North UK Chapter Gathering - polling for interest/suggestions

JoeyJoeJo

Reaction score
We seem to have a growing contingent of members in the northern half of the country so what are folks thoughts on a get together somewhere relatively local?

I know the guys do a great job of organising other UK events like the summer cup but sometimes the travel time for the more distant members makes it difficult to attend.

My initial thought would be a two round day somewhere in between, maybe in the borders or north east England...?
Plenty light late May/early June to make a day of it, somewhere well served by the motorway network...?

What are folks thoughts/suggestions for participation/venue/format....?

I didn't get home until after 10pm last night and was absolutely shattered so didn't even log on

Maybe a few PM's to a couple of people might be in order to start the ball rolling in case nobody sees this thread (wonder if we could get a UK specific section with the increase in numbers we are getting over here...?)

I am up for an event somewhere up north - Close House has 2 courses so could be an option (near Newcastle)

I'm a bit far away for a north meet but as Doc said a UK section would be a great idea!

I'd be on for this, late May, early June would be great. Not sure if people want to come that far north, but a wealth of amazing courses in Angus area...? Borders and Newcastle area would also be great.

I'd be on for this, late May, early June would be great. Not sure if people want to come that far north, but a wealth of amazing courses in Angus area...? Borders and Newcastle area would also be great.

This is probably the best area for me as it keeps the driving to somewhere around 2-2.5 hrs, especially if it is going to be a single day, but even then I might struggle with 2 rounds in the day and then heading back home

If it was an overnight stay with a round each day then I am happy to travel further, although we have the likes of Slaley Hall and Close House which are pretty handy for me (selfish I know :alien:), or even closer is Rockliffe Hall (5 mins away :D) if those north of the border are prepared to travel a little bit further into the north-east

Late May, early June may be a little problem as we have been looking at a long weekend away (Jen's birthday is early June) around that time, unless I can convince her to let me play golf and we book somewhere north of the border.....that could be pushing my luck though

Depending on the dates and location i would be interested
keep me posted

Always game for a game...unless of course soft southern jessies are excluded...:clapp:

Always game for a game...unless of course soft southern jessies are excluded...:clapp:

If you want to head up this way Stu, you are always welcome for a game with us, you should know that :D

On a side note, have you heard from Mav lately? And are you organising the defence of your title?

If you want to head up this way Stu, you are always welcome for a game with us, you should know that :D

On a side note, have you heard from Mav lately? And are you organising the defence of your title?

Eh up lad...the mighty Mav is head down, striving away awaiting baby number 2 - he had done his wrist a mischief (I know...:beauty:) so we didn't get a game as planned recently.

In terms of a cup - I have just been doing a bit of looking around. I have been going on the basis that was discussed - that running 4 a year was demanding on time and wallets and that we might look to do the "cup" less frequently but make it something special - and supplement with some local meets that were easier to attend for everyone....

All of that is a very long way of saying...

1. The cup is mine...Mine...MINE I tell you!
2. It will be defended a LONG way away from you and that 3 wood.....:bashful:

I have got a request into a venue and if I can get a decent deal from them - I'll get a thread up....

Eh up lad...the mighty Mav is head down, striving away awaiting baby number 2 - he had done his wrist a mischief (I know...:beauty:) so we didn't get a game as planned recently.

In terms of a cup - I have just been doing a bit of looking around. I have been going on the basis that was discussed - that running 4 a year was demanding on time and wallets and that we might look to do the "cup" less frequently but make it something special - and supplement with some local meets that were easier to attend for everyone....

All of that is a very long way of saying...

1. The cup is mine...Mine...MINE I tell you!
2. It will be defended a LONG way away from you and that 3 wood.....:bashful:

I have got a request into a venue and if I can get a decent deal from them - I'll get a thread up....

Thought Mav might be busy with other things on his mind, hope everyone is doing okay there so pass on our wishes if you happen to speak to him

Well as you can see from this thread, we are trying to get a northern meet arranged, so making the "cup" event a special one sounds good to me, just don't make it September when I am not here to steal it from you :alien:

And as for the 3 wood.....I am working on a driver to go with it :D

If you need a hand with anything regarding the cup event, just give me a shout and I will see what I can do

Thought Mav might be busy with other things on his mind, hope everyone is doing okay there so pass on our wishes if you happen to speak to him

Well as you can see from this thread, we are trying to get a northern meet arranged, so making the "cup" event a special one sounds good to me, just don't make it September when I am not here to steal it from you :alien:

And as for the 3 wood.....I am working on a driver to go with it :D

If you need a hand with anything regarding the cup event, just give me a shout and I will see what I can do

Right September 10th it is!!!

Nah - I'm thinking of finding something that is partner friendly for those who find that an easier sell - 2 good courses at a time where we at least have a chance of decent conditions and not silly money...not the easiest to find.

I am blessed at the moment, with days organised at Camberley Heath, St Andrews (New), Hillside, Burnham and Berrow, hopefully Royal St Gerorges - all very nice...now if it could just stop raining for a minute.....

Close House has 2 courses so could be an option (near Newcastle)

Could be a good shout, pricey but I remember reading about them when the last one opened. (I think it was them, Lee Westwood horsey named, so I'm assuming the same ones)

Any other suggestions..??

Yup that's right JJJ, Filly and Colt courses - Individual rounds are not cheap but they do overnight package deals that didn't seem too bad the last time I checked

How is Roxburghe? Been a long time since I played there but it seemed decent enough. Not sure about other places around the borders?

Count me in, date depending :D

Dalmahoy seems to have some great deals on or Cardona?

2 fore 1 could be worth a shout, assuming places would take them for a decent size group

I played with a few guys who are members at Dalmahoy and they say it's not as well maintained as it once was, they were playing local council course on a saturday instead.
Seems it's trading on the name and previous things like Solheim cup.
It came up as a venue for a work tie as well and two recent players backed that up.

Allcomers welcome btw, the more the merrier, wouldn't hold southern-ness against you :D

Never played there but been on the range as that is where I went to see a club fitter last year

I played it just after it opened and it really is a fantastic course. Lots of water, blind tee shots, sloping fairways, driveable par 4s and really challenging greens.

This was all way before the driving rand and club house was built. You had to pay your money to a guy sitting in a steel container :D

I played it just after it opened and it really is a fantastic course. Lots of water, blind tee shots, sloping fairways, driveable par 4s and really challenging greens.

This was all way before the driving rand and club house was built. You had to pay your money to a guy sitting in a steel container :D

Sounds like a local local event could be on the cards sometime....lol

I played with a few guys who are members at Dalmahoy and they say it's not as well maintained as it once was, they were playing local council course on a saturday instead.
Seems it's trading on the name and previous things like Solheim cup.
It came up as a venue for a work tie as well and two recent players backed that up.

Allcomers welcome btw, the more the merrier, wouldn't hold southern-ness against you :D

Good intel Joey!

My Dad was from Bathgate....so not entirely Southern!:wink::wink:

Back