Callaway Apex Pro Irons Review Thread

I went with these from the Grandaddy, however I went with the DG X100. I haven't received them yet, but this past weekend I was making the rounds through golf shops in the area, and decided to hit the pros with the KBS V shafts. Totally a different feel for me from the DG. I wasn't hitting the ball poorly with them, but I didn't seem to generate the same flight characteristics I had seen with the X100. Much shorter in fact which I was pretty surprised with the results.

I went with these from the Grandaddy, however I went with the DG X100. I haven't received them yet, but this past weekend I was making the rounds through golf shops in the area, and decided to hit the pros with the KBS V shafts. Totally a different feel for me from the DG. I wasn't hitting the ball poorly with them, but I didn't seem to generate the same flight characteristics I had seen with the X100. Much shorter in fact which I was pretty surprised with the results.

The kbs tour v shafts I have in my set are 10g lighter than my normal gamers which are kbs tour 130. That being said, I am seeing some adjustment time. 3 rounds so far and I am starting to see better ball striking. The jury is still out on whether these will get reshafted with kbs tour 130 or make the leap to ust recoil 125 f5. The problem is that no one has the recoil 125 to demo in my area. May end up ordering one shaft to try

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Finally got a chance to hit these tonight, and WOW. They are every bit as soft as my Adams CMB's, but definitely more forgiving, particularly off the toe (which is where I miss). They were forgiving to the point that I actually hit the Pro 7i more consistently than the regular Apex 7i - 5 yards further on average, with just a slight draw. The 4i was definitely not as kind haha, but there's no way I'd game the 4i in this set - I'd either stick with a hybo or maybe put the Apex 4i in.

Definitely impressive so far! Oh, and just a GORGEOUS stick the Pro is!!

I've only gotten a few swings on these clubs but I'll be in Myrtle beach ready to give a full review.

But from the swings I have made have been awesome and so pure. I have never played a forged iron and so far these aren't leaving my bag anytime soon.

The more I hit these the more I love them! So soft, so freaking accurate. And the 3 iron is easy enough to hit that it's making me rethink carrying one.

callaway has a winner with these!

So I pit in a recoil 125 f5 in my 6i...
u9y4uty3.jpg

Here is stats from prior to reshaft (kbs tour v 120g)
3ahadu3a.jpg

Here with recoil:
e5amazes.jpg

Was not familiar with the software on the sim at golf galaxy so the two pics are from swings that I felt were about average for me. Recoil launched just a bit higher but seemed like a good penetrating flight. Interestingly bit less ball speed, but due to launch and less spin got better distance. The feel is great. I can honestly say the two felt very similar but much less vibrations from recoil. More extensive testing to be done...

So I pit in a recoil 125 f5 in my 6i...
u9y4uty3.jpg

Here is stats from prior to reshaft (kbs tour v 120g)
3ahadu3a.jpg

Here with recoil:
e5amazes.jpg

Was not familiar with the software on the sim at golf galaxy so the two pics are from swings that I felt were about average for me. Recoil launched just a bit higher but seemed like a good penetrating flight. Interestingly bit less ball speed, but due to launch and less spin got better distance. The feel is great. I can honestly say the two felt very similar but much less vibrations from recoil. More extensive testing to be done...

6 more carry yards is impressive

[Hit the 6 iron (KBS Tour-V stiff) again today at the range against my i20 6 iron (CFS stiff) and the MP54 6 iron (KBS Tour stiff). I know, different shafts, but the V is very similar in weight and feel to the CFS, while the KBS tour is 10 grams heavier. Apex pros are similar in performance to my i20s in terms of ball flight and distance (Pro launches a little lower). The 54s launch considerably higher and flew about 5 yards shorter than the other two unless absolutely pured.
I am liking the Callaways more every time I swing them. Soft but solid feel and gorgeous looks. Some have talked about the small head size but they look similar to the i20s to me (but with less offset) so I don't find them intimidating to look down at. Fitting day coming in February. Cheque book will be at the ready :)
Sorry for the blurry pic. Apex Pro on the left/i20 on the right.
image.jpg

Man I cannot wait to get these irons and start dialing them in

Did not get to swing my 6i with the recoil on the course today. .. was striking it well on the range warming up

Prior to my Lesson this morning, I ventured over to the Fitting cart. I put together the combination that I will be getting at some point. A few observations

The overall weight of these is heavier than my current gamers (Mizuno MP-60). Which was a little different than I remember, and not in a negative way. It made it very easy to feel the location of the clubhead through the entire swing.
The distance of the shots were very much in line with my Gamers, I didn't notice a huge gain, maybe 3-4 yards of Carry.
Trajectory was a much nicer in comparison to the MP-60
Dispersion was where the money was being made. I hit 25 shots at the simulated green, and missed 2 with these. With my current set I missed 8.

I'm really excited to bag these in the near future.

Finally got some descent weather around here. I have be seriously itching to get back on the course with these clubs. A month and a half lay off from golf has been awful.

4-5
I didnt get to hit many 4 or 5 irons in my round. It seemed that the few I hit were more punches than full swings. I did hit each of these shots very straight. I have said all along that these are some of the straightest clubs I have hit.

6-8
Had a good bit of shots with the mid-irons. I seem to still be having distance control with these irons. There was a lot of wind out there, so my round may not be a great judge for distance control. I was very impressed with the ball flight though. The ball really launches off the face. I was not going to attempt to work the ball having not played in over a month, so I am still unsure if I will able to hit the shots I want when I want to. At least my miss will be straight, and long.

9-PW
I had really good control with these short irons. Everything just felt solid. I was able to control the distance and flight of the 9 and PW much better than say the 7 and 8. It just seems like I could make it do exactly what I wanted, hit and stick. I think I am getting some serious spin with these irons, and I am not a player that can spin the ball. I am really wishing now that I had gotten the AW/GW with this set. I think could really score well with these clubs once I get back in my groove.

Two threads in a row.....jlukes I'm super jealous! Beautiful sticks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Finally got some descent weather around here. I have be seriously itching to get back on the course with these clubs. A month and a half lay off from golf has been awful.

4-5
I didnt get to hit many 4 or 5 irons in my round. It seemed that the few I hit were more punches than full swings. I did hit each of these shots very straight. I have said all along that these are some of the straightest clubs I have hit.

6-8
Had a good bit of shots with the mid-irons. I seem to still be having distance control with these irons. There was a lot of wind out there, so my round may not be a great judge for distance control. I was very impressed with the ball flight though. The ball really launches off the face. I was not going to attempt to work the ball having not played in over a month, so I am still unsure if I will able to hit the shots I want when I want to. At least my miss will be straight, and long.

9-PW
I had really good control with these short irons. Everything just felt solid. I was able to control the distance and flight of the 9 and PW much better than say the 7 and 8. It just seems like I could make it do exactly what I wanted, hit and stick. I think I am getting some serious spin with these irons, and I am not a player that can spin the ball. I am really wishing now that I had gotten the AW/GW with this set. I think could really score well with these clubs once I get back in my groove.

Glad you were able to get these out again. A month and a half layoff is way too long, man.

KC70, those are some good looking numbers with the both the Recoil and KBS.
Jlukes, those long irons look real good.

4yjy8a2a.jpg

I can't wait to put these thru their paces. I ended up with the Tour-V in X flex with these and I am thinking I will really like the setup.

I was expecting just the Tours but I think the Tour-Vs will be a great compliment to my game.

4yjy8a2a.jpg

I can't wait to put these thru their paces. I ended up with the Tour-V in X flex with these and I am thinking I will really like the setup.

I was expecting just the Tours but I think the Tour-Vs will be a great compliment to my game.

you went with "X" Flex I will be interested to hear how they are, i have been looking at them but was going to go with Stiff

you went with "X" Flex I will be interested to hear how they are, i have been looking at them but was going to go with Stiff

I did go with X, I am hoping they will fit the bill nicely. I will be getting these on the LM later this week or this time next week at the latest.

Played my first round with my new Apex Pros today and they felt like BUTTER!
My previous irons were X Hot Pros with PX95 6.0 and after hitting demos I decided that since the Apex Pros didn't launch as high or with as much spin with V Spec stiff shafts that I would get mine in the Regular Flex and see what happens, all I can say is this was a good move on my part for my swing as they are actually flighting the ball perfectly for me and end up being as long if not slightly longer for me than my X Hot Pros were, but with a much softer feel and are easier to maneuver both ways then the X Hots. Balls came into the greens and One Hop Checked! Now, I play several times a month with a set of "Classic" clubs (Persimmons and 1970"s Maxfli Aussie Blades) and have always loved the "Feel" of my Australian Blades as they too were soft like butter but the turf interaction left a little to be desired as they have little to no bounce and the leading edge is Ruler Straight so they tended to want to Dig a lot, but Callaway has done a fantastic job with these clubs on the Turf Interaction front as these babies seemed to go through the ground effortlessly and my shots also stayed true on line!
Bottom line from my vantage point is that if you are a lower handicap player in the market for some forged irons, don't pull the trigger on anything else till you give the Apex Pro a try, absolutely the best forged CB Iron from Callaway to date!
I have owned and played 3 different previous models, the X Forged Irons 2007 and 2009 and the Razr X Forged, but for my money these new Apex Pros are their best yet!

4yjy8a2a.jpg

The 120x are what I have in mine. Coming from the tour 130x there was some adjusting timed needed for the less weight. Last Saturday it seemed I adjusted just fine. Same ol' #kbsfeel!

The 120x are what I have in mine. Coming from the tour 130x there was some adjusting timed needed for the less weight. Last Saturday it seemed I adjusted just fine. Same ol' #kbsfeel!

This makes me happy to hear. I think after the adjustment I will like the little bit of lighter weight.

Still waiting on mine...Today will be 2 weeks since I have ordered from golf town. Nothign special either (just got them 2* up with stock grips and tour v shafts)

Ordered mine from Callaway on the 18th and they will be delivered tomorrow. Only bummer is I am on vacation in Mexico until Sunday. Can't wait to get my hands on these.

Back