Callaway Speed Regime Golf Balls Preview - SR1 SR2 & SR3

I have one more round to play and then I will have a big write up between the Hex Black Tour, SR3, and SR2 golf balls. So far I am loving what I am seeing.

I have one more round to play and then I will have a big write up between the Hex Black Tour, SR3, and SR2 golf balls. So far I am loving what I am seeing.

Can't wait to read it. I'm putting these against my b330- RXS & chrome +

Just found this guy in my Callaway Staff bag I used during the ultimate club testing. Thought all were long gone.
#SR2

ezybypu6.jpg

I thought mine were all gone too and found one in the bottom of my bag. It made my day.

Look what just hit my door step.

y5u3avu5.jpg

Spotted the tags at Dicks for these. $47.99 I think I'll stick with the super softs when I can et them in yellow

FWIW Callaway reps will be at my local Golfsmith tomorrow with sleeves to give away. Check your local stores to see if they are having a similar event.

Spotted the tags at Dicks for these. $47.99 I think I'll stick with the super softs when I can et them in yellow

The price is certainly an obstacle. But, I will say this. I have been impressed enough with the SR3 that I would pay a few more bucks for a dozen over the other comparable balls in the market. They're that good.

The durability is also key. I've played a couple rounds with the same ball, and it is still in usable condition. Not "tournament" condition, but I would bring it out for another round rather than throwing it into the shag bag. I can't say that with a lot of other premium balls.

The price is certainly an obstacle. But, I will say this. I have been impressed enough with the SR3 that I would pay a few more bucks for a dozen over the other comparable balls in the market. They're that good.

The durability is also key. I've played a couple rounds with the same ball, and it is still in usable condition. Not "tournament" condition, but I would bring it out for another round rather than throwing it into the shag bag. I can't say that with a lot of other premium balls.

I can completely agree with that. For me I'm no where near good enough to justify the price for balls as often as I lose them. It's good to hear they hold up well.

I really looking forward to try these out, hopefully they will be available over here soon. Love my Hex chromes, played with a new one today.

We have a "perk" website for work where we can redeem points that we periodically receive for doing extra work, etc. Well, we received points at Christmas and I found out today that they were about to expire. I went on the site and saw the SR series was already loaded on there! Suh-weet! Two dozen ordered of the SR3, free to me!!!! Bonus!

This is my last SR3. I've retired it so I don't lose it.

y2uza9e4.jpg

That's awesome. But, Callaway is making more of them. :Alien

Yes, but will they be pre-release balls given to us at the pre-release Apex testing?

As far as swing speed goes I'm between the sr1 and sr2. When it becomes golf season again in 3 months (damn WNY winters) I'll probably buy a sleeve of each to compare. I still have yet to find a ball that I feel as confident with all around as my prov1x but love to try new options. Cant wait for golf season....

I think that they should do a six ball pack with two of each ball in them so people could test all three to decide which works best for them.

I think that they should do a six ball pack with two of each ball in them so people could test all three to decide which works best for them.

I agree, I wish all companies would do this when releasing a new line.

It's possible if you contacted one of the Callaway guys on twitter they'd be able to do something like that. Social media is a friend!

It's possible if you contacted one of the Callaway guys on twitter they'd be able to do something like that. Social media is a friend!

I recommended it when I was out there, I also suggested it to my corporate person in charge of golf ball buying, hoping he would be able to set up an exclusive for our company. Still hoping we may see it.

Ok, the Callaway rep had told me that the chrome series would continue to be produced. Guess i got some bad info.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Chrome and Chrome + will remain in line in 2014. It was a multiple winner on Tour last year, including Phil's win at the Open Championship.

A good idea. One thing we tried to do when creating these balls, was to do some of that work (testing) for you. If you know your swing speed with a driver, then the SR ball for you should be easy to identify. The construction and aero on each of the SR balls was designed to perform best for the ball speeds and launch conditions that these speeds tend to produce.
Thanks
@GregSabellaCG

A good idea. One thing we tried to do when creating these balls, was to do some of that work (testing) for you. If you know your swing speed with a driver, then the SR ball for you should be easy to identify. The construction and aero on each of the SR balls was designed to perform best for the ball speeds and launch conditions that these speeds tend to produce.
Thanks
@GregSabellaCG

I think Greg is spot on here. My driver SS is pretty borderline SR2 and SR3 and I found I got good results from both, just tended to prefer the SR3 slightly. I would play either in a heartbeat though. Great golf balls.

Did a little testing of the sr2 and sr3 today. I played the front nine with the sr2 and the back nine with the sr3.

Conditions - 50 degrees and overcast. Course was saturated from the monsoon we had role through on Saturday.

Distance - Since i could only compare carry distance due to the soggy fairways there was virtually no difference. The SR3 may have carried an average of a yard further, if that. I saw consistent drives carrying 240-250.

Accuracy - This category goes to the SR2 it was almost E6 straight. On mis-hits the SR2 was almost auto-correcting and just felt like all it wanted to do was go straight. The SR3 was dead straight on good strikes but when a mis-hit popped up it was visually apparent that the SR3 did not want to fly straight (hince why i only have one left).

Feel - Feel is very subjective but for me the SR2 felt a little better. The SR2 was softer feeling and had a nice muted sound when struck. The SR3 was firmer feeling but not overly firm. The SR3 had a little clicky sound to it off the irons but was not offensive to the ears.

Spin - This was the one thing that really separates these two balls from one another and the SR3 walks away with this one by a landslide. The SR2's green side spin is virtually non-existent. No matter what type of shot a played around the green i could not get the SR2 to check up, it would hit the green and release quickly everytime (very frustrating). The SR3 was the total opposite, i could hit every shot around the green right at the pin and entrust the ball to hit and stop immediately. It was amazing to see how quickly the SR3 checked up.

Conclusion - Are they terrible golf balls? NO! Are they revolutionary golf balls? NO! Are they good golf balls? Yes, both balls perform great in certain categories but lack in others. Overall though they perform well and i believe Callaway was smart to build different balls for different swing speeds with noticeable differences in performance to suit a particular swing speed.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389657886621.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389657886621.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389657901135.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389657901135.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
Nike did this last year with all 4 new offerings. It's a great concept.

I guess I don't necessarily see the need. I know for a fact I don't need the SR1. I could see people being on the fence between 2, but not all 3.

To say I cant wait to get my hands on these is an understatement!

Back