How much do you know?

So it seems people don't know a lot but are very quick to offer advise. Why? I'm curious and always have been. I see post that make me scratch my head and I want to say something but don't. But it's like some just repeat stuff they heard even if it doesn't work.

The advise given can prove to make a player worse because it's never just one thing that effects a swing. It's always a few pieces that need to be fixed.
I think it is because people ask for it and most THPrs are anxious to help. I also think there's a learning curve underway on the forum (or will be) - you are far more responsive and thorough in your answers than the previous service. I suspect once the community sees more of that and realize it is a more holistic answer the one-off attempts at helping may subside.

I think it is because people ask for it and most THPrs are anxious to help. I also think there's a learning curve underway on the forum (or will be) - you are far more responsive and thorough in your answers than the previous service. I suspect once the community sees more of that and realize it is a more holistic answer the one-off attempts at helping may subside.

I understand that completely and welcome the input of others but based on the responses there isn't too much swing knowledge. So if that the case I wonder why.

Some of the tips are spot on but there is always more to it. I like the community feel of swing tips, I was just curious

I understand that completely and welcome the input of others but based on the responses there isn't too much swing knowledge. So if that the case I wonder why.

Some of the tips are spot on but there is always more to it. I like the community feel of swing tips, I was just curious
My personal view is that most of us know some stuff but we know it in the context of our own experience and swings. Maybe the helper had a flying right elbow and their instructor gave them a particular drill to work on for it. The person asking for help does the same thing so that person chimes in to offer that drill. But maybe the flying right elbow means something different for the person asking for help than it did for the person offering the tip, so the tip isn't necessarily the right help. That kind of thing.

My personal view is we may collectively gain a greater appreciation for teaching pros through your forum section as we continue to see this.

:act-up:It comes down to diagnosing your own swing,,, again " own" . Helping others is a great trait to have, but some times an overload of help can be destructive. Find a method or combine (2) methods and stick to it..no matter if you are hitting it good or bad. Hard to do,..( believe me)..just stick to what you believe in. Others will critique it and try and debunk it,,but if you believe in it..than the you will be ahead of the game

Tadashi,,there is no such thing as bad advice,, as the advice that is given may have worked for that particular person. There is a million ways to play this game. Which confuses me to no end as well.. What one persons says not to do, than another can debunk this and show they used it and won many events with it. Every area in the swing ( except impact) is easily debunked and many have proven they can do it

this what confuses me..as a big tech head..golf has a million possibilities on how to do it. I wish there was only 1 way...would be so much easier for us

sorry for the rant,,,confused even writing this

mm

So it seems people don't know a lot but are very quick to offer advise. Why? I'm curious and always have been. I see post that make me scratch my head and I want to say something but don't. But it's like some just repeat stuff they heard even if it doesn't work.

The advise given can prove to make a player worse because it's never just one thing that effects a swing. It's always a few pieces that need to be fixed.

I agree with this statement. I do not know near enough about the golf swing. It seems the more research I do, the more I realize I know nothing about the golf swing.

One of my best friends is a regular playing partner of mine. He is constantly asking me "why am I doing this" and "how do I do this." I would love nothing more than to be able to cure his every swing flaw, but I resist any instruction out of fear it will do more harm than good.

^^^^Just Tapped That

Enough that I'm constantly over analyzing and screwing my swing up.

I feel like I know a small amount but any advice I give someone is very general and only if they ask. I don't know enough to sit down and analyze any random swing I see. I know a few things that will cause a slice, a hook, a fat chip, etc. I keep quiet on very specific problems for the most part.

On a side note, I think if someone is asking for advice (especially here) it is okay if another person who may not know what they are talking about to chime in. Maybe they had a similar problem and found something that worked for them.

I'm the first to admit I'm a relative novice to the swing or any tips to improve it. Usually I'll only comment when asked specifically on the course. I do chime in occasionally with drills that I've done that helped with a specific problem. But I don't want to give advice that's incorrect or can make something worse...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back