is new equipment always the best equipment??

I have found that new clubs always perform better.....until I actually own them.

It's all in your head. If you're talking about clubs that are relatively in the same era, then no. When you're comparing wooden drivers against the TaylorMade's annual driver, then the argument can be made.

Just as an example, if you're comparing anything made in the last decade (2004-2014) then I would say no, new equipment isn't necessarily the best equipment. It may be better technology, but that doesn't make the clubs "better". If you're playing 6 or 7 year old irons and you hit the ball pure and and on a consistent basis, there's no need to "upgrade". If you're looking for change or improvement, then you might not necessarily get it just by getting newer irons. A swing adjustment may lower your handicap more effectively than a switch to newer clubs. It's all circumstantial of course.

My set is relatively new because I've only been playing for a year. I don't plan on changing any clubs I own for a while. I made the investment, and I'm hoping it lasts me a good 6 to 7 years if not more.

Think of Tiger using his 2004 equipment against current Tiger with his 2014 equipment. His game has changed, but you wouldn't look at one and depict he's at a clear disadvantage due to the 10 year older golfing equipment.

The golfer makes the equipment look good, not the other way around... Hope this helped!

In most cases I think the technology behind the new gear is better but that doesn't mean it's better for everyone. I still hit my older clubs better and with more predictability than my new stuff, I just don't hit it as far.

Exactly. There is a reason that some pro's are so complacent with their older gear. There is something to be said for that confidence. BUT as far as technology goes, even 3 years is almost outdated.

And yet Frank is trying to sell his putter line...
I know Frank, spent quite a bit of time with him this year, but sometimes just because an old timer that was marginally involved years ago in the equipment world says things have not changed, does not make it so. Are the changes drastic? Not always, but they can be.

And yet Frank is trying to sell his putter line...
I know Frank, spent quite a bit of time with him this year, but sometimes just because an old timer that was marginally involved years ago in the equipment world says things have not changed, does not make it so. Are the changes drastic? Not always, but they can be.

Totally totally true. And sometimes they are drastic. Like the Callaway BB Alpha. True innovation. Compare that to the Razr x Hawk line from a few years back. Night and day. Now does that mean that SOME people wont hit the Apha as well? Sure. BUT for the majority of us, new, revolutionary technology can make the game easier and more fun.

Back