Sorry, not trying to be. All I'm saying is I don't get it. :confused2:

that's understandable. the two sports are very, very similar. that's one of the reasons disc golf is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. The more people play and take it seriously, the more popular it gets. IMO it is missing a key factor - the drama of the putting green - that prevents it from becoming a highly televised sport. Yes, there is putting but you'll never get one of those 45 foot triple-break putts for eagle that seems to take forever to get to the cup and sends the crowd into an uproar when it falls. Without the television audience the sponsor money isn't nearly as big... and that keeps the sport down as a whole. That said, I have competed for a very long time (hundreds of tournaments, even in one Major a few years ago) and I can say that the exact same mindset, preparation, and intensity goes into competition. There are lots of people making a living at disc golf, too. They aren't living in mansions and getting new bulletproof trucks from Oakley (although Oakley does sponsor some) but that all goes back to the sponsor money. Oh and speaking of bulletproof trucks... Bubba Watson is a disc golfer, too. he's just not as good at it as he is at golf ;)

Disc golf is only about 40 years old. The technology in the sport has increased at an incredible rate over the past 15 years or so, perhaps even faster than golf. Participation is growing faster than just about any other sport. It's an individual sport where one shot can make or break your victory. It's very, very similar to golf in so many ways. I don't know what's not to get. Go to a big tournament and see for yourself. It's a different crowd, but I guarantee they're having just as much fun.

I played a few times in college. Some of the guys I knew where pretty serious about it. They had tons of different disc's like they mentioned in the video. It was sort of fun, but not enough that I would do that instead of play actual golf. If it was nice enough to play disc golf, it was nice enough to play actual golf. At least that's how I always looked at it.
We have a disc golf park set up in the town I live in but I have never seen anyone using it.

that's understandable. the two sports are very, very similar. that's one of the reasons disc golf is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. The more people play and take it seriously, the more popular it gets. IMO it is missing a key factor - the drama of the putting green - that prevents it from becoming a highly televised sport. Yes, there is putting but you'll never get one of those 45 foot triple-break putts for eagle that seems to take forever to get to the cup and sends the crowd into an uproar when it falls. Without the television audience the sponsor money isn't nearly as big... and that keeps the sport down as a whole. That said, I have competed for a very long time (hundreds of tournaments, even in one Major a few years ago) and I can say that the exact same mindset, preparation, and intensity goes into competition. There are lots of people making a living at disc golf, too. They aren't living in mansions and getting new bulletproof trucks from Oakley (although Oakley does sponsor some) but that all goes back to the sponsor money. Oh and speaking of bulletproof trucks... Bubba Watson is a disc golfer, too. he's just not as good at it as he is at golf ;)

Disc golf is only about 40 years old. The technology in the sport has increased at an incredible rate over the past 15 years or so, perhaps even faster than golf. Participation is growing faster than just about any other sport. It's an individual sport where one shot can make or break your victory. It's very, very similar to golf in so many ways. I don't know what's not to get. Go to a big tournament and see for yourself. It's a different crowd, but I guarantee they're having just as much fun.

Fair enough...no doubt it's bigger than I thought. Your passion for the sport is evident. (And admirable, as is passion in any other legitimate sport.) Even though you make a good case, I just don't see where it fits my definition of golf. Of course, your mileage obviously varies.

You didn't say, but if you do still compete, then I wish you the best. If your otherwise involved in the growth of disc golf, then good luck with that as well. Regardless of what you call it, it's a far better exercise than trying to break through to the next level of Candy Crush.

:peace:

get to dallas and come play sometime. I'll buy the round ;)

get to dallas and come play sometime. I'll buy the round ;)

Wish I could...a million straight days of white global warming covering the ground has got me itching to get out and do anything right now. (Actually does sound like fun.) And I know you guys have had some weather, too, but at this point, 40+ degrees sounds down right blistering to me.

Wish I could...a million straight days of white global warming covering the ground has got me itching to get out and do anything right now. (Actually does sound like fun.) And I know you guys have had some weather, too, but at this point, 40+ degrees sounds down right blistering to me.

heh yeah there's some white on the ground here but it'll be gone tomorrow. we'll be in the 50s all weekend then back to the 30s with some ice/snow next week... then 60s. lol. One good thing about disc golf though, we can play in just about anything but lightning. If you ever make it to town, regardless of the weather, I'll be happy to show you some of the best courses we have to offer. golf *and* disc golf.

I haven't played disc golf since high school. We should change that one day Josh.

I haven't played disc golf since high school. We should change that one day Josh.

any time you want, man. Matthew also said he'd be interested in trying it. I don't have nearly the level of extra gear I used to when I was running tournaments, but I think I have enough bags and discs to outfit 3 or 4 other people for a round. Maybe I could beat you guys at something for a change ;)

any time you want, man. Matthew also said he'd be interested in trying it. I don't have nearly the level of extra gear I used to when I was running tournaments, but I think I have enough bags and discs to outfit 3 or 4 other people for a round. Maybe I could beat you guys at something for a change ;)

I'm sure you could.

I only need one disc though, right? ;)

Heck yeah dude. I played a little Ultimate but never tried disc golf. I'd love to try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Playing my first round in a few years this weekend, then another Monday!! Stoked to get back into it, had a bunch of fun with it in college.

I play disc golf every once in a while. My wife plays too. But we only have one disc each. I've seen folks playing with backpacks filled with discs.

Wouldn't it be cool if the big golf companies made golf discs too?

I play disc golf every once in a while. My wife plays too. But we only have one disc each. I've seen folks playing with backpacks filled with discs.

Wouldn't it be cool if the big golf companies made golf discs too?

the technology is so different that it wouldn't be very easy for them to just start making the stuff. they'd also have some pretty stiff competition from the already established big disc golf companies. Innova and Discraft both post multi-million dollar revenues each year and there are other manufacturers making names for themselves. Also, Nike, Oakley and a few other companies involved with golf also have involvement with disc golf through branding, apparel, professional/event sponsorship, etc. One of the biggest is Budweiser. Even Michael Jordan has his own Jumpman stamped disc (from Gateway discs, iirc).

btw, I'm one of those who has a backpack full of discs... though it's not a normal backpack. it's a disc golf bag that is carried on my back. holds about 20 discs in the main structured compartment and a couple of putters in the putter pockets. and two 32oz nalgene bottles, and an apparel compartment... it was more expensive than my Sun Mountain C-130 :D

LOL! Amazing....

Re: the big golf companies making discs: Just branding them would be cool.

Is there any limit to the number of discs you can carry in disc golf? Say, in disc golf competition (if there is such a thing).

...I'm one of those who has a backpack full of discs... though it's not a normal backpack. it's a disc golf bag that is carried on my back. holds about 20 discs in the main structured compartment and a couple of putters in the putter pockets. and two 32oz nalgene bottles, and an apparel compartment... it was more expensive than my Sun Mountain C-130 :D

LOL! Amazing....

Re: the big golf companies making discs: Just branding them would be cool.

Is there any limit to the number of discs you can carry in disc golf? Say, in disc golf competition (if there is such a thing).

no, there is no limit. it works a lot differently from golf though since it's quite a bit more three-dimensional. For example, trees are common obstacles that must be negotiated left or right. You might want to pass to the left of one group of trees, then to the right of another, meaning that you need to throw an "S shot". You might throw a roller, or overhand, or sidearm. Skip shots, stall shots, floaters, spike hyzers and anhyzers. All very different shots that work differently depending on the disc in use. many disc golfers carry several of the same mold that are "beat in" differently. the more worn a disc becomes, the less aerodynamically stable it is. That will change the flight pattern significantly.

Well I played a pretty easy course in town on Saturday and did OK, basically played bogey golf. Then I played a much tougher course last night near my work and boy was it a wake up call hahaha. I was playing with 2 guys from work, one was a little better than me, but the other guy was throwing it twice as far as me and finished about +9 on 18, and I was probably +30 ish (OUCH). The course was nuts, blackberry bush filled ravines everywhere. We didn't lose any discs, but definitely had to do some serious bushwhacking and enduring lots of thorn stabs to keep that stat intact haha. The 50 oz of Rolling Rock kept me going hehe :alien:

I have realized I need to spend more time practicing before I head back there - need to develop more consistency and definitely some more distance.

You using Innova discs out there I'm guessing? You ever see any QuestAT discs out your way?

You using Innova discs out there I'm guessing? You ever see any QuestAT discs out your way?

Yeah, all of mine are Innova and to be honest I don't think I've ever seen anything else in person. I know about some of the other brands (Discraft, Latitude 64, etc.), but it's so much easier to find Innova.

Yeah they're def the biggest, and being in CA I'm sure makes them much easier to find than the rest out there. My dad owns QuestAT, and makes/made discs for other companies too. He sold some of it off last year, but still makes some models.

i have a few questAT discs in a box somewhere. they made some really interesting molds. pushing design limits that the bigger manufacturers never did... or at least never brought to market.

i need to play more disc golf. It feels good to shoot under par, even if it's a different sport :)

Yeah, all of mine are Innova and to be honest I don't think I've ever seen anything else in person. I know about some of the other brands (Discraft, Latitude 64, etc.), but it's so much easier to find Innova.

We need to go play cornwall buddy. I enjoy hucking some disc now and then.

We need to go play cornwall buddy. I enjoy hucking some disc now and then.

We do for sure. Might go tomorrow afternoon if you're free.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Back