Learning to Love the Plateau! The path to golf Mastery

Grins

AMDG
Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
Since we spend so much time trying to improve our golf games, I thought I’d start this thread about the nature of mastering any skill. This original post borrows heavily from George Leonard’s book, Mastery. (Shown below: It’s an excellent read, by the way – I highly recommend it, and not just for golf!)

In his book, he takes a look at how learning occurs, using training examples from golf, tennis, and aikido.
He states that the path to mastering any skill set looks something like this:

plateau.jpg

Learning takes place in apparent “spurts” separated by plateaus. In his words:
“To take the master’s journey, you have to practice diligently, striving to attain new levels of competence. But while doing so – and this is the inexorable fact of the journey – you also have to be willing to spend most of your time on a plateau; to keep practicing even when you seem to be getting nowhere.”​

On the road to mastery, some of us are what he calls “hackers.” (I wonder where he came up with that term?) He describes hackers as those individuals who are content to stay on one plateau forever, who aren’t willing to work to improve.

Leonard is not saying that we all need to become masters at every aspect of life. He is simply pointing out the pitfalls along the path to mastery, and also showing how modern society & cultural values are essentially “anti-mastery”, and absolutely “anti-plateau”.

While the name of this site is The Hackers Paradise, I think many here are working hard at moving along the path to mastery of golf.

I am definitely a hacker. I’ve been playing golf at the same level for most of my life. And there is certainly nothing wrong with being a hacker! But at this point in my life, I am willing to do more, to work harder than I ever have to become better. And one of the first steps to me becoming better is to (in Leonard’s words) Learn to love the plateau.

What can and does happen when you first start training is one event (that first lesson, a new club, etc.) causes a sudden improvement on your game. You get excited, and start working harder on your game, expecting that you should see a similar rate of improvement (or at least some outward sign of improvement) over time. When it doesn’t happen, when it appears like you’re not getting any better, it can be easy to abandon what we’re working on and look for a different course of action.
It can be very frustrating to work hard on your swing and see no real progress, or even seem to go backwards for a while. Modern culture is all about the quick fix. It’s easy to get bored or distracted, or try another “remedy” or swing tip or new equipment – hoping to hit the jackpot.

But being on the plateau is like the story of the Chinese bamboo tree (I got this from Hank Johnson’s book, How to Win the Three Games of Golf – which is another excellent, must-read too!):
“You water and fertilize a little seed for a year and nothing happens. You keep watering and fertilizing the seed for the second year and still nothing happens. The same for the third and fourth year. Then early in the fifth year, this plant suddenly grows 90 feet in six weeks.​
Now the question is, did the bamboo tree take six weeks to grow, or four-plus years and six weeks? Improving at golf is like that.”​

Leonard took up aikido at age 47, and eventually became a black belt and opened his own school. He uses martial arts and Eastern philosophy to make points about becoming a master. He relates how he used to be impatient to learn the next thing and see improvement, but over time, he learned to really love the day-to-day process of learning, whether or not improvement was evident or not. He came to see that the people who became masters did so not so much by talent but by mindful practice.

Two more quotes from his book:
“People we know as masters don’t devote themselves to their particular skill just to get better at it. The truth is, they love to practice – and because of this, they do get better.”​
“Actually, the essence of boredom is to be found in the obsessive search for novelty. Satisfaction lies in mindful repetition, the discovery of endless richness in subtle variations on familiar themes.”​

JB asked the question in an earlier thread, “Why Don’t You Take Lessons?” and many said with the limited time and money, they made a choice to play over practice. That has always been me. I’ve always felt like even if I did take lessons, I wouldn’t follow through on the work in between lessons to gain any benefit.

This year, I am making a conscious choice to work hard, and learn to love any plateaus that come along while I’m practicing. I am going to find the Zen-like quality of practicing in the present moment, and learn to appreciate subtle changes in my swing and my game. I am going to enjoy practicing – I’m going to get lost in the moment, to look at being on the plateau as a gift of time to myself.

I’m already doing this with my putting practice. I am starting to really love the times I work on my putting green in the basement. I’m not doing it hours at a time or anything, just 10-20 minutes here and there. But I’m not focusing on my goal of 10-in-a-row, or whatever. I am starting to really pay attention to how I grip the club, how each swing differs from the last, how my shoulders feel each time; and I’m starting to notice small things I missed even a few weeks ago. I can’t say that I’m becoming an excellent putter. I can say that I’m more aware of what I’m doing, and eventually – with practice – I expect I’ll be a better putter.

I hope those of you who are working on improving your swings and your golf game will post here about your experiences with being on the plateau. Hopefully, these posts will ease some of the frustrations and impatience we have and keep us going along the path to mastery.

41LARSEOYwL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

9780671866839_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Attachments

• plateau.jpg
    plateau.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Interesting. Looking back at my golf life, hitting plateaus seems to be the norm. I'll give this book a read.

Tiger Woods, pretty well lives by this, right? He's changed his swing how many times since joining the PGA Tour?

Tiger Woods, pretty well lives by this, right? He's changed his swing how many times since joining the PGA Tour?

As far as loving to practice, I'd assume Tiger is up there. Is that what you meant Jay? I wasn't implying that we should all change our swings to become master golfers. I guess this is mainly sending out the thought to be patient and trust the process (Oh no! I sound like a Cleveland Browns owner/CEO - lol!).

I tell this to my science students over and over, because most of them will never practice enough (i.e., do enough problems) to master the material (i.e., know it & own it). So now it's time for me to follow my own advice.

I might not be able to afford a hands-on coach, but I plan on taking a lot of these video lessons/Freddie Kong posts to heart & actually practice them with purpose & not just half-ass it.

Last edited:
These past few days have definitely been "plateau" days. With a foot of snow on the ground, and me under the weather, there isn't much to do except work on putting.
I have a Birdie ball 4x18' green (dual stimp option), and on one of he holes I put in a ring of green material that creates a smaller diameter (2.5" dia). I've been practicing 4-footers, mainly. Got to the point where I could make 10 straight putts, and 10 or 11 out of 12.

Now I'm struggling to make 6-8 of 12. NOt sure what's up, but I think something small might've crept into my swing, so I'm analyzing everything instead of just getting up there & going through the routine. I'll keep focusing on the feel and the setup. It's kinda strange, but I can tell when it's gonna go in, based on the stretch I feel in my lower back as I make the swing!

Next up: building a swing guide to help groove a very repeatable putting stroke.

I’ve been practicing every day on my Birdieball putting green. Looking back on my rounds this past year, I felt like I missed too many putts in the 6-foot range, so I decided to practice mainly 6-footers. I‘d do at least ten at one time & add them up when I got to 100 attempts.

Starting two weeks ago, my initial make rate was 63% and that went up pretty quickly to 70-74% and then quickly plateaued. My stroke still seemed too inconsistent, so I tried to really focus on what felt good/bad and what was happening on the misses vs. the makes.

I was already practicing with my Putting Professor (Kostis) & doing that with an aim stick balanced on the sight line of the putter and ending at my sternum. I felt like my head remained very steady and I think I was doing a good job of turning around my sternum. Time to look for other areas to improve.

Earlier this year at the Pine Lakes outing, SPi instructor Chris Carfangia showed me that when the index finger of my top hand (which is the right for me - I putt left-hand low) is raised off the club to fit on top of the fingers of the low (left) hand underneath, this braces the right arm/wrist (you can feel it tighten up & see/feel the tendons flexing).

I felt that my grip pressure - especially in my left hand - was a little inconsistent. Just recently I saw a Martin Chuck video where he demonstrated that if you have tension in your index finger & thumb, it locks up your wrist, but you can hold onto the club grip pretty tightly with the last three fingers and still be very relaxed in your wrists & forearms (he demonstrated this by squeezing his thumb & index finger together - it is pretty amazing how much harder it is to move your wrist joints like this!).

Well, I had already being doing the “thumbs off” drill for putting (thanks to Jman and his SPi instructor), so it seemed like a logical extension to relax my left index finger & thumb & really focus on holding onto the grip with the last three fingers in each hand.

The last thing I discovered was that a fairly high percentage of my misses were just a few rotations short but pretty much on line. So when I was making the best swings & dropping putts where everything felt good, I paid attention & noticed that on my good shots:

1) On my backswing my hands moved and covered up my right foot. The putter head moved about 8 inches back.

2) On my follow-through I kept the putter head low, and I noticed that my hands go to the left of my left foot (from my point of view at address); my right wrist just covers up or passes to the left of my shoe.

3) I was already in a “hands neutral” and “Pat O’Brien” stance the - according to the SeeMore fitting guide:
http://www.seemore.com/fitting/
pobStance.jpg

4) I definitely had no “hit” in the swing. I just let my arms and the club pivot around my sternum. This is why I love practicing with the aim stick on my sternum & sitting on top of my putter, and then making swings on the Putting Professor - it really grooves my motion & eliminates any sway or tendency to hit at the ball.

5) I line up the putt by leaning over and getting my right eye (dominant eye) over the ball, and swivel my head to follow the line into the hole and make any slight adjustments. Then I stand up and into the “Pat O’Brien” stance.

I think using my feet as a way to measure the length of my swing has really helped with my distance control.

Since using these slight adjustments, my percentage of made putts from 6 feet has risen to 85-90%. At one point I made 40 in a row. I should point out that I wasn’t using the same spot on the green, I moved around as much as possible; and my green has a pretty noticeable right-to-left break because it sits on the basement floor.

The other thing I’ve noticed with all this; it is very hard to stay focused on each shot. When I finally do miss, it’s more from lack of focus rather than technique. I don’t really aim the ball in the setup, or I forget to follow through the same amount, etc. It's when I get careless & just go through the motions - that's when I miss. It feels like martial arts training in a way - I need to really concentrate but stay relaxed and not tense. Those two things are hard to maintain at the same time.

In case you aren't familiar with the Putting Professor, it looks like this:

I actually was planning on making a home-made version but got a good deal on mine. Bsically for the drills I do, any plane board or even a stick suspended horizontally about 10" above the ground will work.

Chris Carfangia was using this on the green:
[video=youtube;qh-wuA9qoPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh-wuA9qoPU[/video]
(see 3:50 into the vid for the putting setup)

He also used this in his studio:
http://www.eyelinegolf.com/collections/putting-aids/products/edge-putting-rail-70-white-slight-arc

Anything that allows the putter to work on a tilted plane as it goes in an arc will work fine.

The real key is to use an aim stick to balance on the top line of your putter and have it rest against your sternum as you make swings. This drill is fantastic!

Back