Big Bertha Alpha Driver Review

It seems like a lot of the Grandaddy guys went with the Alpha. Who ended up going with the regular Bertha? Sorry if this is a skim!

Couple of guys did. Hawk, Taylor and Tyler went with the BB.

Honestly though I wound be upset to game the BB either. A really great club in its own right. For me the Alpha just fit my eye a little better.

It seems like a lot of the Grandaddy guys went with the Alpha. Who ended up going with the regular Bertha? Sorry if this is a skim!

I was wondering the same thing about the X2Hot driver? Did anyone go with that?

y8yty4et.jpg

a2u4ury8.jpg

I'm gonna start by raving about the sound of the BBA. The pitch is a lower than the BB and is sooo nice. I wouldn't call it muted but definitely lower in pitch. I didn't get a chance to change the setting but I was simply excited to hit a few balls with it. I like the feel of the stock shift however it is a little to long. The deep face looks very compact from address, which is noticeably different from the BB. I jumped on the trackman between fittings for a quick comparison between the BBA and my AmpCell. In the stock setup the BBA didn't launch as high (this was expected) but ball speed was 4 mph faster. I'm excited to go through some fittings even more now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

AMart, did you have the opportunity to crank up the loft to 11?

Haha 11. I am working on hitting up on it more. Alpha is the first driver to ever give me launch over 10 and spin under 3k. Played my Amp cell at 11.5 and was 8.5 launch, 3200 spin

Shawn Clement has a video for hitting up on the ball by putting the ball off the left foot while setting with the driver head mid stance. Maybe that would help.

I was wondering the same thing about the X2Hot driver? Did anyone go with that?

No one ended up with a X2Hot driver. Not that they were terrible clubs, but c'mon, its BIG BERTHA!! Haha

No one ended up with a X2Hot driver. Not that they were terrible clubs, but c'mon, its BIG BERTHA!! Haha

Yeah, I agree. Haha

I went with the BB as did Tyler and Ryan. The other freaks of nature went with the Alpha.

Honestly both are solid, but I am firm in my belief that most will fit into the standard BB a bit better

Awesome guys. I can't wait to hit these bad boys.

AMart, did you have the opportunity to crank up the loft to 11?

No sadly. I will be scheduling some fitting time in the up coming months. I'm sure that will be the first change I make too. My ball speed was higher but distance was the same as the amp cell due to the launch I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Is there a chart for the Alpha that shows loft, face angle, and lie for each setting? I'm not up to speed on the adjustments for Callaway's adapters, and don't see that info on the website.

Is there a chart for the Alpha that shows loft, face angle, and lie for each setting? I'm not up to speed on the adjustments for Callaway's adapters, and don't see that info on the website.

Same as the optiforce!

tuhy5edy.jpg

Thank you sir! I'm assuming that the face angle changes when loft is adjusted?

They are independent in this sort of configuration. While adding/decreasing loft will change face angle, there are settings to offset how closed or open the face looks.

Thank you sir! I'm assuming that the face angle changes when loft is adjusted?

It does. The face closes some as you increase loft. At 11 degrees for me it was noticeable but something I can live with.

I was at my local course today and they got the Big Berthas in the shop that morning.

It is gorgeous....!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds good, thanks guys. Just getting all the info straight for when I demo this bad boy!

So playing this club at 11 degrees closes the face when the club is soled. Unlike my amp cell, which had the smart pad to make sure the club sat square no matter what loft you had chosen.

My question is, should I grip the club when it is soled and the face is closed, or should I rotate the grip to square the face and then grip the club?

So playing this club at 11 degrees closes the face when the club is soled. Unlike my amp cell, which had the smart pad to make sure the club sat square no matter what loft you had chosen.

My question is, should I grip the club when it is soled and the face is closed, or should I rotate the grip to square the face and then grip the club?

That's a good question, and I'll be trying different things myself. I think I'll grip in a way that squares the clubhead instead of soling first and gripping. We'll see what that does to direction and launch.

That's a good question, and I'll be trying different things myself. I think I'll grip in a way that squares the clubhead instead of soling first and gripping. We'll see what that does to direction and launch.

That's what I was leaning towards as well

Picked up an adapter to put in my Diamona D+Whiteboard stiff. It is the shaft I hit the best in my Titleist 913.
From what I can tell local stores will only have the stock shaft available. So if I don't like the stock shaft
I'll put the adapter in the Diamona.

Hit this at Golfsmith today, holy crap! Was hitting over 300 easy. About 2500 backspin, 12*-13* launch, and about 100 club head speed, can't remember ball speed. When you hit this thing good, oh man does it bomb. And with little effort.

Picked up an adapter to put in my Diamona D+Whiteboard stiff. It is the shaft I hit the best in my Titleist 913.
From what I can tell local stores will only have the stock shaft available. So if I don't like the stock shaft
I'll put the adapter in the Diamona.
I have the d+ 72 stiff in mine and absolutely love it

Back