Set Gap Wedge vs Traditional Wedge

My set came with a SW and no GW.. so I guess I fall in the traditional wedge bracket. I play a 52° now but really thinking of moving to a 50°

I practiced my short game quite a bit last year, and I came away thinking that I'd prefer my gap wedge to be more similar to my SW and LW. So I guess "traditional" for me.

I played a vokey 50 as my gap with my 710 CB's, but it was only ever used for full shots. Once I got my cmb's, I went out and purchased the gap as well. I figured the extra forgiveness was worth it considering how I used the club for only full swings.

I go gap wedge in the set and traditional wedges after. Only reason I think is because I take full swings with my GW and only partial swings with my 54 and 58

This is a club that I do not want any offset. If the set I am playing has a gap wedge with little or no offset than I prefer to play that. If not I will go with something else. Last year I went with the AMP Cell Pro gap wedge and played the AMP Cell irons. This worked out really well for me.

To be honest I never saw the gap wedge for my Adams CMBs. It wasn't offered with the set, was a special order and I had 3 great wedges already so I didn't give it a second thought.

The 'set' gap wedge for me.

I tend to use my GW in the same situations I would use my 4-PW, i.e. full shots from 100+ yards out, and I feel more comfortable doing that with an iron that matches the rest of my set. When I'm close to the green and feel I need more precision or shot manipulation, i prefer the blade like appearance and sharper leading edge, etc. of my 'traditional' wedges.

My GW is a hammer, whereas my SW and LW are scalpels.

Set gap because it matches my set.

My current setup doesn't match and my next one won't either however I am keeping the same shafts in my irons through 50*.

All of my wedges are always set matching wedges.

Set gap wedge for sure.

It is my money club. 125 yards and I am pulling that i20 UW all day.

This year was my first time to play a set gap with my amp cells. After a season of use I think I'll go back to playing a separate wedge set. The offset was tough and I just didn't feel like I had the consistency at that distance that I've had in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest I never saw the gap wedge for my Adams CMBs. It wasn't offered with the set, was a special order and I had 3 great wedges already so I didn't give it a second thought.

Hmm that's strange. I've always seen gap wedges offered in sets. But with 3 great wedges, no need for more competition.

I recently switched from the '09 Burner Irons to the Callaway XHots. The Burners were thru AW which I believe was at 50 degrees while the PW was 45 degrees. I play a 54 degree CG14 and the gapping seemed about right. The AW would go 105-110 so covered me for the shortest of short Par 3's and such.

The new set was 5i thru PW which is at 44 degrees. I bought an XHot Pro AW because its what they had at the time. I've noticed the gapping is a little off. In fact after putting a DG Spinner in the 54 degree, I've noticed a little more distance than before, getting about 100 yards out of a full swing in the fairway now. The XHot Pro AW is closer in distance to the 54 degree than the even gap to the PW.

So trying to figure out why and what to do about it. First thought is the shaft is a little heavier and maybe slowing my AW swing down a tad. Then I look at the lofts and while an XHot AW is 49 degrees, the Pro AW is 50 degrees. I may have the lofts checked and see if the AW can be bent to 49.

i haven't met a GW or AW from a set that i've liked the feel of thus far. I recently purchased rocketbladez irons that came with a 50* AW. My last set was the mp52 line from mizuno, and my cleveland 52/56 rotex wedges blended well with that set. The rocketbladez pw is a degree stronger, so i'll have to see if the gap from pw to my GW is too wide.

Like others here, i DO take full swings with my GW, but haven't seen a huge benefit to extra forgiveness with all that loft helping me out... that and i enjoy using the 52* for nearly every shot around the green

When I ordered my X-Hots it came with AW which was at 49*, I was then using 52* and 56* MD 2 along with. When I got fitted, the fitter bent my 49* to 48* so I can have 4* difference in my wedges. When I play a 60* wedge, I take the AW out of the bag. I am now contemplating dropping my 3w, and going with PW, AW, 52,56,60.

I would say depends on what typ of player you are and how comfortable with a wedge you are. I have read that club style wedges are engineered to look like your clubs and wedges are engineered for best spin and turf interaction. That's why a lot of pros use pitching wedges that are the same as their wedge set and also why score wants to sell (unless I'm mistaking) 8 iron and down with claims of improving your scoring.

Im about to have the set GW for my XHP's thanks to GregMan aka GregDan. I have always been a specialty GW guy but I am 110% looking forward to the set wedge. More to come...

i'm considering pulling my set 50* gap wedge out of the bag, for some reason, I cant hit down on the ball with it, making my 52* wedge a lot more consistent and 5-8 yards longer

I like to have my gap wedge matching what wedges I am playing as compared to my iron set. I feel you have a little more playability with the traditional wedge setup

i'm considering pulling my set 50* gap wedge out of the bag, for some reason, I cant hit down on the ball with it, making my 52* wedge a lot more consistent and 5-8 yards longer

That is what i did with my last set or irons was more consistant with Regular wedge

This is strange, I thought that 4-GW was the stock setup for the CMB's (that's what I have). Interesting.

Regarding the question, I prefer the set gap wedge usually, but I've played both. I'm less concerned about the head matching up exactly as I am about the shaft - GW is definitely a pretty frequent full swing club for me, so I want the shaft to be the same weight and have the same flex characteristics as the rest of my irons. The other wedge(s) I'm less concerned about that, as they rarely get used for full swings - mostly half and 3/4 swings and around the green stuff.

I received my tracking number for my Apex w/ Recoil 680. They arrive on Thursday. I did not go with the set sandwedge. Now I'm looking to complete my bag by purchasing a 54* and 60* wedge. Should I have any concerns about a swing transition from the AW (swingweight D0) to SW (D4)?

I currently play a set sandwedge and LW with the same shaft as my irons.

My last two sets had matching gap wedges. For me they are only used for full swings around 115-120. I'm actually considering picking up a matching sand wedge as well, since I really only use that for full swings around 100 but find it often goes to 95. My 58 gets a lot of short game work.

I'm currently playing a set of irons that doesn't have a set AW, and I'm finding myself wishing I had one. I use that club almost exclusively on full swings, so while the wedge I have now fits the gap almost perfectly, it does feel a little different on full swings than the iron set does. If a gap wedge is made available, I'll be ordering it.

Back