Your best shot that turned out bad

GE4x4

Reaction score
Handicap
What shot that you did that looked to be awesome, but ended out bad. Mine was on a par 3 at 162 yds with my 5 iron. Hit it great and right at the flag. My ball hit about 6" up from the base of the flag square and bounced back about 30' into the bunker. What could of been a easy birdie putt or a hole in one, turned into a bogie.:banghead:

I hit an approach shot from 165 yds out. I striped it right down the middle. Beautiful shot. I had the appropriate club (6 iron). I watched the ball hit the front of the green and release a little. When I got to the green the ball was nowhere to be found. It was a wide open area with grass cut nice and short...the ball was just gone. (it wasn't in the cup)....I was playing with my dad also. We searched for 10 minutes and never found the ball. I still have no excuse other than I wonder if a squirrel ran off with it??? there were a few squirrels near the green. I have no other explanation.

I had one at this very high end tournament. It was a par 5 and I had to lay up, so I had about 80 yards over water to the pin. Absolutely clipped it perfectly and the ball headed towards the pin. Took one bounce hit the pin and then rolled all the way back in to the water. Took a drop and hit a good one to get up and down. Problem was I took an illegal drop and almost got DQ'd from the tournament. Wait was that me?....

In reality I had a really good drive once that hit a sprinkler head on the side of the fairway and the ball ended up OB.

3 weeks ago. A flop shot from a grassy area to the right of the green on a par 5. Flopped up perfectly, and just missed going in for an eagle. It appeared to stop about 2 feet from the cup. I picked up my putter and started walking to it, when I saw it start to fall off of a ridge. It then rolled 40+ feet into a lake.

Piped a driver on a par 4 that bounced off the 150yd pole in the middle of the fairway and into a pond on the left side of the fairway

Championsgate International course. One hole has a fairway that rises from the tee box to a fairway bunker dead set in the middle, then drops off afterwards, so from the tee you can only see the fairway to the crest of the hill (bunker). I pounded a tee shot dead straight over the hill on line with the right side of the fairway bunker.

What you can't see from the tee is that the fescue cuts in from the right down the hill (not really a dogleg, and doesn't look like one on the scorecard). Of course I had hit my tee shot over the hill, through the fairway, and into the fescue--lost ball.

That ball kept me from breaking 90 on the harder course after playing like poop the day earlier with my new SpeedBlades.

Had a 294 par 4 that I tried to drive the green on regularly. One day I absolutely piped one and saw it roll on the green and got excited about an eagle putt. Got to the green and started looking for my ball. Somehow it rolled uphill across the green and down the embankment and settled in about 3 inches of water. After hacking it several times, finally settled for a double bogey putt.

I hit a bomb of a drive on a longish par 4 that had to clear water to get to the better landing area. My ball flew the water and hit the 150 post on the fly and bounced straight back into the water. I was rattled and ended up carding an 8.

Good shot that ended badly...2nd shot iron on a par 5 that was going to land just in front of the green...hit a drainage grate and bounced a good 50 feet into the air, over the green and onto a neighborhood road behind the green...bounced off the road and into a pond on the other side...

Bad shot that turned out good...long and straight par 5 with a small creek running the entire length on the left side...just left of the creek, a metal fence and an apartment complex that also runs the entire length of the hole. On the tee, I blast it up the left side, but it's hooking hard into the apartments...I closed my eyes and listened for glass breaking...I did hear pretty solid contact with brick...I opened my eyes and see my ball as it ricochets back onto the course and ends up on the very left edge of the fairway...made par.

I guess it all evens out in the end.

Had a ball land an inch from the cup from about 150 then it smoked the flag and bounced into the water. It drove me nuts I pured that sucker. Also anytime I have hit a drive that went straight and couldn't find the ball. How does a ball just disappear? I don't get it.

Way too many over the years. I try to forget those. But as many good shots that went bad, I probably had more bad shots that turned out good, or at least, OK.

I had one at this very high end tournament. It was a par 5 and I had to lay up, so I had about 80 yards over water to the pin. Absolutely clipped it perfectly and the ball headed towards the pin. Took one bounce hit the pin and then rolled all the way back in to the water. Took a drop and hit a good one to get up and down. Problem was I took an illegal drop and almost got DQ'd from the tournament. Wait was that me?....

In reality I had a really good drive once that hit a sprinkler head on the side of the fairway and the ball ended up OB.

I LOL'd.

I just had some water come through my nose on this one

KG

Just Tapping Away

The course I grew up playing just on the Buffalo city line has power lines going across the 9th fairway. You've got to hit a really good drive to get near them, and then what are the chances of hitting something 1/2 an inch wide...I've done it twice. Turned big drives into about 200 yards. BTW: Is there a rule on that I'm not aware of?

The course I grew up playing just on the Buffalo city line has power lines going across the 9th fairway. You've got to hit a really good drive to get near them, and then what are the chances of hitting something 1/2 an inch wide...I've done it twice. Turned big drives into about 200 yards. BTW: Is there a rule on that I'm not aware of?

Normally the rule is to re-hit your shot. http://golf.about.com/od/rulesofgolf/f/rfaq_powerlines.htm

We have a rule at my home course that if you hit the power lines on any hole they run across you get to re hit the shot, if you wish to do so, without a penalty as long as it wasn't OB. There should be a rule like that as they're man made objects that are not able to be moved and aren't part of the course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a rule at my home course that if you hit the power lines on any hole they run across you get to re hit the shot, if you wish to do so, without a penalty as long as it wasn't OB. There should be a rule like that as they're man made objects that are not able to be moved and aren't part of the course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I had known that rule back then. Pretty sure I played it from where it dropped. At least it was straight :) I've since moved and only play that course a few times a year now. Thank you (and Smallville) for the rule clarification.

What shot that you did that looked to be awesome, but ended out bad. Mine was on a par 3 at 162 yds with my 5 iron. Hit it great and right at the flag. My ball hit about 6" up from the base of the flag square and bounced back about 30' into the bunker. What could of been a easy birdie putt or a hole in one, turned into a bogie.:banghead:

Same happened to me once. I hit the pin on a par 3 and the ball flew 40 yards off the green into deep grass. It made for a double for me. It happens. The game is not always fair.

A couple months ago, I had hit some horrible shots and was laying 3 short of the green on a Par 4. Pulled my lob wedge and thinned it badly. It rolled and rolled and was headed right at the flag. Dropped in for an unlikely and funny par.

Im the guy who puts it into the unreachable water once every couple rounds.

I've had a couple drives that I know I have HAMMERED down the middle of the fairway only to either not find my ball or have it run through the fairway into some heavy stuff or water.

Perfect drive on the 1st hole, water left, trees right, hits a sprinker head and decides to ricochet to the left into the water.

1st par 5 of the day, about 470 with a right to left wind. Hit a decent drive, not spectacular, but it left me in the fairway with 230 to the center of the green. There is a big, steep greenside bunker between me and the flag, and another bunker about 50 yrds short of it. I have not been hitting irons well lately so I decide to aim at the flag with my 4i and hope for the best. A good shot should land between the bunkers and a bad one would either be short of both or end up right of both. I hit the purest, most beautiful beeline right at the flag. The best iron shot I've had in two weeks. It carries 200, bounces once and I think "oh man it might get *on* the green"... it hits the steep incline of the bunker and sticks in the sand. I"m lying 2, 25 feet from the pin... but I take 3 shots to get out of that incredibly steep and stupid bunker.

I remember one shot vividly.. 6th hole at my course, #1 handicap hole. the green is severely sloped down and away. pin was on the front-left, and being short-sided on that green is not fun. anyway, I hit a beautiful 8 iron from about 165, and it hit the pin, kicked about 15 yards left. then, I hit a pretty sweet flop shot to try and drop it next to the pin so it wouldn't roll out too much, because if it starts rolling on that green, it's going off the green. didn't work. ended up with a double. I've only ever birdied that hole once and I've played that course at least 200 times..

The one that comes to mind is that short par three at TPC Vegas - #12? - that played to like 120.

I hit a beautiful high wedge. We all saw the ball hit the green and bounce about 15 feet in the air, which was weird. By all accounts that ball should have been gently on the green, maybe even nestled up toward the pin. It was through the green and into a waste area maybe 40 feet past the green where I then had to navigate a bunch of rocks to pitch it back up.

Back