Trying to Break 80 Club

So many close calls this year. Hopefully 2014 will be the year.

77 Yay! :)

Still no sub 80 this year for me, one more chance this weekend it looks like.
Played 9 the other day, greens were a little rough, but had 7 pars and two doubles. Need to trade one of those doubles for a bogy on the back and I'm there.

Have not broken 80 this year but have been close a few times. I will get 3 or 4 more chances while at Hilton Head next week.

Played 9 on Sunday & shot 37 including a double bogey. A very easy 37 & my personal best front 9 on this course. I will play 18 this Saturday, same course, & hope to continue the good play. I think I have maybe 36-54 holes left for this year, depending on the weather.

Great to see all the success in this thread!

After breaking 80 a few times late in the summer I haven't been able to get back there. It seems my current game is doomed to scores that start with '8' for the time being, but I definitely have room for improvement.

After breaking 80 a few times late in the summer I haven't been able to get back there. It seems my current game is doomed to scores that start with '8' for the time being, but I definitely have room for improvement.

You'll get back there bud. Winter is the time to drill and practice! I've been in the 70's drought ever since my one and only back in March. My plan is to get back there next season!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

You'll get back there bud. Winter is the time to drill and practice! I've been in the 70's drought ever since my one and only back in March. My plan is to get back there next season!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Well hopefully our preparations for #TheKing get us both back where we belong. It's a helluva motivator so I think it'll happen.

For 2014 I hope to see a couple new faces here that where previously in the "trying to break 90 club" and see a lot of you guys break 80 (consistently if at all possible).

Cool to see this thread come alive again.

SkiBum, I fully expect you and I to be there by April. And Army, I hope you do it too, but then have an off weekend come April 25th :D

Breaking 80 is my goal before the end of 2014. I am currently shooting in the mid 90s and taking lessons to improve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Imagine: 45F, rain (not pouring, but rain nonetheless), 30-40mph winds, gusty.

Our back9 is closed, so I played the front twice. Scored 79, a triple and a double in there and four (!!) birdies.

Tripled the third hole I played with a waterball, doubled the last with another ball in the water.

[edit]Played with a Pro V1x I found: nice and soft ball, though it tends to spin a bit too much on the drives.

Last edited:
Haven't been to the course since October the 25th due to being out in the woods hunting as much as possible.
Now that deer season is pretty much behind me, I'll look to get out on the course in the coming weeks and get to working towards finally breaking the 80 mark this year.
I managed a -1 for 9 holes last season, so I know the game is there if I can just put it all together for an 18 hole round.

With a little practice I am becoming hopeful about doing this again - my putting is relatively a mess but the other parts of the game are kind of coming around. I just need a little decent weather so I can start getting out there again (I'll be in Bandon in a couple of weeks but those are fairly hard courses - slope in the low/mid 130's - so I'm not expecting much).

Four strokes! I have been fighting putting together a full round for so long now. Simple mental mistakes are costing me a round in the 70's. Not taking my time on a putt, flubbing chips, not taking my medicine and playing out when I get in trouble, and swinging too hard. If I could just quit thinking while I play I know I could break 80 no problem.

Four strokes! I have been fighting putting together a full round for so long now. Simple mental mistakes are costing me a round in the 70's. Not taking my time on a putt, flubbing chips, not taking my medicine and playing out when I get in trouble, and swinging too hard. If I could just quit thinking while I play I know I could break 80 no problem.

This was my problem early in the year but my main golf buddy likes to make suggestions to me on the course and that really helped with bringing my score down, sure sometimes I may not listen but he knows my game and will make a suggestion if he sees me grab the wrong club for the shot in front of me and it really helped me this year.

I shot an 86 today in what will most certainly be my last round of golf for the year, so I have officially been shut out of the 70's this year. Here's hoping next year it will happen!

I shot an 86 today in what will most certainly be my last round of golf for the year, so I have officially been shut out of the 70's this year. Here's hoping next year it will happen!
Hope so! We all want the people we like to have progress :) (And here at THP we like all members right ;))

79 today! Hell yeah! I had an 8 footer for birdie on 18 and drained it to break 80 for the fourth time.

Congrats, Army!

79 today! Hell yeah! I had an 8 footer for birdie on 18 and drained it to break 80 for the fourth time.

Congrats Army!!! That is awesome. the birdie on 18 is a great finishing touch man

WTG Army! My goal for 2014 is to break 80... Most of it is the mental part of the game and just developing that consistency, where I can recover quicker from poor shots and get my frame of mind right for the next one. It's gotten way better than it used to be but to break 80 there is definitely a lot more room for improvement.

Great job! Congrats!

Back