What part of your game is keeping you from reaching that next level?

that crazy thing between my ears...

My putting is okay but not great (few 3 putts anymore due to better distance control, but still rarely make outside 4ft), but my driving is holding me back. My home course is rated ~67.88/115, and I threaten par on any day I drive well. If not, I'm lucky to break 80. If I leave my driver in the bag I'll always be in the mid70s, but never threaten par.

3 or 4 weeks ago I would have said my iron play without a doubt, but since then my iron play has improved by leaps and bounds and my driver swing has left me.

I suppose it is just all around inconsistency that keeps me from the next level. I just can't seem to get to a point where I have eliminated rounds of 88+ and it's almost always a different culprit.

Health issues. The longest stretch I played was from age 62 1/2 to 64 when I broke ninety then injured my back so the layoffs thare killing me because I can go for over a year or two without hitting a ball. I love my short game, the best round I played I holed out from a greenside bunker with a lob wedge because I only had about 10 feet of green to work with. This year I am committed to a stretching and strength program
And I am very hopeful of staying injury free.

Easily my inability or lack of funds to play year round. Living in Michigan has it's perks with beautiful and challenging courses, but the weather and cost to go down south and play consistently is nearly like re-starting every year. And yes, I do hit the range as much as I can but I can't say I love the game that much to be out in the -15 degree weather like we have had lately.

I guess for me it's consistency, I re-did my golf bag last year (1st time I've done this in my 25 yrs of golfing as I was usually the hand me down guy) and I played the best golf of my career but some rounds it seemed I would have two or three bad holes and that would kill me from scoring in the 70's, here are my stats from last year via the swingbyswing app after 35 rounds (15 were never played before courses):

Scoring
Last 3
Last 10
All Time
Average per round
Par 3 average
Par 4 average
Par 5 average

Notable Stats

Eagles
Birdies
Pars
Bogeys
Dbl Bogeys
Over Dbl Bogey

Extended Stats
Last 3
Last 10
All Time
Putts per hole

After looking at those stats I really need to get better at the "Over DBL Bogey" numbers, which again boils down to consistency and course management.

Last edited:
Putting and Long Irons

It's the mental game for me. I can be cruising along, and then comes a bad shot. Then I swing harder to get back the lost yardage, and another bad shot follows, and then another. All of a sudden my game is a mess. I can't even find the swing that I was cruising with earlier.
I really need to develop amnesia for those bad shots that inevitably arise.

For me it is the tee game. I am losing 5 shots per round from the tee due to penalties or wasted shots.

Putting and chipping/pitching around the green. If I can leave my pitches and chips in a better position to 1 putt, my handicap will plummet.

Agreed! We all miss greens. Up and downs are huge!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I truly believe it's what is holding me back!

What is the shot you normally take just off the green? Pitch, chip, flop? Bump and run? How many techniques are in your araenal? These are some serious questions I plan on exploring fully

If I could consistently find the fairway off the tee and get more consistent ball striking to have more dependable and accurate yardages, I think I would improve drastically.

Over the years I've had 3 'swingpyphanies', plus 1 lesson that helped my 3 putt avoidance huge. One of the swingpyphanies was my chipping/pitching. I watched the video of Phil talking the hinge and hold, and spent 2 days practising a few hours doing it before each round. In the next 10 rounds my handicap dropped 6 strokes. I couldn't believe it. Went from a weakness to a strength almost overnight. If I"m withing 30 yards or so and am able to hit it, I fully expect to get up and down now. Before I'd just be happy to be putting.

Easily my inability or lack of funds to play year round. Living in Michigan has it's perks with beautiful and challenging courses, but the weather and cost to go down south and play consistently is nearly like re-starting every year. And yes, I do hit the range as much as I can but I can't say I love the game that much to be out in the -15 degree weather like we have had lately.

I think this I a fundamental challenge to many of us who love to play but for one reason or another find the cost of practicing and playing on a regular basis limits our participation. This might sound nuts elsewhere, but on this forum I should be okay; what we need are "Golf Halfway Houses."

Of course, this would be for getting into golf more, not recovering from it (though for some that would be appropriate).

Really, pick an area where the weather is good most of the year (I live in California near S.F.). Find a house for lease well suited for shared living, close to multiple golf locations job sites etc..(my background is recruiting and job placement ). HERE IS THE KEY, MAKE IT AFFORDABLE: AFFORDABLE HOUSING, GOLF, LIVING EXPENSES ETC....

Just curious, but is there anyone who would participate in something like this. To be real, everyone would be expected to sign at least a years lease, but what a cool set up. This would be uni-sex and being in a lease, if you fall in love your lease would cause you to think before you leap! Think California, Florida, S. Carolina etc...

Short game for me, from about 115 and in. Some days it's on, most days its not. The days it's on, it's SOOOO much fun playing golf, really makes a guy feel good.

I guess for me it's consistency, I re-did my golf bag last year (1st time I've done this in my 25 yrs of golfing as I was usually the hand me down guy) and I played the best golf of my career but some rounds it seemed I would have two or three bad holes and that would kill me from scoring in the 70's, here are my stats from last year via the swingbyswing app after 35 rounds (15 were never played before courses):

Scoring
Last 3
Last 10
All Time
Average per round
Par 3 average
Par 4 average
Par 5 average

Notable Stats

Eagles
Birdies
Pars
Bogeys
Dbl Bogeys
Over Dbl Bogey

Extended Stats
Last 3
Last 10
All Time
Putts per hole

After looking at those stats I really need to get better at the "Over DBL Bogey" numbers, which again boils down to consistency and course management.

After further review of my stats from last year I found my problem it's GIR, boy are these ugly numbers....

Average (18 holes)
Total 6.8
Par 3 27.27%
Par 4 30.08%
Par 5 46.03%

I'm really thinking hard about lessons to get better at hitting greens in regulation which usually means getting better with the longer irons and hybrids.

Distance off the tee. Way too many 2/3 hybrids into regular length (380-400) par 4's. Tough to score when you're hitting hybrid just about as far as driver.

I honestly think I could be close to a 10 handicap (currently playing to a 15.2 index) if I could just get 220-225 yards out of a tee shot consistently.

Short game for me, from about 115 and in. Some days it's on, most days its not. The days it's on, it's SOOOO much fun playing golf, really makes a guy feel good.

This distance poses real challenges for everyone including the pros. If you hit a great shot you might fly the green, a poor shot left or right and you will be in sand or rough. What if there is a false front to the green?

For me I take a club that I cannot fly the green with and that I feel comfortable hitting. I open my stance so I can hit a slight fade, even if it is only a few yards or feet of fade. Then, based on pin location i pick the big side of the green to miss into. But all of that falls apart if I fail to complete my stroke with a full follow through. I want to finish with my club vertical, in alignment with the pin and flag, hands close to shoulder high, just above parallel to the ground.

Most of my mis hits are due to too fast a tempo or swing speed, and a poor follow through.

After further review of my stats from last year I found my problem it's GIR, boy are these ugly numbers....

Average (18 holes)
Total6.8
Par 327.27%
Par 430.08%
Par 546.03%

I'm really thinking hard about lessons to get better at hitting greens in regulation which usually means getting better with the longer irons and hybrids.

Par 3 numbers don't seem bad at all to me (1 of 4, unless it's mostly short par 3s you play, isn't bad. I'd be happy with that). The par 5 number is the one I'd be working on. As a single digit cap, I'm assuming you're pretty accurate off the tee. If me, I'd be looking if I'm being too aggressive off the tee or for my 2nd shot. Or maybe it's a simple as needing to always aim centre of green?

Thanks oiler3535... You are correct I'm pretty accurate with my driver so I need to look at my approach shots and how to improve, and although I played my best golf ever last year I'm not sure what my problem was with GIR, but with new equipment it took awhile to get my distance dialed in and that could of led to my problem missing greens but now that I had full season I hope this year I can improve on some of my ugly stats and if I fail this year again then maybe I will seek lessons.

Last edited:
off the tee for me...u cant get off the tee it makes for a long hole!

For me it's getting up and down swing wise, but a lot of it is mental and over thinking everything.

consistency. I can hit the shots, just not for 18 holes in a row. I can par 4 holes and then double bogey 3 in a row.
I can pipe 3 drives right down the middle, and then I can hit 2 OB. Frustrating.

Thanks oiler3535... You are correct I'm pretty accurate with my driver so I need to look at my approach shots and how to improve, and although I played my best golf ever last year I'm not sure what my problem was with GIR, but with new equipment it took ahwile to get my distance dialed in and that could of led to my problem missing greens but now that I had full season I hope this year I can improve on some of my ugly stats and if I fail this year again then maybe I will seek lessons.

A guy I play with pretty regularly has the same GIR problem. He has a similar cap to me. He beats the snot out of me off the tee (similar length, but he's almost always safe off the tee whereas I take 4-5 penalties a round off the tee), but always comes up short right on his approach shots. Trouble on my home course is nearly always left, so I think it's got to be a psychological issue. Days when he hits a few good shots to start (no greenside trouble the first 3 holes) he threatens par; days he hits a bad one early he'll struggle short/left all day. I had the same trouble for awhile, but now unless I'm hitting a wedge, I ignore the hole and aim centre of green. It's helped my GIR a lot.

Back