Played with a +3 handicapper yesterday.

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
I played a round yesterday with a guy I'd never met and on the first hole we're walking to our balls and I say to him, "You're obviously a low handicap player, what do you play off?" He told me this handicap was +3 and that he was getting in a practice round before attempting to qualify for the NZ open. He was telling me though that he's struggling currently as he's developed a bad case of the yips, it only took a couple holes to work that out on my own but if he could get his putting sorted he'd be lethal.
Have you played with super low handicappers and how did you find it? I really enjoy it and find I focus on my game a little more. That said though I do enjoy playing golf with anyone regardless of handicap.

I recently started a new job and one of the guys there is a pga instructor. Although he played less then 10 rounds last year he said he hits a lot at his range between lessons. I've played 2 rounds with him, he says he would consider himself a scratch hc only beca hes not on a coure as much as he'd like.

Playing those 2 rounds with him has done wonders for my game. I've never driven the ball so well. It also helps that he's my new couch and sees what I'm like on the course instead of just at the ranges

I've never played with anybody even close to that level. If I had to guess, the best guy I've played with is probably around a 5 or 6 handicap.

The best I've played with it a 10 handicap. And that was pretty good, but if love to have a round with my coach who is a scratch player and strikes the ball so effortlessly.

A good golf buddy of mine is fluctuates between +1 and + 3.

The neat thing about him is he doesn't blow you away with length like some of these young guys--he's in his 40's-- but he gets it out there far enough 260 maybe 270.

But when he misses a fairway or green it makes the local news...ha. Like a lot of really good players he feels putting kept him from doing more in the game. But heck he played Division I golf at Maryland, has won the state publinx and several other local events.

He's a pleasure to play with. Always compliments everyone in the group. Is able to shoot below par while still BS'ing with the group.

Just a solid guy and obviously a great player. I do enjoy playing with him as it does seem to make me want to focus a bit more.

Best I've played with is a 4 handicap, although that might have gone down a bit since I last played with him.

He's the only other golfer I've ever played with who was actually good enough to justify being angry after a bad shot :) He was landing shots almost exactly where he wanted, especially from 100 yards in.

I've paired up with a couple 3-5 handicappers and really enjoyed it. It's amazing to watch those guys master the game. It also really makes you focus and play better. It's so strange how, whether I know it or no, I always seem to play up... or down to the level of those I'm playing with. I played with an older guy who was obviously very, very good, although age was catching up to him. He was a complete stranger, but we had a blast. He gave pointers and tips during my shots, but in a way that was welcomed and helpful.

Working at a golf course means that a lot of the guys I work with play to scratch or better handicaps. I really enjoy playing with them. Love just watching, sometimes asking small questions to pick their brain just to understand their thought process behind a particular shot or club choice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, the really think of so many other things that my hack golfing brain had never really taken into account before, especially the "what-if's" when planning a shot.

not sure of his handicap, but I played back in the day with a guy a few times who was probably similar. I distinctly remember him dropping a 9 under 63 on us one day. He was an older guy with Champions Tour aspirations...had an awesome short game and blew the driver past me about 30 yards. I think his issue was consistency as now he just plays weekly money games at a local muni with one of my friends and a group of guys.

On two separate trips to Orlando I was paired up with pros. Both were +3. One was a club pro and the other just finished with college and giving the mini tours a run. Both played from the tips on long courses. Though both were far, far , far better putters than me it was easy to see that was the area they were weakest in. Fun to see guys strike the ball like that up close.

My good friend who is my neighbor plays to scratch or better and is a coach at the University of Houston. Really cool to play with and even without knowing so makes me step my game up. He never offers pointers unless I ask or I am totally doing something wrong. He will usually give me a list of things to work on at the end of our round and he then personally communicates it to my instructor who he also knows and recommended. It's pretty cool having a friend in the game - some of the perks like trying equipment and working out the University facilities are cool. Using trackman has taught me a lot about the game.

I used to play regularly with a couple guys that were scratch and better, one of them played mini tour events. Initially I was impressed with the way they played the game. As time went on it was apparent that their course management and work around the putting surface was the biggest difference with regards to scoring opportunities. We used to spend a lot of time walking the course and talking about manageable expectations from hole to hole. I noticed by playing with them it had a positive impact on my game as well. It didn't matter what tees we played from they both would play the course I front of them. There is a ton of things to learn by playing with true players of the game.

I played a round w/ Symetra Tour player Joanna Coe when I was down in Orlando a year ago. She has some game and I follow career as she tries make the LPGA tour.

I played with a guy once that can go low, hope to play again soon. His name is Canadaneline. Maybe you've heard of him?

I once caddied for my dad's good friend in a Senior US Open qualifier. He shot 64 in the practice round at Celebration. In all the rounds I played with him, I never saw him card a round over par until the qualifying round, where he just.got nervous and had a terrible round, including topping his tee shot on the first hole into some bushes..

Sent using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

One of my friend's is usually shooting in the low 70's when I play with him. I think it's pretty cool to see someone shoot that low of a score. I think its a great learning experience and you can pick up some stuff for your game. Yeah I am pissed I can't do that but hey it's awesome my friend can though.

Have played with some guys that are around scratch or better. Like others have said, it has a way of making me focus. The things I have noticed is the way the ball sounds off the club or going by (exactly where they want it I might add), course management and scrambling abilities.

Wish I could do it more often.

JM

I have a friend who is a sub handicap, he is the general manager of couple courses now, but back then he was between employers... we played a round at my course and he shot 68 from the tips. 16 pars and an eagle on a par 5 and a par 4 he could drive. I asked him if he ever had a run at the tour and he said he had been competitive on mini tours when he was younger but that he couldn't putt. I think to myself "sheesh you haven't had more than a 6 inch tap in all day, while we're spraying balls all over the green. He replied, i played well today but did you see me sink a putt more than ten feet? I said no, he said that's it. I 'm not a good putter, to win I have to make 4-6 a round, and I just don't.

The pros that we played with at the #Grandaddy were really good, more than likely plus handicaps. Heck, the member that we played with had like 5 birdies in a row or something like that, with a gashed thumb! Oh and sabella shot 65 on the second hardest course I've ever
played.

YEARS ago I was invited to fill out a foursome by a consultant who was getting a 9-hole playing lesson at Forsgate CC in NJ. The pro at the time was Peter Oosterhuis (excuse the spelling). Even while giving the lesson, he managed to shoot the most boring 34 (-2) for nine holes. Straight but not overly long drives, every iron to within 10-15', and good putting.

My best friend is a +3 and it is just fun to watch him. You start to think you can compete with him and then he lays 3-4 birdies in a row on you and you find yourself 5 shots back.

He is an amazing putter and has about 30 yards on most everyone. He tried to play the Hooters Tour but lost his drive and wanted something more steady

KG

Just Tapping Away

Boy I've played with a lot of great golfers. I usually maintain a +5-7 somewhere during the peak season. To see some guys swing effortlessly, bomb it, or just tear up a course is humbling. Shows me that it can be done and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I feel playing with these types of players does elevate my game. I'm highly competitive so I always try to match each shot. I'd love to get to scratch myself some day.

There's a few scratch golfers at our course who went to different colleges to play golf.

Every once and awhile John Hurley comes home, he's probably the best golfer I've seen, haven't played with him, he was on a few Web.com tour last year, didn't do so well. The guy can drive a ball 400 yards if he wants it's unreal the sound he makes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

When I joined my club, I had no idea that one of my oldest friends from another sport was a member as well. We'd just never talked about golf before. One day WardF mentioned that the club champion from his other MGA was also the club champion at our new club. I recognized the name but assumed it was a coincidence. I asked what he looked like, etc... too similar to be a coincidence. I hadn't talked to the guy in a couple years but emailed him that day and it turns out it was the same man. Club champion at two clubs? OK we gotta go play. After meeting him several times on the practice facility we finally got a round in last weekend. He plays off of a +1 handicap. His drivers were long and straight. his iron play was boring and consistent. He putts better than anyone I've ever played with. Like, tour level putting on every hole. I have known the man for about 12 years but I've never been that intimidated playing with anyone before. I played terribly (my fault, not his) but he begrudgingly turned in a 74. Not his best day, but some of the most impressive golf I've ever witnessed in person. I think my competitive nature kept me from hitting a decent shot all day. I just wanted to match his play and every time I didn't, it went to my head.

I have a lot to learn from my friend. I think the biggest lesson is that he spends more time in the chipping/pitching area and on the putting green than the driving range. I'm going to try that this season.

Back