Considering a fitting and would like some opinions.

phenom4hire

Reaction score
Handicap
18-19
Like the title says I have been seriously considering a fitting since I am starting to get a bit more serious with my game now and I know it would probably be good for 5 or 6 strokes a round as I can get a little inconsistent with certain clubs. I would like to do the full bag fitting sans putter as I am ok with selecting and working with the putter myself. Here is my dilemma, for those that do not know I live pretty far away from any large cities where I presume the fitting places generally are and the only one I have come across within reasonable range is the sea island learning center on st. simons. Now I know they are top notch as well as expensive and they cater to several pga pros as well which is encouraging considering how much the fitting cost. The only drawback that I seem to have found with this option is that they only fit for certain brands: titleist, ping, mizuno. I need to call and verify that those are the only brands they fit for but that is my understanding based on my research. The other choice I have is to schedule a fitting around a trip for THP or on my visit back to Houston depending on what THP events I get into of course. I may even make a trip within reasonable distance for a fitting if needed. So what would you guys do in my situation. Any recommendations for fitters in florida, georgia, south carolina? I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

A lot of people have been raving about Club Champion lately and they have a boat load of options. There is one located in Atlanta I believe. Someone with more knowledge than I will chime in but I'm sure there are some solid places you can go to in Florida. I've heard good things about the PGA Super Store in Myrtle Beach but you have to get the right guy.

I would highly recommend the Anikka Academy in Orlando, the complete fitting is about $165.00 That takes you though the whole bag or you can do the Driver only or irons, etc. for less and they take a part of it off any purchase.

They will really take good care of you. They fit all levels of golfers from the very new to Pros. Great people, I worked with David Wheeler and he is very easy to talk with and does not rush the process.

Like the title says I have been seriously considering a fitting since I am starting to get a bit more serious with my game now and I know it would probably be good for 5 or 6 strokes a round as I can get a little inconsistent with certain clubs. I would like to do the full bag fitting sans putter as I am ok with selecting and working with the putter myself. Here is my dilemma, for those that do not know I live pretty far away from any large cities where I presume the fitting places generally are and the only one I have come across within reasonable range is the sea island learning center on st. simons. Now I know they are top notch as well as expensive and they cater to several pga pros as well which is encouraging considering how much the fitting cost. The only drawback that I seem to have found with this option is that they only fit for certain brands: titleist, ping, mizuno. I need to call and verify that those are the only brands they fit for but that is my understanding based on my research. The other choice I have is to schedule a fitting around a trip for THP or on my visit back to Houston depending on what THP events I get into of course. I may even make a trip within reasonable distance for a fitting if needed. So what would you guys do in my situation. Any recommendations for fitters in florida, georgia, south carolina? I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Club Champion in Atlanta - A ton of options and have a trackman, Fitters are knowledgeable and very friendly. They are on the pricey side for equipment builds but do offer a lot of options other places cant in terms of building and club combos which makes the higher price understandable.

Ken at Victory Custom Golf in Clover SC - Ken is a great guy and builds most of my clubs. He is located at an outdoor driving range so you can see the ball flight. Has a lot of different brands and many shaft options.

Club fitting isn't something to skip on, so if it's possible make a trip out somewhere to get it done properly. If you aren't satisfied with the selections at a particular place, there are some things you can do.

Find an iron, hybrid, wood, or driver you like at a local golf shop (TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist etc.) and take a guess at the shaft stiffness and hit a few.

Ask yourself: Do I like the look of this? Does it feel good off the face? Does it feel forgiving? How expensive is it?

When you go to get fit for real, most of it will be about the shaft and lie angles and how much forgiveness you need. You can take what you learn to your local golf shop and have them order clubs with your specifications in the manufacture that you want.

That's what I do whenever I need a fitting because the country club doesn't provide the manufactures I want.

Just a thought.

Among the best clubfitters in the US is Dana Upshaw is Warner Robins, GA. Not sure which OEM lines he carries now but I cannot recommend him highly enough. Also concur with Ken at Victory Custom.

I didn't want to be limited to only certain makes either. I drove to orlando for a full bag fitting at club champion. Couldn't recommend it enough. Not sure if atlanta or Orlando would be easier for you if you went that route.

I had a fitting done by The Club Fix and am pleased with what they did for me. Check out the website. www.theclubfix.com

They have a fitting location near Clearwater FL, and may be able to help you find a fitter closer to you. They build clubs from all manufacturers and for all budgets.
Best is to call and see how they can work with you. They spec all their shafts so you know you will be getting what you need.

45170b4be98be70875f602e8fa49a18c.jpg

fe6154b638becf12d9acdaa12586d5d2.jpg

Fitting carts at Sea Island, fitting is expensive but the number of shafts is amazing!

If I can remember them:
Titleist, ping, mizuno, taylormade, callaway, nike, and others.

Among the best clubfitters in the US is Dana Upshaw is Warner Robins, GA. Not sure which OEM lines he carries now but I cannot recommend him highly enough. Also concur with Ken at Victory Custom.

++10 to what Bellairemi said about both Dana and Ken. I have used them both. Got some great Nakashima wedges from Ken.
Looks like you're only about 2 1/2 hours from Dana Golf. I drove up there (about 4 1/2 hours) when i lived in Jacksonville and was very pleased with fitting.

Back