One Plane Downswing and the S...hank

leftyrighty

Reaction score
Handicap
I have decided to focus on getting my downswing more "one plane" since that is what my seems to be. I have done this in an attempt to get more consistent, as I can play awesome one day and terrible the next. I have a set up in my garage to hit little foam balls off old carpet and have been working on this, but I have started to shank some of those shots. At least I think I am shanking them as they hit off to the right of where I am aimed.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong to cause this? At times it works to think of swinging my hands to the left and some times it doesn't. I think it might also work staying "connected" with my left arm to the body but that feels very constricting. Is my posture too bent over? I am just kind of confused by this.

I have posted a link to a few swings and sorry for the poor quality (as the light isn't good) in my garage. These were good hits and not the shanks I am talking about.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoplayer.aspx?id=15168
http://www.swingacademy.com/videoplayer.aspx?id=15169
http://www.swingacademy.com/videoplayer.aspx?id=15170

I am impressed with your swing. You have a great deal going on that is right. I feel in an effort to produce a sinkage plan you've gotten a little out of sync. The club is behind you a good but and should stay out in front of you.

To get the club out in front of you start the arm swing with the left shoulder. You are pulling with the hands at this time abs there is a slight reroute because of this.

A left shoulder start along with the hip clear you already have will drop that club naturally, keep you on plane abs allow for an aggressive or smooth arm swing through the ball.

This should do away with any unwanted shanks.

i did notice when i tried to flatten out my swing last year to run into the same problems. bending over more in the one plane swing that in turn getting you too close to the ball sometimes without realizing it. if you start doing it, just back off and see if it helps with it.

I am impressed with your swing. You have a great deal going on that is right. I feel in an effort to produce a sinkage plan you've gotten a little out of sync. The club is behind you a good but and should stay out in front of you.

To get the club out in front of you start the arm swing with the left shoulder. You are pulling with the hands at this time abs there is a slight reroute because of this.

A left shoulder start along with the hip clear you already have will drop that club naturally, keep you on plane abs allow for an aggressive or smooth arm swing through the ball.

This should do away with any unwanted shanks.

Ok so when you say start with the left shoulder.....you are talking downswing right? Is that why the clubhead stays behind me for a good bit of the downswing and doesn't get out in front?

Ok so when you say start with the left shoulder.....you are talking downswing right? Is that why the clubhead stays behind me for a good bit of the downswing and doesn't get out in front?

Yes and yes. You drop the hands to the inside currently and then your shoulder starts which gets the club behind you.

Yes and yes. You drop the hands to the inside currently and then your shoulder starts which gets the club behind you.

Ok that is what I figured....any tips on trying to quite the hands and let the shoulders start the downswing? I feel this is going to be my biggest issue as I just to be a big time "ringer of the bell" from the top. Does it make sense to say at times I hit it better if I feel like my shoulders are turning and making my swing go outside-in? Not they they actually do but it feels like it.

Start the downswing of the arms with the left shoulder. There are no drills, you just need to practice getting club to the top and starting the down swing with that shoulder.

Ok that is what I figured....any tips on trying to quite the hands and let the shoulders start the downswing? I feel this is going to be my biggest issue as I just to be a big time "ringer of the bell" from the top. Does it make sense to say at times I hit it better if I feel like my shoulders are turning and making my swing go outside-in? Not they they actually do but it feels like it.

I understand what your saying. You get really high and very deep in your swing at the top. Flexibility is not an issue for you at all. So to say you feel like your coming outside-in makes sense to me. I'd love to see a front view of your swing, but it looks like you could stand to keep your wrist hinge longer. You do a very good job keeping the same plane back the thru, but I think your need to get your club vertical sooner. Meaning that on your take-a-way the club head stays outside your hands the entire time going up, and coming down to impact. On your one plane swing you'll want keep that club face traveling as close as your can up the starting position shaft line to the top of the swing, and one the down swing, your hands start to drop and as Freddie mentions in his comment, starting the move with your left shoulder will help. The transition down to impact with the left shoulder, keeping your wrist hinge longer and now your club face should follow the same starting position shaft line as it went up. Currently, both take-a-way and down to impact your club face it to the left of that line. If you can work on getting that fixed, you should spot feeling that outside in your talking about I bet.

I understand what your saying. You get really high and very deep in your swing at the top. Flexibility is not an issue for you at all. So to say you feel like your coming outside-in makes sense to me. I'd love to see a front view of your swing, but it looks like you could stand to keep your wrist hinge longer. You do a very good job keeping the same plane back the thru, but I think your need to get your club vertical sooner. Meaning that on your take-a-way the club head stays outside your hands the entire time going up, and coming down to impact. On your one plane swing you'll want keep that club face traveling as close as your can up the starting position shaft line to the top of the swing, and one the down swing, your hands start to drop and as Freddie mentions in his comment, starting the move with your left shoulder will help. The transition down to impact with the left shoulder, keeping your wrist hinge longer and now your club face should follow the same starting position shaft line as it went up. Currently, both take-a-way and down to impact your club face it to the left of that line. If you can work on getting that fixed, you should spot feeling that outside in your talking about I bet.

Are you talking about in the back swing when my hands reach hip height? It looks like there the club-head starts to get outside of my hands. I understand what you are saying about this and have thought of working on this in the past, but never really focused on it.

Tadashi - What do you think?

Are you talking about in the back swing when my hands reach hip height? It looks like there the club-head starts to get outside of my hands. I understand what you are saying about this and have thought of working on this in the past, but never really focused on it.

Take a look at Rory's swing, he gets a little more vertical than you, but your build looks to be the same and your swings are close.

Start at the 18 second mark when it's right behind him. You see how the club head follows the initial shaft position/angle at address?

At the 1:36 mark from the front, if you can see what Freddie mentioned about the left shoulder starting the motion down to impact. If you can keep the hinge/lag in the wrist like he does....money!

Last edited:
Jay text me that vid Thanks

Take a look at Rory's swing, he gets a little more vertical than you, but your build looks to be the same and your swings are close.

Start at the 18 second mark when it's right behind him. You see how the club head follows the initial shaft position/angle at address?

At the 1:36 mark from the front, if you can see what Freddie mentioned about the left shoulder starting the motion down to impact. If you can keep the hinge/lag in the wrist like he does....money!

I could watch that swing over and over again.

I think your swing is solid and doesn't need too much to tinkering.

Was a right about the point in my backswing you were talking about? When my hands get about hip height my clubhead goes back behind my hands.

I think your swing is solid and doesn't need too much to tinkering.

I would have to say I agree. I like where my swing is most of the time. I am just trying to get that one plane downswing theory....which is start the downswing with the shoulders like you said. I am going to try to take some more swings and maybe in a few days try video again and see if I can't make some improvement.

I noticed like Agent Jay said that I get the club a bit out of whack on the backswing but at the top I feel I am in good position and then I start the downswing with my arms not shoulders....So I will work on the downswing only and once I get that down I will re-evaluate the backswing. Do you agree that the backswing might get a little out of whack but at the top I am where I want to be for a one plane swing? That is my natural backswing and haven't messed with it so I decided to match the downswing theory in hopes of more consistency.

I would have to say I agree. I like where my swing is most of the time. I am just trying to get that one plane downswing theory....which is start the downswing with the shoulders like you said. I am going to try to take some more swings and maybe in a few days try video again and see if I can't make some improvement.

I noticed like Agent Jay said that I get the club a bit out of whack on the backswing but at the top I feel I am in good position and then I start the downswing with my arms not shoulders....So I will work on the downswing only and once I get that down I will re-evaluate the backswing. Do you agree that the backswing might get a little out of whack but at the top I am where I want to be for a one plane swing? That is my natural backswing and haven't messed with it so I decided to match the downswing theory in hopes of more consistency.

Nothing wrong with that. The one thing I would say is, never settle in your swing. Look how many times Tiger has changed his swing, right. You have a very solid foundation of a swing, for sure. Depending on your goals as a golfer, that will determine how far you take your swing. Right now you're an 8 handicap. I assume you want to improve as we all do, so keep practicing and working towards perfecting your swing. No one has a perfect swing, but there are minor adjustments you (and all of us) could make in our own games to better ourselves towards our goal.
It's up to you, but I would suggest this. Work on your downswing like you mentioned, and if you can, set up an alignment rod or an old shaft at the same angle as your club and work on making sure your staying in the plane you want....both to the top of your swing and back down.
Good luck Josh, look forward to seeing you improve!

Agent Jay I appreciate the feedback and look to post a video back soon to see if I have improved. It will be hard to start with the shoulders because I felt I was doing that until I looked at the videos. Not sure how to not move the hands first. Maybe if I feel like I move them out towards the ball which with turn my shoulders. That might be awful but feel and actual doing are different so I might video that feel and see how it actually looks

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Ok Agent Jay and Tadashi...took some swings tonight and made 3 videos. Haven't had a chance to look them over yet but go for it. Let me kno

#1...This is just tried to shorten up and drive my shoulders....http://www.swingacademy.com/videoPlayer.aspx?id=15308
#2...This is just tried to feel like my hands moved out towards the ball before I started bringing them down....http://www.swingacademy.com/videoPlayer.aspx?id=15309
#3...This is just tried to feel like I kept moving...not sure but the ball squirts way right but slowing it down doesn't look like the hosel go anywhere near the ball...http://www.swingacademy.com/videoPlayer.aspx?id=15310

If you don't mind make a comment about all 3...I will review the videos better tomorrow...Thanks in advance

As I said earlier your move is solid. Can it be improved upon, sure. But for the purposes of what you are trying to achieve I would keep working on swing or video #2.
The club was still inside but your lines at the top are solid. Work on that left should starting that upper body movement and left hip the entire swing.

I think a good way to practice your shoulders first move is to cross your arm over your chest. Get into you set up position and turn the shoulders til your 90*. Just make this motion. Then you create the triangle made with your arms and just turn your shoulders. Eventually you'll grab a club and make the same motion.

You have to train your big muscles to swing the club not your fast twitch muscles.

As I said earlier your move is solid. Can it be improved upon, sure. But for the purposes of what you are trying to achieve I would keep working on swing or video #2.
The club was still inside but your lines at the top are solid. Work on that left should starting that upper body movement and left hip the entire swing.

I think a good way to practice your shoulders first move is to cross your arm over your chest. Get into you set up position and turn the shoulders til your 90*. Just make this motion. Then you create the triangle made with your arms and just turn your shoulders. Eventually you'll grab a club and make the same motion.

You have to train your big muscles to swing the club not your fast twitch muscles.

Ok just so I am clear...you think the swing in video #2 is the best?

Also, do you have any idea what happened in video #3? The ball shoots to the right but doesn't look like the hosel go anywhere close to the ball.

Ok just so I am clear...you think the swing in video #2 is the best?

Also, do you have any idea what happened in video #3? The ball shoots to the right but doesn't look like the hosel go anywhere close to the ball.

The club released late as a result you lead with the hosel. It was a very armsy swing

Does anyone think I would benefit from really trying to keep my left arm pressed against my chest throughout the swing? I have never really done this (don't think my arm gets away from my chest too much) but I am trying to think of ways to better incorporate my core and not be so armsy.

James,

Just got to reading some of this stuff back over and have a question. When talking about feeling the start of the downswing with the left shoulder.... That's the left shoulder turning behind me correct? Would also the feeling of the right shoulder working down and out towards the ball be the same thing?

Thanks

Sent from my Moto X

Back