Line Influence 105's when it gets a little deeper.

I've heard good things about the Influence 105's. My understanding is they are terrific in the crud. If memory serves, I think the person I spoke with said he skis them front seat, rather than using a more neutral stance. But I may be remembering incorrectly since it was about a year ago.

Yeah they are definitely a crud buster. They're a damp, powerful ride vs. a super floaty, Super 7 type ride. Not a big "smear" turn ski if that makes sense - they like to carve turns in pow, not smear. I ski them pretty forward and aggressive too, but I actually kind of like that - I learned on the east coast where I had to really aggressively carve on the hard snow/ice, so it means I don't have to change my technique as much. Plus they really like to go fast! :D

Our ski conditions are pretty depressing in the PNW right now. People at Baker are saying it's the worst start to a season in 10 years or more. Just my luck! I've only been up 3 times (due to the crappy conditions) and haven't even sniffed anything resembling powder yet, and this is the ski area that averages around 700 inches a year...my powder skis are crying themselves to sleep right now! Just gotta keep positive I guess, hoping it will dump soon.

How's everybody else's season so far?

I finally get to go skiing again this year after almost a 9 year hiatus! no snow around here now, but looking forward to a trip to Wachussett in MA late Jan and a long weekend in NH in late Feb.

It's been years since I've been skiing but I came across some of my old photos this past weekend and it has me wanting to make another trip out to CO. Of course the problem is that we are in the process of trying to get started building a house... so skiing won't be in the budget for a few more years.

20 minutes from my house :clapp:

Snowbird last week:

Today, getting rocked:

Glad it is getting some snow (albeit little). I am going for 2 days in mid-January and 7 days in early February. Mostly at DV, but will hit PC and Canyons once at least.
Pretty excited.

Glad it is getting some snow (albeit little). I am going for 2 days in mid-January and 7 days in early February. Mostly at DV, but will hit PC and Canyons once at least.
Pretty excited.

Conditions right now are "no bueno". Not apocalyptic bad, just not too good. We are stuck with a temperature inversion- cold in the valley, warmer up at the resorts (buddy called me from the lift at Park City a few hours ago, said people are skiing in long sleeve t-shirts). We are relying a lot on man-made snow at present. We need some snow, as in right now, but nothing big in the forecast.

Deer Valley is outstanding, absolutely one of my favorites and is actually one of the best resorts to hit on a powder day, as Snowbird gets tracked out FAST and it can get a bit violent on powder days with fighting to get first tracks. Most of the people skiing at Deer Valley don't really seek out the powder stashes. PC is good resort as well. I don't care for The Canyons at all, but I am glad it exists to lighten the skiing traffic at Deer Valley and Park City. :)

Our ski conditions are pretty depressing in the PNW right now. People at Baker are saying it's the worst start to a season in 10 years or more. Just my luck! I've only been up 3 times (due to the crappy conditions) and haven't even sniffed anything resembling powder yet, and this is the ski area that averages around 700 inches a year...my powder skis are crying themselves to sleep right now! Just gotta keep positive I guess, hoping it will dump soon.

How's everybody else's season so far?

Ours has been outstanding so far. Only 1 non-pow day of those I've been up. We only avg 300-350/yr so not as much of an expectation. Already have better coverage this year than all of last so folks are praising ullr with all they have.

Been a week since a decent drop though and its warmed a little so things are getting icy.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm Headed to Crested Butte, CO in 2 weeks. Cant wait. I hope they have been getting some powder.

Conditions right now are "no bueno". Not apocalyptic bad, just not too good. We are stuck with a temperature inversion- cold in the valley, warmer up at the resorts (buddy called me from the lift at Park City a few hours ago, said people are skiing in long sleeve t-shirts). We are relying a lot on man-made snow at present. We need some snow, as in right now, but nothing big in the forecast.

Deer Valley is outstanding, absolutely one of my favorites and is actually one of the best resorts to hit on a powder day, as Snowbird gets tracked out FAST and it can get a bit violent on powder days with fighting to get first tracks. Most of the people skiing at Deer Valley don't really seek out the powder stashes. PC is good resort as well. I don't care for The Canyons at all, but I am glad it exists to lighten the skiing traffic at Deer Valley and Park City. :)

yikes. Not good regarding current conditions. Crossing my fingers. Yeah, I love DV; we get in about 15-20 ski days a year there. My wife loves to ski corduroy, so DV is best for her. We head to the others when one of our park city pals joins us on the board.

Its dire here, I'm not certain my mountain will even open. Were coming off of shattering the record for the driest year in recorded history(since 1911), and its not looking like we'll come out of it anytime soon.

Average rainfall here is just over 19 inches, the old record was 11.5 in 1950 something. This year we got 8.9.

Its dire here, I'm not certain my mountain will even open. Were coming off of shattering the record for the driest year in recorded history(since 1911), and its not looking like we'll come out of it anytime soon.

Average rainfall here is just over 19 inches, the old record was 11.5 in 1950 something. This year we got 8.9.

Yikes dude, sorry to hear that. Our conditions may not be great up here, but we are definitely fortunate to even be open considering southern WA and OR right now. I know Snoqualmie hasn't opened yet either...

Looking at the live webcam of the parking lot at Mt. Ashland right now. 41° and nothing but grass and rocks.

yikes. Not good regarding current conditions. Crossing my fingers. Yeah, I love DV; we get in about 15-20 ski days a year there. My wife loves to ski corduroy, so DV is best for her. We head to the others when one of our park city pals joins us on the board.

Finally some good news here...... it is DUMPING right now. The massive snowflakes just don't show up in the photo for some reason. View out my office in downtown Salt Lake City:

Of course, the resorts are just a 30 minute drive from downtown SLC. The resorts could have about 2 feet of the new fluff by tomorrow. Ullr has answered our prayers.:clapp:

Great to see all the dumps Baker has been getting. I keep an eye on that mountain cuz usually we get hit right after. Unfortunately, we've only been getting a few inches at a time. We need a double digit dump bad. So icy right now

Sent from my ADR6300

Great to see all the dumps Baker has been getting. I keep an eye on that mountain cuz usually we get hit right after. Unfortunately, we've only been getting a few inches at a time. We need a double digit dump bad. So icy right now

Sent from my ADR6300

Yeah that was us too, up until about 5 or 6 days ago. One thing about Baker, the snow seems to all come at once rather that bit by bit. And that's definitely true this week. SO excited for my pow boards to come out of hibernation! :banana::guitar:

Ski vacation booked for last weekend in Feb... North Conway, NH here we come! (now to pray to the snow gods)

Yeah that was us too, up until about 5 or 6 days ago. One thing about Baker, the snow seems to all come at once rather that bit by bit. And that's definitely true this week. SO excited for my pow boards to come out of hibernation! :banana::guitar:

Us too. We have 300 sunny days a year here, so our storms are much the same. That's what makes these lil drops so frustrating. They can make or break a season for us.

Sent from my ADR6300

Ski vacation booked for last weekend in Feb... North Conway, NH here we come! (now to pray to the snow gods)

Better pray REAL hard. It was a total washout at Killington this weekend. It rained hard for about 15 hours and was in the high 40's.

We took 2 runs and quit before they charged us for it.

Better pray REAL hard. It was a total washout at Killington this weekend. It rained hard for about 15 hours and was in the high 40's.

We took 2 runs and quit before they charged us for it.

That stinks! Hopefully they get a proper winter up there over the next month.

typo's courtesy of Samsung Galaxy S4 autocorrect... Enjoy!

I've gotten into skiing this winter. I'm having a blast. Can anyone recommend a good set of level 1 skis, boots, and poles for no more than $400?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Getting all of that new for under 400 is going to be next to impossible, but if you look used on the skis and poles, you may be able to sneak it in. A good beginner ski that I started on is the Atomic Smoke, and you should be able to find older models on the bay for less than 250 w/ bindings depending on condition.

With boots, don't buy used and don't buy online. Go to a good ski shop and make sure they are fitted properly. They are easily the most important part of the equation, and used boots won't fit quite right because the liners are usually heat molded to your foot shape.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Was suppose to go yesterday, but we've had horrible weather here over the past couple of days. Just about all of the snow is gone because of the rain and warm temperatures. Going to be at least a week or two before conditions are going to be usable again.

Back