Rain gear - a few reviews

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
I had the pleasure of being in a lot of weather this weekend and wore a few different items. Here's a quick rundown on how it went.

Ping Low Side Full Zip Rain Jacket
The Good: This is an inexpensive light jacket (can find it on sale for 1/2 off MSRP, about $40). It has a concealed hood, fits well and doesn't constrict movement. This has been my go to jacket when we have typical PNW drizzly light rain and it has been great.
The Bad: I learned the hard way this jacket is not intended for sustained heavy storms. It just couldn't handle the conditions I played in and I was soaked through to the bone and miserable.

Snake Eyes Performance Weather Jacket
The Good: The model I own has removable zippered sleeves which makes it an extremely versatile piece, either a full jacket or a jacket with sleeves that extend to about the elbow to improve mobility and breathability. The Goretex materials used by GolfSmith are very effective at keeping the rain out.
The Bad: Those same Goretex-like materials GolfSmith uses aren't as good as the real deal and it shows when it comes to breathability, which this jacket does not have. While the rain may stay out the sweat stays in, and you end up wet anyway. Also, the jacket is cut rather large so fit isn't superior.

FootJoy Tour XP Rain Jacket
The Good: The jacket is a little heavier than the Ping without sacrificing mobility. It kept me warm in high winds and cool temperatures. It kept me perfectly dry too, although the rain wasn't as heavy or continuous as the day I wore the Ping Jacket. Fit is great and I like the styling (I got several compliments on the jacket). I'll feel more comfortable saying this after I'm out in heavier weather but my initial impression is this is a top notch piece of clothing/gear.
The Bad: The front zipper is a little sticky but that's getting a little nit-picky, as the jacket is new and this will hopefully improve with time.

Columbia Sportswear Omni-Tech Packable Pants
The Good: I wore these all three days and didn't feel a drop of rain or sweat ever even though I was in some serious weather. Awesome performance from these pants. The pants have a Velcro adjustment above the foot to tighten the pant leg. Bandon caddies wear Columbia gear under their mandatory rain gear to stay dry, which tells me a lot about the quality of these products.
The Bad: My pants are actually backpacking pants. The material is a touch on the noisy side and the cut is a touch large, unlike modern rain pants that are meant to look like slacks. Also, the pockets were just okay for golf use.

Last edited:
Granted I have yet to play in the rain, Columbia sounds like the way to go. Apart from the Snake Eyes, it may also be the cheapest.

Granted I have yet to play in the rain, Columbia sounds like the way to go. Apart from the Snake Eyes, it may also be the cheapest.
I always buy things on sale or at Outlets...I'm not certain their regular gear is especially inexpensive. Also, I don't think they make golf specific gear anymore. But if that doesn't bother you and you can find it on sale the Omni-Tech level stuff flat out works.

Thanks for the review, Frank!

I'm looking for rain gear right now - I want to be able to golf on those days when most people won't go (we get almost as little sun here as in your neck of the US!) and I can't justify paying a ton of money for a good suit (well, actually, I can justify it to myself, but not to my wife).

I'll lok into the FJ & Columbia stuff! Keep posting your reviews - they are very helpful!

Thanks!

Those Columbia pants really are super for what you are likely looking for, as long as you can accept the lack of golf specific features (pockets, etc). To give you some perspective, mine are at least 15 years old and have been on probably 50 - 75 backpacking trips (mostly packed away) but still flat out perform. The weather was absolutely brutal that day I wore the Ping jacket at Bandon. Everyone, including caddies with their expensive issued gear, was completely soaked through. The only thing that was dry were my legs. It was extremely impressive.

I am hopefully the FJ jacket will shine too but heads up that it is priced like a higher end piece of equipment.

Thanks!

Those Columbia pants really are super for what you are likely looking for, as long as you can accept the lack of golf specific features (pockets, etc). To give you some perspective, mine are at least 15 years old and have been on probably 50 - 75 backpacking trips (mostly packed away) but still flat out perform. The weather was absolutely brutal that day I wore the Ping jacket at Bandon. Everyone, including caddies with their expensive issued gear, was completely soaked through. The only thing that was dry were my legs. It was extremely impressive.

I am hopefully the FJ jacket will shine too but heads up that it is priced like a higher end piece of equipment.

I've been doing a quick search on ebay & noticed there are now lots of "Omni-tech" pants - some for snowboarding & some (I think called vertical victory) that are listed specifically as rain pants. Were yours the ones listed as snowboarding. perhaps?

Also, what size did you wear? I normally need 36" waist - wondering if this is L or XL?

Also - did the Columbia pants have a drawstring waist? Belt loops?

I always feel you're better buying the best waterproofs you can afford as they will last you so much longer. They are pricey but look at Galvin Green

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay responding, Grins. Yes, they have a draw string at the waist. There is one pocket on the backside with a flap. They also have reach through and regular pockets on the front, which is a nifty feature that allows you to carry things in the rain pants or access items in slacks worn underneath the rain pants.

Thanks! There are a ton of "omni tech" pants on ebay - but I think a lot of them are ski pants & I would guess too heavy/hot for rain gear for golf. I'll keep searching & might pull the trigger soon...

They definitely are not snow / ski pants. They are packable rain pants for hiking / backpacking. They say Titanium on the flap of the back pocket. There is a big tag like thing on this inside that describes Columbia's Omni-Tech technology. Since mine are so old I'm not sure you'll be able to find the exact same thing. This looks reasonably close:
http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Mens...1394577719&sr=1-1&keywords=columbia+rain+pant

These look like they might be Columbia's current version:
http://www.columbia.com/Men's-HydroTech-Packable-Rain-Pant/FM8073,default,pd.html

Update on the FJ jacket...I wore it all day in a consistent rain and stayed completely dry. A hood might be nice, otherwise it is great.

Back