Air Compressor question

Arkie_3_fan

Reaction score
Handicap
I know this is pretty far off topic for a golf site, but since we have people from all walks of life on here, I figure someone might have an opinion or two to share.

I'm looking to get a decent air compressor in the $200 - $300 range. It's main use would just be for airing up car/atv tires and such... but I'd like to get something that's big enough for the occaisional use of an impact wrench as I'm about tired of the 4-way lug wrench.
Sears has a decent sale that runs through this Saturday on a few of their Craftsman compressors, but I'm open to any model really. Just looking to get the best bang for my buck without breaking the bank.

I've ran air tools (impact wrench, nailers, etc) from my porter cable pancake compressor. You can obviously go up in size but that PC has been rock solid with zero maintenance.

An impact wrench requires a pretty hefty compressor. I have a 135 psi combo that came with 3 nail guns. I love it but it won't run an impact wench.

I've got no plans to use it for painting. Now I might would put it to use changing golf club grips... but I know even a small compressor would do that.
My dad is a carpenter and has a couple of the porter cable pancake compressors and several nail and staple guns if I ever needed something along those lines.

An impact wrench requires a pretty hefty compressor. I have a 135 psi combo that came with 3 nail guns. I love it but it won't run an impact wench.

They require volume more then pressure. IIRC my snap on, Cornwell, and IR impacts are only rated for 90 psi.

Of course we pump as much air and pressure to them we can.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

My PC is 150 PSI and I have an ingersoll rand 1/2 in impact wrench that I've used to change tires, etc without issue.

Tank has to refill obviously given it's only a 6 gallon tank.

If I had $300 to drop on one, I would try to find a 15gal Dewalt that's portable. They run for closer to $400 unless you can find a sale.

They require volume more then pressure. IIRC my snap on, Cornwell, and IR impacts are only rated for 90 psi.

Of course we pump as much air and pressure to them we can.

My PC is 150 PSI and I have an ingersoll rand 1/2 in impact wrench that I've used to change tires, etc without issue.

Tank has to refill obviously given it's only a 6 gallon tank.

If I had $300 to drop on one, I would try to find a 15gal Dewalt that's portable. They run for closer to $400 unless you can find a sale.

Yeah it's about CFM and I guess mine is either too weak or the impact wrench I have is too demanding but it won't change much more than a lawn mower tire.

Yeah it's about CFM and I guess mine is either too weak or the impact wrench I have is too demanding but it won't change much more than a lawn mower tire.

You might try and upgrade fittings, your only going to push as much air as the smallest fitting will allow.

We tried to use 1/2 stuff on everything we could, 3/8 was the absolute minimum.

After looking at the compressors on Northern Tool, I've noticed a few compressors that I might fit the job for not too much over what I had planned to spend.

For $360

Ingersoll Rand FREE SHIPPING — Ingersoll Rand Twin-Stack Air Compressor — 2 HP, 4-Gallon Capacity, Model# P1IU-A9 | 2 - 9 CFM Air Compressors| Northern Tool + Equipment

For $400

Makita Makita Twin Stack Compressor — 2.5 HP, Model# MAC2400 | 2 - 9 CFM Air Compressors| Northern Tool + Equipment

Snap-On Snap-On Horizontal Air Compressor — 2 HP, 20-Gallon, Model# 871118 | 2 - 9 CFM Air Compressors| Northern Tool + Equipment

Dewalt DEWALT Portable Air Compressor — 1.8 HP, 4.5-Gallon Tank, 200 PSI, Model# D55146 | 2 - 9 CFM Air Compressors| Northern Tool + Equipment

And in the $450 - $500 range, there are several belt drive compressors to choose from.

If I had my shed/shop built, it would be much easier to talk myself into a bigger compressor. As it is, I may wear out 2 or 3 compressors before I ever get to that project! Ha!

Forgot to add, I don't have a Northern Tool close, but with several of the compressors offering free shipping, that shouldn't be much of a problem.​

Back