Taylormade Performance Labs - Part 1

Went and had the fitting and swing analysis this morning. Wow what a cool experience.

Started off warming up with the instructor just watching. First thing he did was have me make some tweaks to the grip. He said it would help with consistency. It was a little uncomfortable at first but I went with it and wanted to keep an open mind about everything. Going to give that a long term test and see how sticking with that goes.

After warming up I put the motion capture gear on and hit some swings. The 3d analysis showed that my left knee was getting a few degrees low, so I straightened that out. He also gave me a pivot drill to rotate a little more and slide my weight forward a touch left. Had me focus on coil and uncoil. After that we were able to compare the 2 swings side by side and look at the numbers.

Driver speed was just over 100, 6 iron was about 85. My swing path was typically between 2º out to in and 2º in to out with a club face closed about 4º. My miss is left, and that is cause from the combo of out to in and closed. When the swing was more in to out with a more positive angle of attack I hit my best shots.

He got out the alignment rods and had me focus on the path, it is something I am going to have to work but when I was able to match I really liked the ball flight.

The computer recommended the SLDR TP at 10.5º, and then the new CBs with the ATV wedges. He said the heavier shafts were better for my tempo. We took a few clubs out on the range. I was getting a little tired as I am out of shape for the winter, but even hitting a few thin I loved the ball flight on the CBs. Even with some miss hits the ball flew great. In 28º weather on the range I was about 5-10 yards longer than my usual with my current clubs, he said I should see a little more distance when it warms up.

I didn't try out the SLDR though, I had him take a look at the R1 for me. After buying a TP shaft last fall I "self fitted" a change from 9.5º 10.5º. He had me try a few different settings and put it all the way down to 8º. I wouldn't have guessed that going in.

Ball match was the RBZ U, which is great because I just bought a bunch at $8 on closeout.

The fitting cost me $60 on a black friday deal, when I order my clubs through them it comes with a $40 dollar discount, so I just got a total steal. I know it is more expensive other places around the country, but I absolutely recommend it if you get a chance.

$60 is an absolute steal! I checked into two different TMPL and full bag fittings were $300 and $400 at the other.

Wow -- I need to be on the lookout for a sale like that. $60 for a full bag (at least irons and a driver) is amazing.

Thanks for the writeup GolfFest.

Yeah their standard rate is $200, but they have an online winter deal for $75, and then the deal site had a black friday 20% discount. I really have no idea why this particular location is cheaper than the others, but I won't complain.

We never made it to the putter fitting, but that is because I had him spend extra time on me with the driver. My fitting numbers were pretty much standard for the CBs. Standard length, lofts and lie angles, only difference was a + 1/64 and the grip thickness. The most valuable part I thought was the swing analysis. Being able to see your swing from every angle, make adjustments and compare them side by side was pretty cool.

I wish I had more time to hit different clubs side by side and compare numbers, but it was almost 2 1/2 long. My hands are sore and I am tired.

$60 is an absolute steal! I checked into two different TMPL and full bag fittings were $300 and $400 at the other.

Yep the one that I emailed in my area was $300…jumping all over $60 if it was ever offered. Fitting or more golf stuff…that is the question?

Some other thoughts now that I have had a chance to think about the experience some more:

I'm not sure if this makes much of a difference, but with the 3d analysis part you don't use your own clubs, rather their clubs that have all the motion tracking sensors on them. If you are used to clubs with significantly different shafts, length, weights, lie angles etc... the numbers the computer picks up might be a little different. It does however pick up pretty much every single detail of the swing and impact so for example if you need a different lie angle than the sensor club it will show that.

The club recommendation was based off the 3d analysis. They had a launch monitor and a large collection of shaft and head combos to test out, so that is an option but I didn't get a chance to try them out. It certainly would have been interesting to compare numbers of different combos out side by side. What we did was take the clubs the system recommended out to the range and just hit those. The package was a combo analysis and fitting and took more than 2 hours, I think if there are different combinations you want to try you need to bring that up.

I'm a little on the fence about the CB iron recommendation. I hit the ball really well on the MATT system, but after that and then spending time fine tuning the driver before getting to the irons I was a little tired when I hit them. They felt very forgiving on some miss hits but I can't help wonder if I could use the extra forgiveness of the Speedblades. Some of it could be just hitting so many shots in a row after not hitting much during the winter. I took a break for a few minutes and started hitting them really well again. I do better with heavier shafts, which the CB have, I am wishing now I would have tried that same shaft in the Speedblades. I'm sure if I went back they would let me test the 2 side by side on the range. Maybe I am just over thinking it, as I tend to do.

Just booked a fitting at the Performance Lab located at TPC Sawgrass for next week. Want to get up to date spec's so I can get the TP MC's dialed in.

Meant to ask you if you went through the TP concierge to book this or just called the place at TPC?

Meant to ask you if you went through the TP concierge to book this or just called the place at TPC?

I went through the TPC website and emailed the contact there back and forth to agree on a date.

There is a website for the Performance labs but TPC location isn't listed on there for some reason.

Back