Stupid Rangefinder Question?

NickH

Reaction score
Handicap
Myself
So I've searched this, but can't get a straight answer.... What is the difference (if any) between a "golf rangefinder" and a regular old rangefinder that I would use hunting or shooting? When comparing different models, it seems like golf-specific ones are usually a bit more expensive than their non-golf counterparts. I'd like one that I could use for everything, but I don't know what I'm giving up by going either way.

So I've searched this, but can't get a straight answer.... What is the difference (if any) between a "golf rangefinder" and a regular old rangefinder that I would use hunting or shooting? When comparing different models, it seems like golf-specific ones are usually a bit more expensive than their non-golf counterparts. I'd like one that I could use for everything, but I don't know what I'm giving up by going either way.

They tend to have the ability to detect pins and therefore give you a more accurate reading.

I know some RF's nowadays have the jolt feature that goes off when it finds the flag, and some used to only register if they were aimed at flags with special prisms or something on them. Other than that though, I just don't know but I'd be curious to find out too.

The golf ones usually have a higher powered lens/more magnification than the hunting ones.

I have a hunting one I use on the course and its difficult to hit a pin or tree

Good to know, would there be any downside to using a golf one hunting?

From what I've seen hunting rangefinders will usually have furthest target priority, so can sometimes pick up a tree or something behind the pin before the pin. Can make it harder to make sure you have the right target and distance.

Good to know, would there be any downside to using a golf one hunting?

I have never tried it, my hunting one has a slope feature that I use for bow when in a stand don't use it for rifle season though. I Don't see why not as long as your within 2-300 hundred yards.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have never tried it, my hunting one has a slope feature that I use for bow when in a stand don't use it for rifle season though. I Don't see why not as long as your within 2-300 hundred yards.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Makes sense

One major difference for the Bushnell devices is what they call Pinseeker mode. It scans and locks in on the pin a bit better than non-golf versions do.

Slope, wind & pressure are illegal even if they can be turned off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

One major difference for the Bushnell devices is what they call Pinseeker mode. It scans and locks in on the pin a bit better than non-golf versions do.

Wish I had a pinseeker mode!

Tazz
@bigtazzGOLF

This ^^^ I have both the Bushnell V2 and the Bushnell Archers choice range finders. V2 searches for the pin while the hunting style searches for a bigger object/target. The hunting version can be used but they also will get manipulated readings at longer distances with a white or black target object. Take it for what it is, I am a long time archery hunter/target shooter.

Thanks Guys, I would think that the pin seeker mode alone would make it worth the extra money for a golf-specific one.

Thanks Guys, I would think that the pin seeker mode alone would make it worth the extra money for a golf-specific one.

I use mine in scan mode, and would love to have pinseeker! I aim for something (usually a bunch of trees or a hill) behind the green and go back and forth until the yardage drops. That's when I hit the pin.

The golf ones usually have a higher powered lens/more magnification than the hunting ones.

I have a hunting one I use on the course and its difficult to hit a pin or tree

This one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the red Callaway Diablo. It will find the pin pretty easy.

Jackal

I use an older Bushnell hunting model and don't have any issues at all. The pinseeker is a nice feature and can sometimes make things easier (especially 200+), but it isn't necessary. If you have a steady hand it only takes a couple of clicks. Plus, some of them are a bit cheaper. Places like Bass Pro will run sales or clearance them from time to time.

Back