TMAdidas

Reaction score
Handicap
So, my instructor today told me that I might want to bend my Taylormade MB's a degree or 2 strong. He said that the pros do it and that the extra degrees should put the clubs to nowaday's standards. However, he said that I'll also need to make the lie flatter because bending them strong will make them more upright. So: I am standard/standard (in PING's terms, I'm a black dot), if I wanted to make them 2* stronger, what should my specs be? Here's the current specs: Club Loft Lie
PW 47 64
9 43 63.5
8 39 63
7 35 62.5
6 31 62
5 27 61.5
If I wanted to make them each 2* strong, what should their lie be if I'm standard/standard? Also, how will this bending affect turf interaction? Thanks

Bending will affect bounce and offset but I have never heard of it affecting lie angle. You will likely not notice much difference in turf interaction. In theory they may dig a little more due to the lower bounce.

Here is a conversation I had with Bridgestone on the same topic:

Had a B-fit session to get some more input and found a few things I was not aware of. This is a tremendous service Bridgestone offers.

Erik Dokken: Quick question. I going to get some J40 DPC's and was thinking of having them bent 2* strong to get some added distance. Any issues with bounce in your opinion if they are bent 2* strong?

Jeff: Hey Erik,
Bending them strong will do 2 things...
It will make them dig a little at impact, and it will create more offset.
They have a new sole grind compared to the J38's, which helps keep them from digging as much, so it might not be too bad

Here is a conversation I had with Bridgestone on the same topic:

Had a B-fit session to get some more input and found a few things I was not aware of. This is a tremendous service Bridgestone offers.

Erik Dokken: Quick question. I going to get some J40 DPC's and was thinking of having them bent 2* strong to get some added distance. Any issues with bounce in your opinion if they are bent 2* strong?

Jeff: Hey Erik,
Bending them strong will do 2 things...
It will make them dig a little at impact, and it will create more offset.
They have a new sole grind compared to the J38's, which helps keep them from digging as much, so it might not be too bad

Alright, thanks

I've never seen a loft adjustment affect lie if done properly. There is a chance of the lie moving if the person is not precise with the bending bar positioning, but a good tech will verify both before saying they are done.

IF I get these bent 2* strong, are there are any other adjustments that would need to be made in order to make them play the same as they did before in terms of turf interaction and offset?

You aren't going to be able to do anything to change those two things after you bend them. I wouldn't worry about it though dude. I seriously doubt you'll even notice a difference.

IF I get these bent 2* strong, are there are any other adjustments that would need to be made in order to make them play the same as they did before in terms of turf interaction and offset?

No, they should play the same

You aren't going to be able to do anything to change those two things after you bend them. I wouldn't worry about it though dude. I seriously doubt you'll even notice a difference.

No, they should play the same

Alright, thanks guys. I'm very cautious when it comes to tinkering with clubs, so I'm very grateful for the reassurance.

Alright, thanks guys. I'm very cautious when it comes to tinkering with clubs, so I'm very grateful for the reassurance.

I wouldnt change them just to "keep up with todays standards". Bending for lie angle is one thing but 2* will give you roughly 5yds. Not worth the hassle and cost IMHO

I wouldnt change them just to "keep up with todays standards". Bending for lie angle is one thing but 2* will give you roughly 5yds. Not worth the hassle and cost IMHO

Yeah, it's more for gapping issues with my hybrids than distance. Rather be hitting a 6-iron 160 and on the green than 180 in the bunker :)

Back