When I did run, I much preferred tights. The legs of the pants flapping around just got way too annoying and distracting. Most warm up/work out pants are going to be big enough at the bottom to get a foot through with a shoe on, even if they have a zippered side. That's a lot of extra material being thrown around with ever stride.

Defiantly not looking for a lot of material. The pants soccer players used appear to be another option. Not tight in the upper leg, yet tapper down towards the ankle.

Just hard to convince myself to go full tights.

I've always worn shorts running. It rarely gets brutally cold here, but last winter I did do some runs in the 20s (below freezing). My legs did not bother me even though the were exposed.

I tend to focus on keeping my core, head and hands warm. If i do that, everything seems to be okay.

I'm a little aggravated that I had to scratch myself from the half this weekend. I just cannot get the last of this cold out of me. I feel fine, but if I start running my nose and throat just get congested after about a mile.

Next scheduled race is on thanksgiving. I'm hoping to have a 6-miler this weekend without and congestion issues. Legs, lungs and cardio all feel fine. I just need to be able to run without hacking every half mile or so.

that stinks Seth. Hope you get all that out of your system fast.

We have a 5k scheduled for Sunday morning. It will be our first 5k since December. We have really gotten back in to running (3 or 4 times a week) over the last month+. It's nice that when I get home and it's already dark that I can't go to the range I have something to do.

Cold morning here at -4, so just kept it short and quick with a 5k. Ended up including my fastest mile in my run this morning with a 5:10, not sure if that's considered quick or not as normally everything here is measured in km.

Cold morning here at -4, so just kept it short and quick with a 5k. Ended up including my fastest mile in my run this morning with a 5:10, not sure if that's considered quick or not as normally everything here is measured in km.

That's pretty quick, good work!

Just found this thread, been running for nearly 2 years now. Previously a full time smoker and hadn't done any exercise in years I completed a couch-5k plan and never looked back. Ran a half marathon last year in 2hrs dead and usually run between 2-5 times a week depending on weather and work/golf.

At the moment I'm usually doing a 10k-ish run and then one or two shorter ones. Love it, never thought I'd be into it but I can't be without it.

Anybody here on Strava? - http://www.strava.com/athletes/266685

I went for an hour run today and felt awesome. The weather is chilly, but that is irrelevent with the right clothing. I felt so good I turned my thoughts into something I am going to live by in the future. I don't know why it took me this long to realize this, but I never could stick with running because I would always pre-determine how far and fast I would run before I started, and would be upset if it didn't go okay. Now I have no worries :thumb:

61FACD1D-044C-40E4-88DA-87CE182B93C0_zpsdwr1vesz.jpg

Getting some new shoes tomorrow cant wait.

That's an awesome thought Jesse.

I'm hoping to get back into running again soon. I haven't been able to in almost 3 weeks now due to a foot injury. I'm sure the first couple of runs will be "fun".

I have been using some older cheap shoes and just focusing more on running on the balls of my feet. It takes the calf muscles some time to adjust but it feels so much better overall. Also I don't feel the need to buy expensive running shoes and replace them as much

Probably gonna head out for a quick 2 miler after work today to complement my upper body workout (pushups, pullups, situps, and dips).

Good to see this thread back up. I managed just over 100km in January, the most I've done in a month I think.

I really need new trainers though, I've put over 1200km on the ones I'm using now and theres not a great deal of support left.

I have been using some older cheap shoes and just focusing more on running on the balls of my feet. It takes the calf muscles some time to adjust but it feels so much better overall. Also I don't feel the need to buy expensive running shoes and replace them as much

I was trying this too but have not done very well with it. Barefoot I do it perfectly but put shoes on I am a heel striker.

I was trying this too but have not done very well with it. Barefoot I do it perfectly but put shoes on I am a heel striker.

I have yet to try barefoot. I may eventually but using a an older pair with not much support I have been able to work on technique. Its not automatic yet, I have to keep reminding myself.

I'm running a half marathon tomorrow morning. The guys I normally run with are running in the Rock-n-Roll New Orleans Half Marathon, but I couldn't make the trip. There's another half marathon here in town in March, but I'm going to go ahead and run that route tomorrow morning while the other guys are running New Orleans. I hope to finish in about 1:45 - 1:50.

I'm running a half marathon tomorrow morning. The guys I normally run with are running in the Rock-n-Roll New Orleans Half Marathon, but I couldn't make the trip. There's another half marathon here in town in March, but I'm going to go ahead and run that route tomorrow morning while the other guys are running New Orleans. I hope to finish in about 1:45 - 1:50.
Go out and enjoy it. Don't get hung up on the time, get hung up on the experience :thumb:

I went for an hour run today and felt awesome. The weather is chilly, but that is irrelevent with the right clothing. I felt so good I turned my thoughts into something I am going to live by in the future. I don't know why it took me this long to realize this, but I never could stick with running because I would always pre-determine how far and fast I would run before I started, and would be upset if it didn't go okay. Now I have no worries :thumb:

61FACD1D-044C-40E4-88DA-87CE182B93C0_zpsdwr1vesz.jpg

Great post! I really love to run as a way to "unplug" from daily grind. I'm just worried that I might not be able to anymore - I've been getting bad knee pain going up/down steps. Haven't run since weather turned bad, so maybe this willget better...?

Great post! I really love to run as a way to "unplug" from daily grind. I'm just worried that I might not be able to anymore - I've been getting bad knee pain going up/down steps. Haven't run since weather turned bad, so maybe this willget better...?

The killer about running, knee/shins etc... Ice and rest is about all one can do, other than treadmill (slightly less harsh) or pool (to maintain cardio). Surprising some of my more enjoyable runs have been in minus temps. If you have the correct layer/layers on, it sets up the perfect run in my opinion.

Learning to use running to unplug is what has me excited to run more, it's crazy!

Hope the body holds up for you and you can enjoy gettin back into it. Keep us posted how it goes.

The killer about running, knee/shins etc... Ice and rest is about all one can do, other than treadmill (slightly less harsh) or pool (to maintain cardio). Surprising some of my more enjoyable runs have been in minus temps. If you have the correct layer/layers on, it sets up the perfect run in my opinion.

Learning to use running to unplug is what has me excited to run more, it's crazy!

Hope the body holds up for you and you can enjoy gettin back into it. Keep us posted how it goes.

I'm gonna start back just walking - bought one of those ...balaklavas (sp?) ... the hat with the mask built in. I want to be able to go in any weather - no excuses!

Luckily - I have a paved bike/runnig trail that goes through my back yard! I'm thinking I'll be doing early morning walks/runs - maybe use a headlamp.

Figured I may as well post my workouts as I finish them here as well. I am in love with running in single digit temps right now. Times are a bit slow because I am getting back into the routine and snow and ice everywhere makes its a bit more difficult. Somehow I haven't slipped yet!

If you haven't read it yet, check out "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. A very interesting read aboutminimalist/barefoot running, among other things!

If you haven't read it yet, check out "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. A very interesting read aboutminimalist/barefoot running, among other things!

Will do! Thanks for the recommendation.

I need to read this too, thanks for the reminder!

Today was my first attempt at running in forever. Actually it was walking - on a treadmill: 3.6 - 4.2 mph pace with a 10-15 % incline (only one mile in 16:25). Granted, I'm just getting over a bad cold, but this was tough! I am sooo out of shape!

Then I got off & checked for any references on what incline best represents outside running, & most of those say "never go beyond 5-7% - too high a risk of injury to calves & achilles tendons ("Doh!"). So I guess I won't do this again, or at least only for a minute or so to simulate hill climbing.

It's funny that most of the conversations regarding treadmill vs outdoor running discuss air/wind resistance (th best studies I found showed that unless you're running against a strong headind or yo can run at a 2:21 marothon pace or faster, air resistance is negligible.

I always thought that the real difference is that outside, you have to push down & backward against theground to move yourself up and forward. On the treadmill, you could just push yourself up (since you're staying in one place). But now that I'm thinking aboout it, I dn't alter my technique on the treadmill - I still push back on the tread t pus myself forward.

I think the main reasonrunning outside requires more effort is the surface is harder & more uneven, and what I call a flat run in reality has a lot of up-and-down to it.

Whenever I treadmill run (been staying away from the lately), I always through the incline at 1%. I'm still alittle faster then outside but it seems to accommodate for some of the difference

Back