Golf Ball Consistency?

JamesA

Reaction score
Handicap
Just a thought guys, will playing with the same brand/type of golf ball help produce consistent results?

If so what golf balls do you guys play?

Just a thought guys, will playing with the same brand/type of golf ball help produce consistent results?

I think there are quite a few threads on this topic...

Honestly I play a golf ball fairly consistently it is usually the Srixon Zstar XV or the Hex Chrome +

I am not sure if it helps produce more consistent results, but I do now how these balls are going to react.

For me, yes. It's all about eliminating variables, especially on/around the green.

I don't know if I can tell whether or not it provides consistency for my game, but I usually play the same ball more out of comfort than anything. I'm sure there are differences between the ball I play and others, but I think the actual difference would be negligible to me.

Certainly can't hurt if it's a good ball for you.

I think so. Knowing whether your ball will check or release around the greens is huge. Also, while most golf balls are pretty consistent distance-wise, I've seen disparity of nearly a full club from one ball to another. So measuring your gaps is something else to consider.

Yes. Balls play different off irons for spin and distance. If you hand me a slick rock ball that doesn't spin I will launch the ball 20 yards past where it should land. It's like getting a flyer lie and hitting a knuckle ball.

Think of it like this. Do you want the same amount of spin on your drives on a consistent basis. This way if you hit a few slices that balloon off to the right really bad you know its something you are doing and not just the balls fault. Do you want your wedge/chip shots to react on the green the same way every time so you can actually plan where you want the ball to land? Do you want the ball to come off the putter in a consistent manner so you can use the same stroke and adjust for distance from the pin? If that's what you are looking for so you can improve your game than it behooves you to use the same ball every round. Nothing wrong with trying some of the new offerings every year to see if one of them might fit your game even better but once you find a ball that fits your game its beneficial to stick with it.

Think of it like this. Do you want the same amount of spin on your drives on a consistent basis. This way if you hit a few slices that balloon off to the right really bad you know its something you are doing and not just the balls fault. Do you want your wedge/chip shots to react on the green the same way every time so you can actually plan where you want the ball to land? Do you want the ball to come off the putter in a consistent manner so you can use the same stroke and adjust for distance from the pin? If that's what you are looking for so you can improve your game than it behooves you to use the same ball every round. Nothing wrong with trying some of the new offerings every year to see if one of them might fit your game even better but once you find a ball that fits your game its beneficial to stick with it.
This ^

I change equipment quite frequently, but I am always hard pressed to change balls. No matter which club I'm hitting, I always know how the ball is going to perform. I don't even like to change ball color to be honest. I play with some guys who have a different ball every time and it works for them.

I loved the Hex Chrome, and love the Chrome + even more. I might give the Speed Regime line a go early in the season, but I'm not likely to change.

I know there are some pretty decent golfers that play whatever they find in the bushes or pick out of the pond, but I believe I play better using the same ball consistently. As has been suggested above, pick the price range you can be comfortable with and try some different balls, then settle on one and stick to it. I am one that believes you tend to get what you pay for with golf balls as with most other things, but I think consistently using even lower cost lines of name brand balls is better than a mixed grab bag.

For what it is worth, I also think it is important to use your game balls for chipping/pitching/putting practice.

I will play the same ball, while I may experiment with a few others through a season. Whenever I am testing, I will still play my normal ball and the other as a second ball so I can compare them in real time versus trying to remember what I normally get out of my usual ball.

I don't stick with a single ball but try to stay in the same class of ball.

Im not good enough to notice a huge difference from ball to ball as long as its in the same category.

I try to keep my options between my two gamers if I'm in a scoring round. If the ball works for you, why use something that potentially doesn't?

Im not good enough to notice a huge difference from ball to ball as long as its in the same category.

same - I've tried many different balls - can't tell much of a difference aside from the sound - big difference in how they sound coming off a driver. Consequently, as I play alone alot, I use the brightest colored balls I can find - I have a hard time seeing white balls in flight if I keep my head down ... I use Wilson smartcore orange balls - brightest ball I've ever seen by far. For me, color is more important than "feel" & I'm pretty good around the greens - chipping is what I practice most & am most confident at - Im a rollout player, not a spinner.

I try to have must of my balls the same so I always get the same results. But at the bottom of the bag I got some crappy balls for those holes I know Ill probably end up losing one. I know at the start of last year I use the PROV1X and man I felt like I could never loose a ball. Great ball but this year going to be using the Z-Stars.

I know there are some pretty decent golfers that play whatever they find in the bushes or pick out of the pond, but I believe I play better using the same ball consistently.

Could this be because they don't have as many mis-hits or swing flaws that they are not punished as much as us hacks are when we game certain balls? Certainly there are some out here that are good enough to be able to pickup virtually any club or any ball and make me look sill out there.

Back