"Paralysis by Analysis" Do you overthink?

I think the part about playing low percentage shots is really a whole subject on its own imo and doesnt have to have anything to do with overthinking. In fact it just may be due to one not thinking enough.

But as far as overthinking a shot, a putt, a chip, or any shot to the point of freezing you up? It does happen on ocassion but I feel I more often do the oposite. I tend to hit with not enough thought about it. But i think thats on purpose because the less I think the more relaxed and usually the better the result.

But not thinking enough sometimes can also be just as costly. But its not really underthinking but is more of a stubbornness (for me) to make adjustments for how things are playing in a given round. Making those adjustments too late after too many lost strokes.
For examples -
the greens vs the last few rounds may be harder/faster that day or slower/softer that day than usual but it takes me too many holes before i convince myself to slow it down or speed it up. Or my irons (possibly due to weather and/or my swing) are playing a little (perhaps a club) longer or shorter that day vs normal and yet again it takes me too many strokes before convincing myself to chose differently. Perhaps todays a day I need to hit short and let it bounce/roll up. Perhaps today I need the extra club legtnh, or whatever etc... Course conditions, weather, and how much better or worse my ball striking is that day all work together in often determining what I should play and how to play it but becuae I actually dont think about it enough as i should I just wait too long and sometimes lose to many strokes before realizing to change things up.

And it kind of sucks as a higher cap player especially when having a good day of ball striking but due to "not" thinking enough to make the adjustments required that day I can waste some of that better ball striking. But I still dont want to and usually dont overthink becuae the results as higher cap player vs many of you would simply be worse vs thinking too much.

I don't think I analyze enough to be honest. I walk up and pull trigger when a practice swing and checking my alignment would do wonders.

i can tend to get too many swing thoughts. so i try to limit to one backswing and one downswing.

where i have seen the greatest improvement from not thinking too much is putting. i mark the ball line up the putt with the ball mark, get beside the ball take some practice strokes to get a feel for the speed i need once i do step up and hit the putt with the momentum i was just feeling it feels like im brent snedeker but it works.

When I was taking lessons I would get on the course and everything I learned was going through my head. I was so paralyzed that some days I couldn't hit the ball to save my life. My instructor used to tell me that he needed to get me out of the "think box" into the "play box". He drew an imaginary box behind the ball and told me to do all my thinking back there and just play once I address the ball. I'm much more relaxed now and try not to over think too much. I'll admit that I analyze way too much after a bad shot as to what I might have done wrong and my mind is churning while riding to the next shot. :)

Oh man you're preaching to the choir here. My job is quite literally to be an analyst, so I'm having to learn to shut down my intellectual side when on the course to a degree. Something I struggled with last season was "monkey mind", where when I would be in my pre-shot routine and even going up to hit I would have unwanted thoughts coming into my head, like "don't over swing, watch out for the trees left, even tempo, aim for center of the green", etc. I had no trust in myself. I have to learn to let go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back