Question about balls tailored for swing speeds

MTC82

Reaction score
Handicap
There's more and more balls out there that say they are designed for specific swing speeds, my question is what harm does it do if you use one that isn't for your speed? The reason I'm asking is that I ordered X2hot+ golf balls a few days ago online and I just received them, the problem is that they are just the x2hot which is designed for speeds under 90. My swing speed is in the high 90s so how will this effect how the ball plays? Should I go through the hassle of trying to exchange it or is it not that big of deal? Thanks and sorry if this was asked somewhere else, I couldn't find a thread about it.

Harm? Probably none. Its like anything else though, if you can find something that fits, you will impact the distance achieved.

It might read probably will effect your spin numbers - they won't be ideal, but that's it. I saw a buddy shoot a 71 with a flying lady X out that he found in the woods. Made my premium ball look waaaaaaaay over priced haha

Not a big deal. I would try them and see what you think. OEM's are just giving some guidance to golfers to try to get them into a ball that suits their needs.

Not a big deal. I would try them and see what you think. OEM's are just giving some guidance to golfers to try to get them into a ball that suits their needs.

This. And when you find one that performs for you consistently, that's the one you go back too. I know I don't mind paying for comfort and knowledge personally

Thanks for all the responses guys I appreciate it. I'll give them a go and see how they feel.

Thanks for all the responses guys I appreciate it. I'll give them a go and see how they feel.

Good choice. If they fit they fit =), you'll never know till you give them a try. If they don't fit give the B330 line a shot, they have a lot of great choices.

You might over compress it a little bit but it probably won't notice it too much. I know when I was playing the wrong bridgestone. It felt like i was hitting a marshmallow.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I don't think harm is the appropriate word, or maybe there just isn't any. I know a few people that play RX Bridgestone instead of b330 which their SS alone, it's all based on preference.

No one says you have to play a certain ball. As stated earlier you can play really well with any ball you just find. Those suggestions are just that, suggestions. Give it a try and see how you like them and you may find something perfect for you and your game.

Lower compression balls are ideal for slower swing speeds and/or colder weather. Should play pretty long, also.

Your swing speed is fine for them. Enjoy.

In all honesty you should have received what you ordered and since golf is such a mental game it may mess you up if you hit just one bad shot thinking the ball is all wrong (even though it isn't) you should get what you paid for and get in touch with whoever you bought them from and getexactly what you want.

I would say you're fine. I think you're better off hitting a ball designed for speeds under yours than those for speeds above it. You'd have less compression the other way around. In you're case you may have more compression and it may feel softer or a bit squishy. I suppose the spin rates would theoretically be affected but probably not enough to hurt you.

I know I've found the right ball when it feels like I'm popping cotton balls up around the greens. I don't pay too much attention to swing speed ratings. It's trial and error til over the feel I'm after which is more important to me than a number on a launch monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played the whole summer a few years back with The Callaway Hex black. My SS was 90 on a good day, and there was no way I should have been playing them - but I probably hit driver that year as well as I ever had. Ultimately though, they launched lower and rolled out a lot - and when conditions softened I was giving up too much distance. But I think I hit them as straight as any urethane ball I ever had, and they were really good around the greens.

Back