Figuring out what shaft from iron shafts...

DylanMT

Reaction score
So today I did a little custom fitting for some new irons. The main thing the fitter (Tim) wanted to concentrate on was getting me hitting with the right shaft.

We concluded that I needed a stiff flex at around 120 grams. I got some new irons that I can tell I hit much better just due to the flex change and weight change from my old set. But here is my question...

This fitting was just with irons but I'd like to get a new driver/woods and maybe a hybrid. I don't really have the money to be spending on new clubs or fittings so I was going to look in the used area. Obviously I know that the iron shaft I have in my irons are much different than the graphite shafts the other clubs would have. But is there anyway I can roughly tell what shaft weight would work best for me for drivers, woods and hybrids? And should I stick with the stiff flex?

Cheers

That is quite hard to say based on your iron fitting. Although if you got some raw data, there are some great people here that could give you some decent suggestions. Get a screen shot of your launch numbers and it would be a good start.

I figured it would be hard but thought it'd be worht a shot. My club fitting wasn't as fancy as some on here and I'm not really sure what data you need so I'll just give you the limited data I have. All of this was taken with my current 7 iron.

height: 5'10" hand to floor measuremnt: 36"
(he also wrote 2 degrees to 3 degrees.... not sure what this was for. lie angle? all of this was written on a notepad and photo copied to me.)
Some numbers with the 7 iron include:
Launch was 19
Ball MPH was 92

Not sure what else you need so I won't fill the message with useless stuff but I also have spin numbers and distance numbers.

swing speed with the 7 iron was 82 mph. if you need any of the other mizuno numbers (tempo and things like that) let me know.

Mizuno Optimizer numbers would be helpful as would which shaft you did end up with in the irons (and which other ones you tried that were less than optimal).

I figured it would be hard but thought it'd be worht a shot. My club fitting wasn't as fancy as some on here and I'm not really sure what data you need so I'll just give you the limited data I have. All of this was taken with my current 7 iron.

height: 5'10" hand to floor measuremnt: 36"
(he also wrote 2 degrees to 3 degrees.... not sure what this was for. lie angle? all of this was written on a notepad and photo copied to me.)
Some numbers with the 7 iron include:
Launch was 19
Ball MPH was 92

Not sure what else you need so I won't fill the message with useless stuff but I also have spin numbers and distance numbers.

swing speed with the 7 iron was 82 mph. if you need any of the other mizuno numbers (tempo and things like that) let me know.

Mizuno Optimizer numbers would be helpful as would which shaft you did end up with in the irons (and which other ones you tried that were less than optimal).

No problem. Sorry new at this so not sure what I'm doing.
Headspeed 80 MPH
Tempo 6
Toe Down 6
Kick Angle 6
Release Factor 9

My budget was really small for the irons so I didn't really try out a lot of shafts. The ones I ended up going with were the KBS Tour Stiff 120 grams. I can't tell you what the other shafts I tried as we just discussed shafts by weight. The ones I tried but didn't feel right were all lighter shafts at around 99 grams, 110 and 115 grams.

The truth is that it is very difficult to translate iron shaft fittings to woods/hybrids. That said, your Mizuno Optimizer numbers suggest a pretty quick tempo with a very early release. Generally, for those I fit with an early release, the shaft features (tip stiff, low spin, etc) matter little as an early release does not optimize those. If I were guessing, your release plus tempo plus the KBS stiffs suggest that you need slightly heavier than average shafts, probably shorter than average and not tip stiff (if you like the feel of the KBS Tours). Depending on which line you choose, the flex could be stiff or regular.

No problem. Sorry new at this so not sure what I'm doing.
Headspeed 80 MPH
Tempo 6
Toe Down 6
Kick Angle 6
Release Factor 9

My budget was really small for the irons so I didn't really try out a lot of shafts. The ones I ended up going with were the KBS Tour Stiff 120 grams. I can't tell you what the other shafts I tried as we just discussed shafts by weight. The ones I tried but didn't feel right were all lighter shafts at around 99 grams, 110 and 115 grams.

The truth is that it is very difficult to translate iron shaft fittings to woods/hybrids. That said, your Mizuno Optimizer numbers suggest a pretty quick tempo with a very early release. Generally, for those I fit with an early release, the shaft features (tip stiff, low spin, etc) matter little as an early release does not optimize those. If I were guessing, your release plus tempo plus the KBS stiffs suggest that you need slightly heavier than average shafts, probably shorter than average and not tip stiff (if you like the feel of the KBS Tours). Depending on which line you choose, the flex could be stiff or regular.

Thanks bellairemi. I know its difficult to pick a shaft this way. Just wanted something to point me in the right direction. What exactly are heavier shafts compared to light shafts for woods and hybrids. I don't even know if 120 grams is real heavy for irons.

120 is on the heavier side these days - many of the stock steel irons shafts (game improvement lines especially) are in the 85-90 gram area now. A little heavier in the driver would be in the 65/70 gram area, 70+ grams for fairway woods and 80+ grams for hybrids. Again, this is a generalization based off what you have presented and we may get very different results if we did a fitting together.

Thanks bellairemi. I know its difficult to pick a shaft this way. Just wanted something to point me in the right direction. What exactly are heavier shafts compared to light shafts for woods and hybrids. I don't even know if 120 grams is real heavy for irons.

Absolutely. I know its hard to decipher what I need on data with an iron. Just another fitting isnt something that I can afford right now.

Best bet would be to hit up a retailer near you. Many will have last years demos on sale and you would be able to hit as many as possible and see what gives you the best results

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Absolutely. I know its hard to decipher what I need on data with an iron. Just another fitting isnt something that I can afford right now.

IMO you should find a place where you can hit many options for free. I honestly don't know what your retailer selection looks like in Montana, but if you only want to hit them yourself there may not be a fitting charge. For me at least, shaft fitting is a personal thing that is less about the numbers on the screen and more about how it feels when I swing. Both are important, but to me feel is key. That's something you can only figure out for yourself.

Best of luck!

I like a heavier iron shaft right around 130g in my Irons. 65g in my driver, and 75 in fairway woods. That just seems to be where I get my best results with my swing. These numbers were validated with my fitting

Back