Callaway Apex Pro Irons Review Thread

Thanks Penglynns! Lol, I'm far from a PGA pro now too :). I got out of the business in 1998 so I barely remember it now! I've played for fun only for the last 12 or so years, but a new job has me playing more with customers and a crazy round(44 on the front, 32 on the back nine) sparked my competitive juices recently. If you can hit the R9 TP I honestly believe you will be blown away by the Apex Pros. To me, the regular version, at least in the six iron, was only a hair more forgiving. And it was only more forgiving on thin hits. That being said, the consistency of the Pro version is off the charts good, along with superior feel/sound. Good luck demoing them, stores in my area got the demos in yesterday so they should be easier to find. Also test the new XHot 2 woods and hybrids, they are impressive as well.
Good luck!

There wasn't a huge difference in forgiveness for me either between the two but my miss is often on the thin side, so going with a combo set worked for me.

My miss is much more likely to be fat or a little heel/toe - how do they perform on those?

There wasn't a huge difference in forgiveness for me either between the two but my miss is often on the thin side, so going with a combo set worked for me.

That makes sense, the regular Apex did cover thin hits better. I'm getting Apex Pro 3-pw because that's the set make up my retailer sells. I currently play 4-pw so I'm guessing I'll be using a hybrid for the 3 but won't know until I hit the Apex Pro. I think a combo set with the right shafts could be a great option!

My miss is much more likely to be fat or a little heel/toe - how do they perform on those?

I think you'll be fine with heel and toe hits with the Pro. As far as "players" clubs the Apex Pro was the most forgiving for me by a good margin. I honestly don't thing the standard Apex is that much more forgiving for a player with a decent swing. I was really surprised how much more forgiving they were over the AP2s, which I find pretty forgiving!

good luck

How are the short irons for 3/4 or 1/2 swing shots? I hit lots of these type shots to take spin off on approaches. Thanks!

How are the short irons for 3/4 or 1/2 swing shots? I hit lots of these type shots to take spin off on approaches. Thanks!
I found them to be great on 3/4 shots, but my time with them has been limited. I know Tadashi70 plays the 3/4 shots pretty regularly with great success. I'm sure he could offer some thoughts on this.

I hit the apex pro at golf town along with the 714ap2. I need new irons and can't decide what I should go with.

I think the apex are softer and they are alittle longer for me (don't really need the extra distance.)
love the stock shaft offerings In the apex pro's
i am leaning towards the apex pro In the looks department

ap2 are tried and true and look nice and play great
not a huge fan if the dgs300 (prefer Kbs feel)

if I was going to get the apex pro it would be either the Kbs tour stiff or the Kbs v tour xstiff (90-92 mph 6 iron SS)
4-pw and I would have the lofts weakened by 1* so I could stick with my vokey 52-56-60 wedge gaps

any thoughts from anyone else on these 2 irons?

Last edited:

I only have the 8-PW with the Pros but have had good success with the 3/4 and 1/2 swings. I am not the best at hitting knockdown shots and knocking down the ball flight in the wind but it is something I am working on and the results I have seen with these so far gives me confidence going forward.

I hit the apex pro at golf town along with the 714ap2. I need new irons and can't decide what I should go with.

I think the apex are softer and they are alittle longer for me (don't really need the extra distance.)
love the stock shaft offerings In the apex pro's
i am leaning towards the apex pro In the looks department

ap2 are tried and true and look nice and play great
not a huge fan if the dgs300 (perfect Kbs feel)

if I was going to get the apex pro it would be either the Kbs tour stiff or the Kbs v tour xstiff (90-92 mph 6 iron SS)
4-pw and I would have the lofts weakened by 1* so I could stick with my vokey 52-56-60 wedge gaps

any thoughts from anyone else on these 2 irons?

Hey Pinhunter, I own 714 AP2s and compared them to the Apex Pro a few days ago. First off the AP2s are tried and true just like you said. I totally get why they have such a strong following on tour and with amateurs alike. The thing I like best about them is how predictable they are.

As as much as I like the 714 AP2s I found the Apex Pro to outflank them in every way. The Apex Pros feel and sound better, they are longer both on solid strikes and mishits, and I really like the shape of them and how they sit behind the ball.

Don't get me wrong I could play the AP2s for years to come and be happy. However I'm going to move to the Apex Pros for a little more help on mishits, and I just love their feel.

Good luck in your search!

Hey Pinhunter, I own 714 AP2s and compared them to the Apex Pro a few days ago. First off the AP2s are tried and true just like you said. I totally get why they have such a strong following on tour and with amateurs alike. The thing I like best about them is how predictable they are.

As as much as I like the 714 AP2s I found the Apex Pro to outflank them in every way. The Apex Pros feel and sound better, they are longer both on solid strikes and mishits, and I really like the shape of them and how they sit behind the ball.

Don't get me wrong I could play the AP2s for years to come and be happy. However I'm going to move to the Apex Pros for a little more help on mishits, and I just love their feel.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks!

it is going to be a tough decison as I love titleist equipment. But these apex pros feel so nice. I find the top lines and the soles pretty much the same. The only difference is the head on the apex pro is alittle taller then the ap2. Love the full satin finish on the pros.

also am I reading this right that Kbs v-tour is a stock offering in the apex pro?

Thanks!

it is going to be a tough decison as I love titleist equipment. But these apex pros feel so nice. I find the top lines and the soles pretty much the same. The only difference is the head on the apex pro is alittle taller then the ap2. Love the full satin finish on the pros.

also am I reading this right that Kbs v-tour is a stock offering in the apex pro?

I know what you mean about tough decisions! Again, the AP2s are great clubs! And at the end of the day would either of us play significantly better over a season with one over the other? I doubt it, although there may be a slight nod to the Apex Pros on days when I'm a little off. Could the Apex Pro's added forgiveness let me carry that hazard on a mishit that would have otherwise gone in the hazard with the AP2s? I do believe that's what my decision boils down to, because unlike the classic "game improvement vs players club" debate, both clubs are players clubs that are forged and accurate. So to me it's which club inspires more confidence shot after shot....and isn't confidence huge?

For me the Apex Pros do give me that extra little confidence boost, and the added forgiveness with amazing feel/sound sealed the deal....I pick my Apex Pros up today.

And yes, the KBS V-tour is the stock shaft!

good luck!

I only have the 8-PW with the Pros but have had good success with the 3/4 and 1/2 swings. I am not the best at hitting knockdown shots and knocking down the ball flight in the wind but it is something I am working on and the results I have seen with these so far gives me confidence going forward.

thanks Jeff! I feather lots of shots so being able to take a little off is important to me. In my experience this has as much to do with head shape and turf interaction as anything else. I'm excited that they work for you on less than full swings!

I finally got to hit the Apex Pro yesterday. All I can say is "WOW"! The 6-iron had the Recoil shaft. I told the guy I wanted to hit the KBS Tour V. He said, "give the Recoil a couple of swings, first". I hit three shots that just felt like melting butter. I had him switch the shaft out for the KBS Tour V. I hit about 10 shots that felt great. Very soft and just jumped off the face, but not as soft as the Recoil. I was shocked. The Recoil was never even on my radar. I had him put the Recoil back in and hit about 5 more shots. Back to melting butter. The Recoil just takes all the vibration out of the shot, plus I was hitting the Recoil about 5 yards longer than the KBS.

Look of the 6-iron didn't seem much different than my X-Hot Pros. Maybe just a bit less offset and slightly thinner top line. Didn't compare them head-to-head, but that was my perception. Feel was quite a bit softer than my X-Hot Pros with KBS Tour V shaft. Feel with the Recoil was a whole other level of softness...like nothing I've ever felt before. I'm 52 and am starting to have pain in my wrists, elbows and thumb joints. I could see these shafts really helping me out with the pain.

Does anyone have experience with the Recoil shafts? I'd love to hear feedback.

I will own these irons. Just trying to schedule a fitting at the Callaway Performance Center in Carlsbad. I just want to make sure the Recoils perform as good as they feel. Can't wait!

I finally got to hit the Apex Pro yesterday. All I can say is "WOW"! The 6-iron had the Recoil shaft. I told the guy I wanted to hit the KBS Tour V. He said, "give the Recoil a couple of swings, first". I hit three shots that just felt like melting butter. I had him switch the shaft out for the KBS Tour V. I hit about 10 shots that felt great. Very soft and just jumped off the face, but not as soft as the Recoil. I was shocked. The Recoil was never even on my radar. I had him put the Recoil back in and hit about 5 more shots. Back to melting butter. The Recoil just takes all the vibration out of the shot, plus I was hitting the Recoil about 5 yards longer than the KBS.

What flex shaft did you try in the recoil? Is stiff in a steel shaft the same as stiff in graphite ?

Both were stiff. From the research I did last night on the Recoil shaft, they play very much like steel in flex and launch angle. They did not feel like any graphite iron shaft I have ever hit. More like a steel shaft with no vibration.

Great to hear about the pros,I also have been using the r9 tp but always wanted to try forged irons loved the feel of the pros and look at address.
The better half gave me a $800 voucher for Xmas , so pro shop hear I come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went back and hit them again tonight. No brainer for me. So soft and just feel great! Never thought I would be a callys guy..Apex pro 4-pw ordered today! Kbs v-tour stiff. 2* upright.

Goin to be a long wait till spring!!!

Might have the lofts weakend a degree yet but will wait till they show up and I play them a bit

Went back and hit them again tonight. No brainer for me. So soft and just feel great! Never thought I would be a callys guy..Apex pro 4-pw ordered today! Kbs v-tour stiff. 2* upright.

Goin to be a long wait till spring!!!

Might have the lofts weakend a degree yet but will wait till they show up and I play them a bit

Sweet! Congrats!

Hello guys, new to the site.

I was dead set on buying the Mizuno MP-59s with the KBS tour shaft(Stiff) in December, as these clubs felt like butter. But I decided to wait to wait and try out the Apex pros. I currently play the Razr X forged(2010 model) and I hit my current 6 iron 160-165yds.

So today, I hit the Apex pros today at a local PGA superstore and I have to say these irons are really good. I was able to compare the MP-59 and the Apex pros, both clubs had an average 4500~rpm, 14.7 launch, 89mph SS. I was hitting in one of those hitting bays, so I'm not sure how accurate the readings are. I was hitting the MP-59s 185-190yds, I've never hit a 6iron that far before. Shot shapes was a 5 yd pushdraw. The dispersion of about 12 balls was 9yds which is pretty good. Moving on to the Apex pros, I was hitting the 6 iron 195-205yds. Same shot shape, and a dispersion of 7 yds. These clubs are awesome. I want to try these clubs out on real grass to see how the turf interaction is. Has anyone experienced that much distance gain from using the Apex pros? My current 4iron is my 200yd shot.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hello guys, new to the site.

I was dead set on buying the Mizuno MP-59s with the KBS tour shaft(Stiff) in December, as these clubs felt like butter. But I decided to wait to wait and try out the Apex pros. I currently play the Razr X forged(2010 model) and I hit my current 6 iron 160-165yds.

So today, I hit the Apex pros today at a local PGA superstore and I have to say these irons are really good. I was able to compare the MP-59 and the Apex pros, both clubs had an average 4500~rpm, 14.7 launch, 89mph SS. I was hitting in one of those hitting bays, so I'm not sure how accurate the readings are. I was hitting the MP-59s 185-190yds, I've never hit a 6iron that far before. Shot shapes was a 5 yd pushdraw. The dispersion of about 12 balls was 9yds which is pretty good. Moving on to the Apex pros, I was hitting the 6 iron 195-205yds. Same shot shape, and a dispersion of 7 yds. These clubs are awesome. I want to try these clubs out on real grass to see how the turf interaction is. Has anyone experienced that much distance gain from using the Apex pros? My current 4iron is my 200yd shot.

Thanks for the feedback.
Welcome to THP and I'm glad you had a chance to hit these clubs. I went from the xforged to the apex pros and saw 1/2 gain in distance. I expect I'll see more once I swap the shafts from the v2 to tours

Welcome to THP and I'm glad you had a chance to hit these clubs. I went from the xforged to the apex pros and saw 1/2 gain in distance. I expect I'll see more once I swap the shafts from the v2 to tours

I'm in the same boat, I'm about five yards longer carry versus the X Forged. I'm going to give the Tour V shaft a few rounds before deciding whether or not to put my KBS Tour shafts in them.

Let's keep this up! Can't wait for mine to come in so I can add more to this thread! I was full bore titleist until I hit these bad boys. Super excited for the upcoming golf season!!

Mine are scheduled to arrive today! Cant wait

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Let's keep this up! Can't wait for mine to come in so I can add more to this thread! I was full bore titleist until I hit these bad boys. Super excited for the upcoming golf season!!

I'm really surprised that you ended up with these.

Back