Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a great story. He's a very generous CEO. I've never heard of atlas before. Little to spendy for me but with most things in life; you get what you pay for. What are your thoughts on the bipods? What makes them different/better than Harris? I've got a set of caldwells.

The Harris is a great bipod, I've used it and bipod like it for years. However it does has some things that I don't like that's inherit in its design. The Harris uses Springs to pull the legs back up against a stop, which means there is only a folded or non folded position. This also makes it hard to "load" the bipod, put forward pressure on it, as it tends to slide, especially on hard surfaces which can lead to bipod "hop" if your form isn't perfect. Mine isn't. It also doesn't swivel side to side.

The Atlas has 5 settings the bipod can be in, folded forward and backward, 45* forward or backward, and 90*, also the legs can be in either position regardless of where the others at. There is a but of play in the legs, which allow you to load the bipod forward so when you shoot there's weight to counter the recoil, you can get away with a little less than perfect form. The Atlas also swivels 30*, it isn't much but it's useful if your in a position where the legs can't move.

I'd like to get involved in. "tactical" rifle matches, which depending on the course could have you set up in various positions, and are purposely made so that you have to think outside of the box. I've seen competitors get set up in an area where being able to put one leg of the bipod forward and backward still gets them a solid rest where a Harris wouldn't work. The atlas is just more versatile.

I still love my Harris, it'll go on my 22 target rifle, and the Atlas on my other rifle. They're both great just serve a little different purpose.

I forgot to mention this, everyone who responded got the same package, and iirc there were well over 100 people that answered that poll.

I forgot to mention this, everyone who responded got the same package, and iirc there were well over 100 people that answered that poll.

Dang I wish I had known about that haha.

Wow, what great customer service.

Solid choice Golfdawg; G19 is always a staple in any collection, can't go wrong there.

Thanks, i have been a M&P guy for a long time, still have the compacts, but thought Glock 19 gen 4 was worth a try.

Plan to run 300-400 rounds through it this weekend, i have been carrying it around the house and feels the same as my MP9c, some with the G19 i get a longer sight radius, 3 more rounds, and some feel a better barrel twist.

And with all the recent security scares, you will appreciate the ability to get through the airport metal detector with nary a beep. ;)

Thanks, i have been a M&P guy for a long time, still have the compacts, but thought Glock 19 gen 4 was worth a try.

Plan to run 300-400 rounds through it this weekend, i have been carrying it around the house and feels the same as my MP9c, some with the G19 i get a longer sight radius, 3 more rounds, and some feel a better barrel twist.

merry christmas everyone

Just got a Remington 870 tactical.

I decided to change some things up on my rifles. I've got 3x Burris AR332 on my AR. I rarely shoot the thing because I mainly varmint hunt. I've got a Weaver Grand Slam 3x9 on my bolt action .223. I wanted to put a higher powered scope on the bolt and put the 3x9 on the AR. I was at Cabelas yesterday looking and the salesman got me talked into a Vortex Crossfire II 6x18. He said all the guys behind the counter use Vortex. I was pretty skeptical because it was about $200 less than I was willing to spend. I had two customers come up to the counter and they both said to buy it was well. They mounted and bore-sited the scope for me. He also recommended buying a Burris PEPR mount for my AR. I mounted and bore-sited that one myself last night.

I went to the range this morning to get them sited. I started with the bolt/vortex at the 25 yard range. It sited in nicely. I was surprised how bright the scope was. I then switched to the AR. That one also sited in nicely. I moved to the 100 yard range to finish up. I had the scope zeroed in 5 shots. (that's extremely good for me). What really surprised me was the quality of the scope. I brought my 22-250 that has a Leupold VX lll 6x20 to compare. I'm not going to say the Vortex is better but it's closer than I thought it would be. The Leupold is brighter and I prefer the reticle but the Vortex is bright and clear to the edges even on 18x. The Leupold was between $700-$800 while the Vortex was $225. The salesman told me Vortex is the best on warranty too. Obviously I never want to use it but i'll likely take it to the prairie dog town this weekend to put it through the paces. If it holds up I may look at purchasing another one for my AR. That opens up a new can of worms though. I'll have a 3x9 scope with no rifle but with the money I saved I might have to look for a .243 or 25.06.

I'm not saying go out and buy one. I've only been to the range with it once. But if you're looking for a higher powered scope, for the money it may be a good option. Vortex wasn't a brand I was considering but so far i'm impressed. Might want to give them a look.

I forgot to finish my story on the AR. I didn't get a chance to site it in at 100 yards, I had to meet with a client. But I really like the way the Burris PEPR mounts. I was thinking about getting some standard rings. I'm glad I didn't. The PEPR is canted forward. This allows easier access to the charging handle. I know there are a lot of AR shooters on this thread. It's a one piece mount too. Take a look at one if you're throwing a scope on the AR.

Went back to the range and got the AR zeroed at 100 yards. I was shooting PMC 55gr fmjs. At the close of my session I threw in some of my handloads I use on the 223 bolt action. They were shooting an inch and a half high. Different twist rate or shorter barrel the cause of that?

Last edited:
I forgot to finish my story on the AR. I didn't get a chance to site it in at 100 yards, I had to meet with a client. But I really like the way the Burris PEPR mounts. I was thinking about getting some standard rings. I'm glad I didn't. The PEPR is canted forward. This allows easier access to the charging handle. I know there are a lot of AR shooters on this thread. It's a one piece mount too. Take a look at one if you're throwing a scope on the AR.
i like those kind of mounts but i opted for the 45* to the side one for my scope... its entirely too big for the rifle but im pretty blind so it works out okay

I decided to change some things up on my rifles. I've got 3x Burris AR332 on my AR. I rarely shoot the thing because I mainly varmint hunt. I've got a Weaver Grand Slam 3x9 on my bolt action .223. I wanted to put a higher powered scope on the bolt and put the 3x9 on the AR. I was at Cabelas yesterday looking and the salesman got me talked into a Vortex Crossfire II 6x18. He said all the guys behind the counter use Vortex. I was pretty skeptical because it was about $200 less than I was willing to spend. I had two customers come up to the counter and they both said to buy it was well. They mounted and bore-sited the scope for me. He also recommended buying a Burris PEPR mount for my AR. I mounted and bore-sited that one myself last night.

I went to the range this morning to get them sited. I started with the bolt/vortex at the 25 yard range. It sited in nicely. I was surprised how bright the scope was. I then switched to the AR. That one also sited in nicely. I moved to the 100 yard range to finish up. I had the scope zeroed in 5 shots. (that's extremely good for me). What really surprised me was the quality of the scope. I brought my 22-250 that has a Leupold VX lll 6x20 to compare. I'm not going to say the Vortex is better but it's closer than I thought it would be. The Leupold is brighter and I prefer the reticle but the Vortex is bright and clear to the edges even on 18x. The Leupold was between $700-$800 while the Vortex was $225. The salesman told me Vortex is the best on warranty too. Obviously I never want to use it but i'll likely take it to the prairie dog town this weekend to put it through the paces. If it holds up I may look at purchasing another one for my AR. That opens up a new can of worms though. I'll have a 3x9 scope with no rifle but with the money I saved I might have to look for a .243 or 25.06.

I'm not saying go out and buy one. I've only been to the range with it once. But if you're looking for a higher powered scope, for the money it may be a good option. Vortex wasn't a brand I was considering but so far i'm impressed. Might want to give them a look.

You did well buying the vortex. Dont let the price fool you. They are the best bang for your buck out there right now in my opinion. I had a 6x24 pst on my targeg rifle and man was it clear. Had alot of options on it as well that would cost a boat load on other brands. Sold the rifle and the guy wanted the scope with the gun. I have another pst (1x4) on my new bison armory 6.8. I have had this scope on other ar's and really like it as well. On 1 power with the lighted reticule its like having an aimpoint on your rifle, both eyes open aiming. Crank it up to 4 power for the farther shots. Its on my dedicated hunting rifle right now, the 68. As far as mounts go, the burris is a rock solid mount. I have had 2 of them. The only problem i had with it was its weight, very heavy. I had the swfa ar mount as well, same deal, good but heavy. I now am trying out the Primary Arms deluxe ar mount with the vortex. It seems much lighter and for whatever the reason, it just looks better to me. The primary arms model is cheaper than the burris or swfa. Companies make lighter ones but i am not going to spend that kind of money 150+ on a mount, i just dont think its needed. I dont need a quick attach mount. I put my optics on the the weapon, tighten, and leave it alone. The primary arms mount was like 60 bucks i think.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Vortex is great, and their customer service is second to none.

Vortex is great, and their customer service is second to none.

Great scopes and a great company that stands behind their stuff. I have dealt with their customer service a couple of times trying to find a scope available somewhere and they were great to me.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Well, I finally got around to checking out the new Bass Pro in Little Rock this past weekend. They had a pretty good selection, but were pricy on many of their items.
That being said, they actually had some 150 grain Remington Core Lokt in .308 and at a fair price no less. I ended up buying two boxes to add to my supply.
My ammo goal for 2014 will be to actually find some more .22 ammo!

15% off at crossbreed on new years if anybody is interested...

ubeju3a7.jpg

Jerry Miculek compares three of the more popular polymer framed pistols, glock, s&w, and XD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clZnXL7nlFo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

A little biased toward the S&W, but he is sponsored by them.

Wish he would have grabbed a XD M, which is more refined. Then the XD.

Still I don't think you can go wrong with any, surprised at the pull weights of them.

Jerry Miculek compares three of the more popular polymer framed pistols, glock, s&w, and XD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clZnXL7nlFo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

A little biased toward the S&W, but he is sponsored by them.

Wish he would have grabbed a XD M, which is more refined. Then the XD.

Still I don't think you can go wrong with any, surprised at the pull weights of them.

I'll have to check that out when I get home. I've got a Glock and an XDM, both of which are awesome.

Went to the gun show this weekend and poked about. No major purchases. Picked up a Covert Carry for my XDM 3.8 from Wild Bill's Concealment. Seems like a solid fitting holster. Also picked up a magazine carrier and some ammo. Not too busy this time. Suppose everyone has spent their money on Christmas... Was looking for some aftermarket grips for my Kimber Custom II, but couldn't find anything good. Any recommendations?

I love my XDM, I want to get a S&W M&P, don't really care for Glocks, but it not because they aren't great guns.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.

I love my XDM, I want to get a S&W M&P, don't really care for Glocks, but it not because they aren't great guns.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.

I have both and love them. I have the compact 9mm XDm as my carry and my M&P as my range gun at the moment. The M&P shoots like a dream after the apex upgrades, the reset is way shorter, the trigger pull shorter, lighter and smoother. At the moment, it is more accurate and easier to shoot than the XDm Which was not the case before the apex stuff.

clTYAqJ.jpg

Just bought some magpul stuff for my shotgun, it will look like this when they come.

4aqyzu7y.jpg

Went shopping for a C&C gun this morning. Had it narrowed to three: glock 27, Springfield XDM and m&p shield. I've got a glock 23 and an m&p 9mm so I know I like the quality. I was leaning towards the glock but I was trying to keep an open mind. All three felt good in my hand. I liked the fact the xdm had fiber optic sights but they only had it in 9mm and I wanted a .40. I asked the shop owner which one he recommends. He's someone I really trust and he said the Shield.

I took it to the range after cleaning and oiling it up. Really shoots well. I had good control even with the 6 round short clip. I was shooting an inch high so I'll have to play with the sights. It really ate up some HP handloads. The slide is tighter than hell so I'll have to do lots of shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back