How do you deal with a bad round mentally?

Since I track most of my stats during a round I can usually go back and look and see where I went wrong for that round. It is usually because I was chipping really bad, or had way too many 3 putts or that my driver was off that day. Those are really the only 3 things that cause me to shoot really bad rounds. I have been getting better about trying to stay focused and let go of the bad holes. You kind of just have to step back relax and regroup and start thinking positively to get back on track.

Usually a few cocktails in the clubhouse will put me in a better mood!

I personally learn more from bad rounds than good rounds. Figuring out what I could have done differently and working on fixing it. Aside from that I always try to play golf knowing that it is just a game. Game's are meant to be fun.

Managing your expectation is key to enjoying golf.

BOOM...#1 answer...Tadashi70...you nailed it!

In one of Dr. Bob Rotella books (I think "Golf is not a game of Perfect") he said that if you come to the first tee with an expectation of what score u want to shoot that day...you might as well go back to the car and go home...you're done!

I know it is a cliché but this is where "one shot at a time" really applies...when I play well I seem to have a single focus on this cliché...my challenege is how to find this thinking more often.

I get home and kick the cat as hard as possible and then beat my fiance up :laughing:
During a bad round I try and stay positive and have found that thinking of my kids, which makes me smile, helps a lot. After a bad round I stew over it for a while but then look back on it and see where I did things well and try work out why things turned to custard. I don't get too wound up about it though, it's only a game after all.

Good thread and great answers. I personally would say I had a "bad" round. I played a pretty awsome course in St augustine . It was in damn good shape and probably some of the truest greens I've played in years... rolled like glass but true. I had every thought in my head I was going to shoot in the 70's..lol. 4 pars in a row then a lovely triple on a par 3 with water that my ball wanted to go for a swim in.. N e way I ended up shooting 84 and was slightly disappointed in my overall score. I however like to focus on the stuff I did well. An awsome fairway bunker shot that landed 10 ft from the hole. The fact that my driver was on fire and the fact that I just had a good time. I keep in the back of my mind that I'm not a pro, I don't get paid to play. I actually pay money to do this and I'm not going to get all pissy Because I didn't shoot an epic low score. Like I've been told, and I've heard through others I'm not good enough to get mad at golf..

Back