Question about my lessons

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok I've started taking lessons, and I really feel like it was the correct move.
My only concern is I'm 5 lessons in (Saturday will be my 6th) and the longest club I hit in those lessons is a 5 iron.
I worked on grip, grip pressure, stance and setup, takeaway, and such but no hybrids, fairway woods or driver yet.
My instructor says he absolutely loves the progress I'm making, and I'll see fantastic results in his opinion.

But is it normal to build so much with the irons so early on in lessons.

I do want to say I LOVE going to my lessons, I LOVE hitting the range (and am sticking to the lessons 5i,8i,PW).

My only concern is I'm 5 lessons in (Saturday will be my 6th) and the longest club I hit in those lessons is a 5 iron.
I worked on grip, grip pressure, stance and setup, takeaway, and such but no hybrids, fairway woods or driver yet.
My instructor says he absolutely loves the progress I'm making, and I'll see fantastic results in his opinion.

I do want to say I LOVE going to my lessons, I LOVE hitting the range (and am sticking to the lessons 5i,8i,PW).

I wouldn't worry too much. I think he's just trying to get some basic mechanics working with you on the shorter clubs before he goes to the longer clubs. If you have a concern though, I think I would raise it with your pro. I'm sure he'd be happy to address your concerns and work on whatever you're wanting to if you bring it up.

sounds about right to me, should start my mastering the shorter clubs, they are easier to hit and most of the things you learn with he irons you can also apply with longer clubs.

how many lessons do you plan tot take?
did you talk with your instructor about what you wanted out of these lessons? ie work more on short/mid/long game?

Yup. Absolutely stick with it.

I took two series of 3 lessons in 2013 and in one I hit nothing more than an 8 iron in my first series of lessons and in the next series I hit nothing more than a 7 iron unless we were working specifically on the driver.

If I recall some of your previous post, you're going through a fully swing overhaul in hopes of significantly reducing your handicap. If that's the case, then you're absolutely on the right track. Stick it it man, looking forward to your reading your progress

sounds about right to me, should start my mastering the shorter clubs, they are easier to hit and most of the things you learn with he irons you can also apply with longer clubs.

how many lessons do you plan tot take?
did you talk with your instructor about what you wanted out of these lessons? ie work more on short/mid/long game?

I have talked to him where I want to be, what my pre lesson struggles were, we just really clicked.

I enjoy the lessons, working on my game, and picking up and developing good swing habits.
I am looking to take 7 more lessons before the winter breaks.

After winter breaks, and I'm back to playing with regularity I'll probably pop in once a month or so.

I fully intend on greatly improving my game!

I see an every reputable instructor ever few months or so, and have been doing so for a few years. When she checks my swing and gives me a diagnosis (both by eye and by video), I typically hit nothing but a 7-iron. She can tell from that swing where I am going wrong or what I need to work on. I think only once did I ask her to take a look at my drives, because I was having some problems with my driver.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. Basic swing fundamentals are easily taught and evaluated with a mid-iron.

I've done the same. I guess the mindset is its easier to make changes with your swing with a shorter club. For me it was the 9i for weeks. It wouldn't hurt to ask your pro you want to spend a few minutes with the driver just to see if you've made progress there.

I have talked to him where I want to be, what my pre lesson struggles were, we just really clicked.

I enjoy the lessons, working on my game, and picking up and developing good swing habits.
I am looking to take 7 more lessons before the winter breaks.

After winter breaks, and I'm back to playing with regularity I'll probably pop in once a month or so.

I fully intend on greatly improving my game!

with 7 more lessons to go, I would not worry at all, groove that swing in, and you'll probably get to woods with 2 or 3 lessons to go.

keep it up, really interested to know how it goes when golf season comes back

It sounds excellent to me, CJ. Players want to bang the big stick. Sometimes instructors give in and go there. I think it is great that your guy is working incrementally with you like this. #smartmove

One Mr seve learned to play by mastering one club at a time. The three iron on the beaches of spain htne the next, so on and so forth. Be patient my friend you are on a good path. The swing on a 7i is the same swing you put on a driver, the difference between the two is the length.

CJ the way it's going is perfectly normal. Getting the swing mechanics right is easier with the short/mid irons and getting those mechanics right is so crucial so when we move to the longer clubs our mechanics don't break down.

When we move to a longer club too early we revert back to bad habits more easily.

I do almost all my work during my lesson with my 7i and rarely do we get into anything longer & when we do its only a couple swings.

I took 2 lessons early 2013 and my pro only had me swing PW. His thought "if you can't make a proper swing with a wedge, you'll never make it with a long iron." The fundamentals are soo important and often over looked I think that we forget how much they affected every club. Keep at it, I know you won't regret the work you're putting in!

Back