 and 200 on the carry distance. Then he stated that he hit a 6i 195 to 205 and proceeded to show me. Never hit one over 180 (w/ rollout)!

Like mancest eluded to, make sure you have the same shaft in both. It might be a lot closer than what you thought. Don't pay attention to flex, from one company to another the difference can be great.

But as long as it looks good to you at address what does the branding have anything to do with performance? It may be ugly, to your eye, but if it performs then I say go for it.

I tried to tell myself the same thing before I got married, but what did I do? Went for the beauty.
I am sooo shallow!

I don't know my swing speed. Been playing Burner 2.0s w/regular shaft and my 6i distance is 180. The sales suggested I needed to hit the Stiff shaft. I asked if the distances were right and he said that the roll-out was 'iffy' but the carry distance would be spot-on and I was hitting between 195 and 200 on the carry distance. Then he stated that he hit a 6i 195 to 205 and proceeded to show me. Never hit one over 180 (w/ rollout)!

One of the things I hate about LM's is the fact that they say a club rolls out X amount. I call BS on that, especially with irons. I have yet to see a 6i run out 20 yards if you know what I mean?
I have to make it clear I'm not attacking you or calling you a liar. If you like the distance and feel of the club then that's all that matters really.

It wasn't just the shafts. I could feel the difference in the sweet spots. I routinely hit the ss on the EZs more frequently than the Pros. The EZs also felt lighter than the Pros and with playing the Burners, maybe they just felt better to my swing.

Don't know much about this whole deal, only been playing for 2.5 years but I sure do like it!!

What to do - I fell in love with the ugly sister!!!

Haha I love the title!

If your smash factor is perfect I'd guess your SS at 93mph with the 6i. Shafts will make a huge difference in launch conditions(LA/spin/Decent angle) all of which will greatly effect carry and roll out.

I'd try to get the same shaft in each head and see what happens. If ugly sister still performs way better I wouldn't give up those types of gains for looks.

There's a saying that a 1 in looks and a 10 in the pocket book beats a perfect 10 in looks all the way to the bank.

No need for apologies here - call it as you see it. The carry distance said 195 to 200 on the good hits and 180 to 190 on the not-so-good. I thought that maybe the LM was 'cooked' to make a sell, but when the sales guy tanked after talking about hitting 195-200 he seemed a little embarrassed. This made me think the numbers were somewhat accurate. Is there any way to try these at a range before buying??

The scorecard doesn't care what your irons look like.

Don't forget the shallowness factor!!

I KNOW the scorecard doesn't care (my golf partner is always reminding me its not a postcard), BUT when you could be pulling out the sweetest looking custom-made clubs during the league and having everyone ooh and ahh. Only 3 other guys know how bad you tanked it on the course. Everyone in the clubhouse sees what you are carrying around!! :)

Don't take this too seriously, I know who I will go home with, but dang the hotty is making me consider my options!

It wasn't just the shafts. I could feel the difference in the sweet spots. I routinely hit the ss on the EZs more frequently than the Pros. The EZs also felt lighter than the Pros and with playing the Burners, maybe they just felt better to my swing.

Don't know much about this whole deal, only been playing for 2.5 years but I sure do like it!!

Finding the SS more often could be due to Lie Angle differences and shaft length differences. The 825 pro stock set up could not fit you, like the EZ stock set up does. A well fit club will allow you to put a better swing on the ball and allow you to find the sweet spot more often.

Swing weight and perceived weight will effect your swing speed and its plane.

Don't forget the shallowness factor!!

I KNOW the scorecard doesn't care (my golf partner is always reminding me its not a postcard), BUT when you could be pulling out the sweetest looking custom-made clubs during the league and having everyone ooh and ahh. Only 3 other guys know how bad you tanked it on the course. Everyone in the clubhouse sees what you are carrying around!! :)

Don't take this too seriously, I know who I will go home with, but dang the hotty is making me consider my options!

I feel your pain, but imagine pulling the ugliest clubs in the league out and whooping up on everyone. That would sure get some oohs and ahhs, too!

I feel your pain, but imagine pulling the ugliest clubs in the league out and whooping up on everyone. That would sure get some oohs and ahhs, too!
THIS IS MY STRUGGLE - VANITY!!

My partner is the league low scorer (2 HCP). I hit the ball longer 33% of the time. The other 66% I'm digging the ball out of someones yard, figuring out how to escape out of 20 trees, hitting from the next fairway, etc. He said that if I put the driver in the bag and only played with my irons I would drop 5-7 shots a round. BUT I need to learn to play the club needed for the job and I am shallow and do like to give my partner (and the other teams) crap when I have out-driven them again!

Drive for show, put for dough!! (I live in the shallow end of the pool)!!

THIS IS MY STRUGGLE - VANITY!!

My partner is the league low scorer (2 HCP). I hit the ball longer 33% of the time. The other 66% I'm digging the ball out of someones yard, figuring out how to escape out of 20 trees, hitting from the next fairway, etc. He said that if I put the driver in the bag and only played with my irons I would drop 5-7 shots a round. BUT I need to learn to play the club needed for the job and I am shallow and do like to give my partner (and the other teams) crap when I have out-driven them again!

Drive for show, put for dough!! (I live in the shallow end of the pool)!!

Well, sounds like you know the issue, and knowing is half the battle. Just a matter of whether you want to make a change and only you can decide that.

I bet GIRs will turn those ugly ducklings into swans PDQ

I agree with the looks of the irons. They only go so far. Are your friends not going to give you crap when you are 20yds behind them with the good looking irons vs the ugly sister? J/k. All joking aside I would make sure your other clubs are properly fit. If you aren't hit the SS on a regular basis the shaft may be to long. Just something to keep in mind.

I was using the Mizuno mp-57 before I switched to Bridgestone. I gain an average of 15 yards per iron. Sometimes picking the correct iron takes some time. The EZ irons should be a little more forgiving seems strange. Is it the s300 shaft?

I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but I just don't think those EZs are ugly. Not a big fan of the orange, but other than that I like the lines and the look as a whole. I think I'd take a little paint to them and game them very happily.

That said, I've never once had someone say anything about what my ugly cheapo irons (or any of my clubs) look like. I certainly don't care as long as the ball flight looks pretty.

I reckon I will have to be stuck marrying the ugly sister!!

A wise man once told me that you can marry more money in 10 minutes than you can make in a lifetime.
Just some food for thought.

I'd try to take a demo outside and hit it and if the numbers are true I would game those bad boys in a heart beat. Performance trumps aesthetics every time!

Back