Help!! Mentally fried!!!

glazanis

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok guys this is my conundrum. I've reached paralysis from analysis stage and I'm in need of sage advice. I'm a higher handicapper so of course I struggle with a consistent swing. Yes I am taking lessons and yes my instructor has given me advice on clubs as well. I'm looking for GI not SGI. I've narrowed it to a couple choices and I'd like some feedback. Keep in mind YES I know it's the Indian not the arrow. YES I know it's preference and what you like best. I'm just looking for feedback. Also I value straight over long (although both would be nice). The finalists are:

Titleist 714 AP1

TM Speedblade

Nike Covert 2.0 (local pro shop has a demo...pretty sweet)

Cobra Amp Bio Cell

I'm trying to avoid stupid wide soles and mega-offset.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I personally didn't care for the speedblade, haven't hit bio cell or the Nike yet so can't comment on those. The AP1 is nice from my limited time with it(spent more time with the rest of the line).

Have you hit all 4?

Yes I have. Thanks for the response. What's really making the decision hard is when you don't have a quasi-repeatable swing it's really hard to determine which one you are hitting better.

From the irons you listed I would go with the 714 AP1's all day long. Long, straight, and a nice look.

When I made smooth contact the Titleist and Nike felt smooth and stable

Why are you moving away from your current gamers?

2 reasons:

1) They are old hand me downs, cheap store brand

2) They are very VERY offset and soles as wide as my loafers

I've hit all of them except the Bios. I'd suggest looking at some launch monitor numbers to see if there's a big difference there between the clubs for you.

I own the SpeedBlades and think they're some of the most forgiving mid irons ever. I will say I'd like to spend some more time with the Coverts. They have a nice light feel to them, but something tells me putting an aggressive swing on them would be a bad idea, whereas I feel like the AP1's can handle that type of swing better.

Hit each multiple times on different days over the next few weeks. One will start to rise above the others.

Taps away

I appreciate all the feedback. I have hit them all a few times haha. I think I'm overthinking it now. The TM Speedblade were nice but I was either way long or way short with them but of course that's more my swing than the club. The more I think about it the more it's down to Covert 2.0 and AP1. Bio Cell are very nice though. Sole and top line MUUUCH narrower than pics online lead you to believe.

Standard specs on each?

Ok guys this is my conundrum. I've reached paralysis from analysis stage and I'm in need of sage advice. I'm a higher handicapper so of course I struggle with a consistent swing. Yes I am taking lessons and yes my instructor has given me advice on clubs as well. I'm looking for GI not SGI. I've narrowed it to a couple choices and I'd like some feedback. Keep in mind YES I know it's the Indian not the arrow. YES I know it's preference and what you like best. I'm just looking for feedback. Also I value straight over long (although both would be nice). The finalists are:

Titleist 714 AP1

TM Speedblade

Nike Covert 2.0 (local pro shop has a demo...pretty sweet)

Cobra Amp Bio Cell

I'm trying to avoid stupid wide soles and mega-offset.

Thoughts?

Yes. Standard length and lie

AP!s or Cobras out of what you listed. Wilson Staff Ci11 or Di11s are decent clubs as well. I also liked the adams CB3s.

Didn't like the feel of the Uniflex in Di11...never tried Ci11

Thanks bellairemi. They really are that close. I'm thinking the AP1 is gonna end up on top. I want another go with the new Covert 2.0 irons though. The pro shop only had the demo 6i since they're not out yet but it was quite nice.

Really liked my AP1's. while the CB3 was not on your list, they were mentioned Phenom. They are my current gamers, and can be had new for a very good price right now. KBS shaft is stock on them.

JM

Don't think they're a little too far above my skill level?

I play the CB3 better than the AP1's. Tere is a thread in here somewhere about the CB3 irons. The KBS shafts really help me. If I try to over swing them its no bueno. If I take a nice smooth pass, I can actually feel the shaft load and shots are nice. I don't think they are any harder to hit than the AP's. YMMV.

JM

Golfio has them new 4-pw&gw for $350!!

Try to hit them first. You have hit all the others, and there is no substitute for a fitting.

Need to find a local shop that has them

The AP1 has a higher MOI than the CB3 and is more forgiving on both toe hits and those low on the face. But that alone does not mean that the CB3s might be a better fit (shaft, sole design, etc.)

Don't think they're a little too far above my skill level?

Back