Second bad experience on GCAm Tour

SARSagent6

Reaction score
Handicap
Well I decided to give the Southwest Tour a shot again, and I should have listened to me head. I should be playing n the Snead flight since I've only been playing for a year. I get my pairings on Thursday and I'm in a higher flight, playing from 500 yds longer than what the rules say and to top it off the course was hard for me. I think I'm done with it. Rather play other courses for less money and aggravation. Just taking my money.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

So the contest you play doesnt play to handicaps? Also, its part of contests/tours to be a challenge for every golfer weather pro am or recreational. Starting off with a bad look on it isn't really gonna help you do well to start with. Just gotta train and practice a little harfer. Also a clesr mental approach always helps when playing because a clear mind really helps when it comes to visualizing shots on the course. If you still feel its not gonna work out for you just back out and find a tour or competition that suits your skills and needs.

SARS, it's quite a surprise to me that they would put you in a higher flight, assuming the index on your THP profile is current. Was the field size very small? This is honestly the only reason I could see them not placing you where it is most realistic to your current skill level. Even then, though, I think I remember a lone "Championship" player basically being in his own flight while playing with Palmers. Talk to the local tour director to see what his/her explanation is. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, try Mike Rich. He is the Southeast regional director. mike.rich@golfchannel.com

EDIT: Wanted to add that I have played events run by various local tour directors for the GCAT, as well as a few regional tournaments. Based on feedback from other players, and interaction with the local tour directors, I can think of a couple of local tours I would think twice about playing. Although, one of those has a new tour director for this season. If there are "regular" issues with that local tour, I can understand your hesitation to drop any more coin on it.

Last edited:
SARS, it's quite a surprise to me that they would put you in a higher flight, assuming the index on your THP profile is current. Was the field size very small? This is honestly the only reason I could see them not placing you where it is most realistic to your current skill level. Even then, though, I think I remember a lone "Championship" player basically being in his own flight while playing with Palmers. Talk to the local tour director to see what his/her explanation is. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, try Mike Rich. He is the Southeast regional director. mike.rich@golfchannel.com

That's what i was thinking, low field size would cause that BUT if that was it they should have called him and told him prior of the situation

That's what i was thinking, low field size would cause that BUT if that was it they should have called him and told him prior of the situation

I just checked the schedule for the Southwest FL tour, and if it was the Kingsway event, the field was really small, and only a couple of non-senior players. Even with that, I don't see any "documented" provisions in the handbook for this. Probably falls under something like "based on the discretion of the local tour director... blah, blah, blah". If the local tour director didn't address this prior to the event, or as guys were checking-in, then it was poorly communicated/handled, at the very least.

That is a real shame. The good news is that with your location, you most likely have a lot of THP Events that are possible each year.

GC Amtour

GC Amtour

SARS,
Sorry you had a bad experience. I've been playing in the AmTour for six years, and overall its been great. A couple of things:
- If you are in the wrong flight, tell the Tour director. In my experience,they are glad to correct. Many of the responses so far are correct - if one flight is too small (3 players), they will combine it. Same thing with Sr flights - I am typically grouped with the MidAms - but thats just part of the competition.
- Your "Tour Handicap" will be determined after 3 events, and you will be flighted according to that - not your GHIN or other handicap.
- Someone else suggested contacting Mike Rich - the regional director. I fully encourage that if the local director cannot help you - Mike is a totally solid guy who I have dealt with many times.

I hope you will continue with the GC AmTour. Its a lot of fun, and you will meet some great folks. Good luck..

SS

Well I decided to give the Southwest Tour a shot again, and I should have listened to me head. I should be playing n the Snead flight since I've only been playing for a year. I get my pairings on Thursday and I'm in a higher flight, playing from 500 yds longer than what the rules say and to top it off the course was hard for me. I think I'm done with it. Rather play other courses for less money and aggravation. Just taking my money.

So the contest you play doesnt play to handicaps? Also, its part of contests/tours to be a challenge for every golfer weather pro am or recreational. Starting off with a bad look on it isn't really gonna help you do well to start with. Just gotta train and practice a little harfer. Also a clesr mental approach always helps when playing because a clear mind really helps when it comes to visualizing shots on the course. If you still feel its not gonna work out for you just back out and find a tour or competition that suits your skills and needs.

It should be by handicap to flight but coordinator doesn't do it.

No contact prior. I'm not going to stop playing this game I have fallen in love with. Just leaves a bad taste.

I just checked the schedule for the Southwest FL tour, and if it was the Kingsway event, the field was really small, and only a couple of non-senior players. Even with that, I don't see any "documented" provisions in the handbook for this. Probably falls under something like "based on the discretion of the local tour director... blah, blah, blah". If the local tour director didn't address this prior to the event, or as guys were checking-in, then it was poorly communicated/handled, at the very least.

Exactly what happened, just really bad communication being that this was my 1st tourney. Just seems that the director does a poor job in communicating and handling new players trying to play. Not ever one is experienced.

I'll just keep practicing and playing different courses and just try to play gc am tour majors.

Funny stuff, just received an email. I was the only Snead player and to top it off more I get 3rd place points from the flight I wasn't supposed to be in, lol, just comical at this point. I know when I'm getting hustled.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Funny stuff, just received an email. I was the only Snead player and to top it off more I get 3rd place points from the flight I wasn't supposed to be in, lol, just comical at this point. I know when I'm getting hustled.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

That's a bummer, SARS. I hope you get a chance to play in a more reasonably sized event. If you happen to head-off to the major in Kohler, WI, let me know... I'll be playing there, and in the June major in AZ. Although, being in FL, you have a lot of GCAT options, and, as JB pointed out, probably a good number of official/unofficial THP get togethers.

That's a bummer, SARS. I hope you get a chance to play in a more reasonably sized event. If you happen to head-off to the major in Kohler, WI, let me know... I'll be playing there, and in the June major in AZ. Although, being in FL, you have a lot of GCAT options, and, as JB pointed out, probably a good number of official/unofficial THP get togethers.

Yeah me to, thanks Rambler. I signed up for one major here close to where I live. There are a**holes everywhere, just gotta try to brush them off and keep going. Good luck. I'll keep hackin away.

Played my first one in January! it was freezing cold right after Houston froze over teed off at 35 degrees with gusty winds, it was the most physically miserable I'd ever been on the course. My complaint about GCAT is honestly the registration. I don't have the funds to register for multiple events at once or events months away. So before we even got to January the February event at Redstone was sold out that I wanted to play, the closest major in Lake Charles in April was sold out as well. I did get in for the regular march event at Eagle Pointe but I wish they would not open registration until later because it seems to shut players out. Or make majors something you have to "qualify" for by playing in other events.

This actually is not uncommon, especially in smaller tour areas or at smaller events. I've played about 5 different events (non-majors) on the GCAT and have only played with my flight once. It depends on the number of registrants in your flight for that particular event. If you're SNEAD and you're the only one who registers then they clearly aren't going to just hand you a trophy and cash for your flight.

If you're looking for competitive tour-style golf then you might look at the GolfWeek Am Tour. It's less expensive both on membership and event registration compared to the GCAT. Or you could always try to get in to THP events, which are a great value.

The director doesn't give out cash nor (trophies at all) unless you get into the skins or closest to pin. I didn't want cash nor a trophy for being the only one in the Snead Flight, points is all I wanted. Biggest issue was communication. I'll take a look at other alternatives. Thanks.

No trophy or cash?! That sucks. Sounds like the tour director is kind of slacking on his job. Every event I've played in the winners get a nice trophy and gift cards. Cash is paid out on the skins game. Never did a closest to the pin but I guess that just depends on the tour director.

I can sympathize with you on being bumped to a lower handicap flight, as it's happened to me nearly every time. Makes it tough to compete sometimes. Although, if you're the only Snead in the event you should still get some points just for competing. If others in your flight aren't playing in events that should move you up in the point rankings for the flight.

Best of luck either way, man. I'd definitely try to hook up with the THP crew down in FL. Definitely some quality guys down there.

I found out that some players got a credit at the pro shop of the golf course were playing at and that's it. Lol, live and learn. Who the hell wants a credit at the pro shop, I'd rather get a trophy for placing.

Funny the td must have gotten some message.....
Golf Channel Am Tour

Sign up today for our March event at River Hall CC in E Ft Myers. Early PM tee times on Sunday the 23rd*

River Hall has changed the tee color assignments at their course and not updated it on the computer.*

The Championship flight, Hogan and Palmer flight players will be playing the BLUE tee markers (6400 yds)

Sarazen, Snead and Jones will be playing the WHITE tee markers (6200 yds)

Ladies will play the RED tee markers (5400 yds)

Due to the incredible weather the course is playing fast and smooth. The greens are near perfect and it is one of the most popular courses in the area. Don't miss it

ps; bring a friend to experience the Golf Channel Am tour and get the incredible bonus offered by the Golf Channel for your referral.*

pps; should you bring in a new member and they do not enjoy the Golf Channel Am tour experience and they do not win a prize, I will REFUND their membership fee 100%. This is the best guarantee in the business!!!

Now all of sudden there's tee assignments and awards

If only there was a golfing website with stellar events spread across the country and throughout the year :D

Also a refund if you're not satisfied with the experience. Lol

I have my 2nd GCAm event this Saturday, I know this will be my one and only year playing it. But since I've already paid my money for the year I'll finish it out but I hate the fact that their "majors" sell out months ahead. Even the February event here inHouston was sold out weeks before the January event even teed off. In my opinion their majors should be something you qualify for not just buy into. So I've also started playing Houston Am as well, which is every other week as compared to once a month, the folks are friendlier (though not as much as the THPers) the entry fees are less and it's more frequent. And then finding THP recently and having the honor of going to Dallas for the Adams event and the Lake Charles one as well which has been the biggest bright spot of the year. So after this year I'm sticking with the Houston Am and trying to get in the THP events that I can realistically drive to and then if I'm lucky enough to qualify for a major that I fly to so be it.

Back