Evil Empires of Golf

CT,
You are right about the public perception. Ironically TM has both the number one selling iron and the number one selling driver right now.

Your point brings up something else as well. Many get mad at companies like Mizuno, TM, Adams, etc... for bringing so many sets of irons and so many drivers out each year. While money is behind it all, I think there is more to it than that. I think part of it is that they are really trying to go after the "we have clubs for every single kind of player" mentality.

JB, I've always wondered about that statement by TM. Are they claiming that one of their drivers is the best selling or is it the TM line. I think back to the R7. By the time they retired the line how many variations within the R7 line were there? 6 or 7 I think. The R9 is already at 4 and it is only the start of the 2nd year!

JB, I've always wondered about that statement by TM. Are they claiming that one of their drivers is the best selling or is it the TM line. I think back to the R7. By the time they retired the line how many variations within the R7 line were there? 6 or 7 I think. The R9 is already at 4 and it is only the start of the 2nd year!

The statement from them is that they are the #1 driver sold (driver line) at retail. It means from a driver line. so it would include all the R9s for example or all the Burners. However the R9 (original) was the number 1 driver sold in 2009 as well. (according to data numbers compiled by 5 golf stores combined)

Do folks still really feel that way about Nike? I know how Nike got into golf, but what does that matter? Especially now?

And do folks believe Nike is still inferior, equipment wise, to the other companies?

Nike makes top notch stuff. It has for awhile now.

Not even Nike haters can debate that.

Haters will always find a reason to hate a given product. I think for the most part on this board, people like the products quite a bit. I know they have done well in all of our shoot outs and we have reviewed just about every product that has come out from them.

Plus they love having contests on THP. Those are always fun.

Haters will always find a reason to hate a given product. I think for the most part on this board, people like the products quite a bit. I know they have done well in all of our shoot outs and we have reviewed just about every product that has come out from them.

Plus they love having contests on THP. Those are always fun.

Good stuff. I'm new around here, so I don't know the general "feeling" about things.

However, the main guy (you) seem to be a fair guy. I like that in people. :D

Good stuff. I'm new around here, so I don't know the general "feeling" about things.

However, the main guy (you) seem to be a fair guy. I like that in people. :D

Thank you for your kind words. This is a pretty active forum with lots of great members with great info. We do not accept advertising, so you will not hear the normal blather about how this product is the best and this product cannot compete and so on.

This is the place to rip through the marketing hype.

Thank you for your kind words. This is a pretty active forum with lots of great members with great info. We do not accept advertising, so you will not hear the normal blather about how this product is the best and this product cannot compete and so on.

This is the place to rip through the marketing hype.

Good to hear. I must admit, I am a bit of a Nike guy (how did you guess?), but part of the reason why I came to like the Nike Golf products is because a lot of others don't or didn't when I first came into the sport.

I had a Sumo2 driver, which I thought was a real innovation in driver design. I like the new Victory Red series, but believe Nike should take a page out of Cleveland's book and make ALL the irons in LH. I know it is a financial bust, but it does serve the whole market.

Believe it or not after being on this forum board for awhile I might try a Nike club out at some time.

Nike and Taylormade. I feel that both are overhyped brands who are well known more because of their marketing hype and because they have sponsored the top players instead of because their product is superior.

Nike and Taylormade. I feel that both are overhyped brands who are well known more because of their marketing hype and because they have sponsored the top players instead of because their product is superior.

Titleist spends more money on marketing than all other companies. So it's a bit unfair to label Nike and TM in that way.

Sponsoring top players gets you recognized. Nike especially hasn't been in golf all that long, so they are still playing catch up. Sponsoring top players is a good way to do that.

As far as "superior" equipment. Nike has come a ways just in the past couple of years. Nike is a officially a big player in the battle to win our golfing hearts. :act-up:

Ummm. How about Titleist. They pay far more players than any other. Its not even close!

Both make outstanding equipment, as do Titleist/Cobra, Mizuno, Adams, Bridgestone, Callaway, PING, and Srixon/Cleveland. "Superior" is a relative term based on what works best for the individual golfer. Just because one brand works well for one golfer doesn't make it a superior product for everyone. The R&D for all of the major manufacturers is very good. None of these companies are consistently or significantly outpacing the competition with their equipment offerings. When it comes to clubs, balls, clothes, bags, and everything else, it all comes down to what works best for "you."

Back