2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

I thought the Sochi games were awesome. Really well done. Closing ceremonies were amazing.

I thought the Sochi games were awesome. Really well done. Closing ceremonies were amazing.

The games were good. But I hope NBC never gets the contact again.

The Sochi games kind of lost me at the opening ceremony when they depicted communist Russia in the 50s as a sock hop.

They blow it every time by forcing prime time only coverage. No point in watching if you have a smartphone

TTing

It was on tv most of the day on a few various channels. NBC has 5 channels they only use for soccer that they could have used for so many of the events. Instead they would show an event, finish that segment of programming, and then rerun what they just showed.

I am thrilled to be proven wrong on my pre-Games assumption that there would be a terrorist incident during the Games.

Can say that I was pretty burned out on watching nightly, but it was a decent distraction for the 16 days.

This was on my mind a lot as the games concluded. What a great thing to have avoided anything nasty like that..

Still think they need an "non professional rule" ...amateurs only

I disagree...I'd rather the Olympics be about who is best, regardless of status. For a majority of these sports, this is the event that gets them global recognition, even though there are professional events every year. Why would they want to show less than the absolute best athletes?

There isn't really such a thing as "amateur" like 50 years ago.

We use our pros because Euros have variations of the club system where people get paid to be athletes but are still considered amateurs. They don't have our amateur college program at all.

I disagree...I'd rather the Olympics be about who is best, regardless of status. For a majority of these sports, this is the event that gets them global recognition, even though there are professional events every year. Why would they want to show less than the absolute best athletes?

If all countries did it, that would be great. But the reason we went to pros was because other countries ways of getting around the professional status. Paid amateurs, as others have mentioned.

It's never going to go back to amateurs.

You aren't the first person I have heard say that.. Why do you think they need that rule MM?

Had this discussion a few days ago for the rationale behind his belief.
:act-up:I think the Olympics needs to go back to its roots. No more professionals, or so called world champions who already made millions$$. Need to get back to strictly amateurs...college level..after college..before..etc...but absolutely no professional background.. All the events have world champions in them, who compete on a circuit ...and the Olympics is just another so called stop on their schedules. This has become sad really, The spirit of the Olympics has turned to marketing / advertising and already high paid athletes competing for a metal that they could buy with a snap of their fingers...

Need to to go back to 80's type of Olympics...imo

Are you talking about sports like hockey, basketball, soccer (football), and the like? Let me know if I'm wrong, but aren't the Olympics about the best in the world competing against each other to prove who is better, under the flag and support of their nation? Oh, and Olympic athletes get paid exactly zero dollars to compete in the Games, they get rewarded for medal wins and sponsorships, that's all.

Link for real Olympic games salary: http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-much-olympic-athletes-really-get-paid-2012-7

:act-up: Strictly amateurs...at the collegiate level..or other. Not allowing any players that have declared as "professional". And all countries should follow this... And needs to be regulated.

The Sochi games kind of lost me at the opening ceremony when they depicted communist Russia in the 50s as a sock hop.

I hear you, but it's not like they could have kept it real, if you know what I mean. All in all I thought Russia did a great job. The opening and closing ceremonies were excellent.

It was on tv most of the day on a few various channels. NBC has 5 channels they only use for soccer that they could have used for so many of the events. Instead they would show an event, finish that segment of programming, and then rerun what they just showed.

I have no idea what they were thinking. We must have the worst coverage on the planet. To clarify, I liked the games, and the ceremonies. The coverage was a joke.

Whereas I don't quite agree with that, I think they should only include sports where the Olympics is the pinnacle of the sport. So bye bye, tennis, golf, basketball, football..... Federer proved in 2012 just how little the gold medal meant to him. Is Tiger gonna be that bothered about a gold? Compared to his claret jugs and green jackets, nope.

Back