"you need a clear head to golf"

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
No matter why it is said it is valid. You certainly need to concentrate when playing. But I'm not just talking about an instructor or advice given in telling you to better concentrate.
I'm saying, Whether it is worries and concerns about personal things going on. Respnsibilities weighing in on you that must be tended to. Perhaps you know you really shouldnt be out there right now and are neglecting something. Even if it is perfectly fine that your out there right now but still know responsibilities and matters that require your attention need to get done later. Perhaps its a spouse or family member not happy your out there right now. Any reason of siginifigance at all that may weigh in on you.

Whatever the stresses and concerns are does it affect your play? Its not often but I know there are "some times" when something is stressing me and/or worrying me that day. There can be some times when it is just not fun being out there for any number of reasons that weigh in. And on the ocassion that happens it is almost impossible for me to have a better round. and some of those times simply horrible right from the very first tee. Ends up being you just shouldnt have went golfing that day.

Not that it was wrong that you went but just realizing you were better off not going with the concerns or stresses on your mind. And if it just so happens that it was an instance that you were actually not supose to be there? Its even worse.

I think that's a fair assessment. Some of my worst rounds have been when I have worries in the back of my mind.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Nah. I'm pretty used to compartmentalizing things. Golf is a time to get away from all that stuff.

I don't buy it.

If I let the last year or so off the course affect my scoring, my handicap would really be 19.2. Golf is a means of getting away for me. I don't let the other stuff get to me while I'm out there.

To add to this point, a big part of the reason why I no longer get aggravated about a bad round is because I know it is still a 4ish hour escape from the stresses of my day.

I will admit it can affect my game at times. But it's usually my wife calling me in the middle of my round asking when I will be home because the kids are acting up. I then rush to get home to help.

I have since banned any phone calls on the course unless someone is going to the hospital. I play a lot better now.

I don't buy it.

If I let the last year or so off the course affect my scoring, my handicap would really be 19.2. Golf is a means of getting away for me. I don't let the other stuff get to me while I'm out there.

To add to this point, a big part of the reason why I no longer get aggravated about a bad round is because I know it is still a 4ish hour escape from the stresses of my day.

I too far more often than not look at golf in part as ameans of leaving stuff behind or escape from the grind. Work, home obligations, kids obligations, you name it, its my only spare time I squeeze in. But lets face it, there can still be things that weigh in (at least for me) as there is always something going on. And every once in a while whatever it is some times cannot esily be left behind.

I would much rather play "happy golf". Blocking things out is possible, but I much prefer to use my golf as the therapy for what is bothering me. As a result, most of the time if a round started with something in the back of my mind usually, by the time the round is finished, I feel a little better and can focus on whatever the issue was more clearly.

JM

"clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose" I definitely think this applies to golf as well. When my mind is clear and I'm not really thinking about anything off the course or the last shot, just what's my yardage, what's my club, what's the line, my game is that much better!

I don't buy it.

I agree with that absolutely. Quite simply there isn't much in my life I can't put aside for a few hours so I can play golf. If there is anything that bothers me enough I can't get it off my mind I should likely be taking care of that rather than golfing.

A lot of people would be a lot better off if they asked themselves if worrying about something was helping the problem. Mostly is isn't helping at all.

Last but not least, it takes several minutes for your brain to switch tasks and focus on a new task. To that end any distraction like a cell phone, or a GPS that isn't working right or any other distraction needs to be set aside and left alone until after the round. Loss of focus creates as many problems for amateurs as anything else, but they have problems recognizing when it happens. If you keep notes or something to help recognize what those things are you can learn how to stop them or not let them bother and distract you. I am going to put in a plug here for the book Zen Golf. It is full of techniques to help with focus.

I agree with that absolutely. Quite simply there isn't much in my life I can't put aside for a few hours so I can play golf. If there is anything that bothers me enough I can't get it off my mind I should likely be taking care of that rather than golfing.

A lot of people would be a lot better off if they asked themselves if worrying about something was helping the problem. Mostly is isn't helping at all.

Last but not least, it takes several minutes for your brain to switch tasks and focus on a new task. To that end any distraction like a cell phone, or a GPS that isn't working right or any other distraction needs to be set aside and left alone until after the round. Loss of focus creates as many problems for amateurs as anything else, but they have problems recognizing when it happens. If you keep notes or something to help recognize what those things are you can learn how to stop them or not let them bother and distract you. I am going to put in a plug here for the book Zen Golf. It is full of techniques to help with focus.

The bold part above is very true. Ever lose (while playing) your phone, pair of sun or prescription glasses, a glove, or forget a club somewhere, or just about anything and if its important enough its very hard to concentrate because your worried and thinking about it. "oh crap, where is my _____ ??. It can be a big distraction.

I definitely use golf to get away. I even try to stay out of a bad mood when there is slow play or I am stinking it up. As far as calls I video chat my 3 year daughter before she goes to bed (im a twilight golfer) My wife doesn't bother otherwise.

It seems that most agree that one is not going to play their best golf with their heads full of professional or personal issues, or even multiple swing thoughts for that matter. Perhaps, it is reasonable to suggest that golf is an empty headed game. Given that I have been told on many an occasion that I am empty headed, I'm really not sure why I don't play better.

Nah. I'm pretty used to compartmentalizing things. Golf is a time to get away from all that stuff.

Golf is a release for me, if I am not playing in a tournament. Usually I can go out and just be glad I'm out playing golf and have been giving the ability and means to do so, others aren't so fortunate. When it comes to competitive rounds I am usually pretty good at staying focused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well put Rollin, I could not have said it better

One of my many goals this year is to regain the simple joy I used to find in golf. Dumping any and all expectations and just enjoying the thrill of a well struck shot. Whether I hit one in a round, or thirty six.

I remember how excited I was the first time I played under bogey golf. I didn't care or know anything about launch angles, spin rates, perimeter weighting, ect. I played with an old set of MacGregor CF4000 irons and whippy fiberglass shafted woods (real wood no less) and whatever ball I found in the woods. I think I was just as proud of that first sub bogey round as I was the one and only time I played under par on the same course with an expensive set of Wilson Staffs and one of the first TaylorMade metal woods ever made. This is probably going to be considered heresy in the THP forum, but I sometimes wonder if all of the money spent on equipment doesn't in some way saddle us with the pressure of expectations. Whereas, when I played with old used rusty clubs, I had no expectations. It was all about hitting the ball. The fact that the face of the club was the size of a butter knife never entered my mind, it was what it was and it was part of the game to figure out how to put that butter knife on the ball. And when I did it correctly, I became one with the universe.

Anyway, that is one of my goals for 2014, and while "clearing the head" is a good term, in my case, regaining the joy is more appropriate I think.

Last edited:
When you find something really good you have one job and one job only NEVER EVER AD TO IT OR TAKE AWAY your Job is to stay there forever using that Good and that takes serious mental toughness to do Believing as I have said is the hardest thing you will ever do. There is no pre Impact nor a Post impact anything there is just IT WORKS every time. Can you do that forever is the hard question and when do you know your there is another question only you have the answer too not your teacher they should get you there you have to maintain and stay there for as long as you can mentally stand it... Its only broke if you think it is nobody else..

I've definitely played my best golf when I've had no worries or stress on my mind and the opposite is true also. Take the weekend just gone, it was beautiful weather for the first time all year and I was able to get out on to a course that wasn't too muddy at all. Unexpected round of golf, great weather and nobody in front or behind me. I shot a pb.

Then take the last round out before that. Cold, wet, damp and boggy fairways. Having to wait for multiple fourballs in front on a course I'd never played, stressing whether I'd make it round before dark and what was up with my swing = worst score in months.

I find GOLF to be a way to release what I might be dealing with off the course, a way to find a relaxing moment within the week or before starting a stressful week. Golf is a pleasure , enjoyment and time to gain control of my thoughts or forget about them and have fun. I'm not good enough at the game to earn a living from it, I can enjoy watching it on TV or I can take part in a round with friends, play a scramble for charity and no that I have made a contribution to help someone.

I realized just how true this was in the last year. I was finishing up school, working full time, and taking an afternoon after work and one weekend morning to get 9 holes in as an escape. The busier I got, the worse I played, and the more miserable I was on the course. Once I finished school, didn't have 1000 things in the back of my mind and could just focus on having fun out there, my scores dropped almost immediately, and I didn't care nearly as much when shots didn't turn out exactly how I wanted them to.

I agree, I need a clear head in order to play a good golf. Happy mind equals happy golf.

One time I played good and happy golf all morning until telephone calls .... one from my dad, one from my business partner, three from my secretary ..... all calls are business related requesting my presence in office. The remaining 4 holes is the saddest in my life .....

Yep. I have been able to play during the week because of technology. However that same tech, iPhone and Apple Watch, means that work invades the game and never in a positive way. But I am lucky to have the opportunity to play a few holes several days per week. It's worth the tradeoff for me, and hopefully I am honing my ability to focus regardless of externalities.

I'm prone to overthinking, distraction and doubts, but other than that, I'd like to have fun on the course, at the peril of bets.

Golf is my passion, but not my career(father) or profession (architect, contractor). If my drive or putting goes AWOL tomorrow it is no cause for worry. I just work at it. That's part of the fun. Same if my handicap goes up or down.

I golf to clear my head, if I started with it clear, I am not sure what I would do for 3+ hours.

Just come back from playing golf .... stressfull and disaster .... unhappy.

I think I should never play golf when lots of going on the mind .

Back