My 2014 Golf Journey - brought to you by braddman19

Just_Brad

#GD 2023Legacy #HYFY - JB says "Be a Brad"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My 2014 Golf Journey - brought to you by braddman19

So, after #THPMC selections were all made, and with the knowledge that wouldn't be able to make it even if selected, my thoughts turned to how I would approach golf this season. If I were to have made it into #THPMC, I would have been upping my practice and play time, re-evaluating my bag setup, trying to get a handle on why I play the way I do (or more-so what I would have to gain by playing differently), and working hard to improve my handicap.

The big question I asked myself was: Why aren't you still planning on doing all of those things?

So, I am going to take the next 8 months (my golf season usually ends the first week of October due to cold and a loss of interest), to address all of those things. I also thought I should keep a record of it so I could reflect back on the improvements I made over the course of that time, and what better way to do so than to start a thread to follow my journey.

So, here we go.

I have been playing more and more over the past 5 years or so... 4 of the previous 5 years I was a member at a local 9 hole course. This resulted in two things: 1) A handicap that is severely home-course biased, 2) and a staggering inability to play consistently away from said course. The handicap I can deal with, as it will adjust itself itself once I start playing other courses again. What I really hope to improve on is my consistency in play.

Attainable goals are what I am shooting for, and I feel that getting them down on paper/on the internet, is a the only way I will keep at it.

In order for me to improve my consistency, I will need to address 5 major issues in my game:
1) Inconsistent short game - from 75 yards and in, I have a 50/50 chance of making par, or posting an 8. This Needs To Change.

2) Putting - I am a reasonably decent putter. I do struggle with distance control however, and this is most evident when playing a variety of courses.

3) 2nd shots from the fairway - long par 4's and par 5's absolutely kill me. A lack of consistent contact with my long irons/hybrids/woods is something that haunts me. I dread long approach shots. The chunked iron from the fairway is my speciality.

4) Course Strategy, and Playing My Game - I get sucked into trying to play the same as those in my group. Going for the green in 2 because the other people are doing it? Sure. Pitching Wedge because others are doing it, when I should be hitting a 8 iron? Sure. I need to play to my strengths, and stop letting pride affect how I play.

5) Distance - I am putting distance as #5, because it is the last thing I should be worrying about. I always want more yards off the tee, and wish I could hit ever club longer than I do.... but realize that if the first 4 issues don't improve, then the 5th is sort of a losing endeavor.

I am still probably at least a month, possibly even 2 or 3 from being on a range, or on a course due to snow/cold.... but I thought it would be good to get a jump start on the season by getting my goals front and center for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post (and if you choose to, the following posts over the course of the season).

Cheers everyone,
Brad aka braddman19

Awesome thread Brad. I look forward to following your journey to a better game. I love seeing threads like this, it helps push me even more to help attain the goals I've set for myself. Good luck buddy.

Good luck with it! I think having a plan, regardless of what the plan is, is a great start.

You got a particular target in terms of score or h'cap?

Brad you and me have some of the same issues and the same goals to get to this year. Will defiantly be watching on how the year goes for you. Best of luck to everything you work on.

Good luck with it! I think having a plan, regardless of what the plan is, is a great start.

You got a particular target in terms of score or h'cap?

When I was last calculating my handicap it was a 9.8 oob, but very skewed from playing a 9 hole track for 95% of my rounds.

I honestly would be happy if I could play to a 9 by the end of season, but by having the handicap being a travelling handicap for me.

Last season, golf was not a priority for me, as I ended up with 6 total rounds I believe (down from the 50 - 80 I would play in previous years). My swing is a shell of what it used to be, but that hopefully this will allow me to fix some of the issues I had previously.

Priority for me is definitely consistency. If better scores come with that consistency, that will be wonderful.

Best of luck to you on your journey. I also like this kind of threads, even made one myself. I´m in similar position, courses in Finland won´t be open until May. Is there any possibility to practice indoors in your area?

Good luck Brad. I like your thoughts on not worrying about the number as much as worrying about what goes into making it. That's one of my main focuses this year.

great thread and great goals Brad! no what were you planning to do to achieve them, take lessons, practice, play more?

Best of luck to you on your journey. I also like this kind of threads, even made one myself. I´m in similar position, courses in Finland won´t be open until May. Is there any possibility to practice indoors in your area?

The nearest practice facility here is 30 mins away, sadly it used to be located 5 minutes away from my home. Last season they decided to move the winter school to the course that the Pro works at. Great for him, but really taking away the convenience. It is quite the drive when it is -25C out, snowing, and windy.... as it seems to be every day.

Normally this time of year, I would be wrapped snuggly in my "no golf until spring" cocoon. Bio Cell Iron testing has brought me out of that, and hopefully the weekend of the 15th of Feb I will make it in to Winnipeg to Winnipeg and the Golf Dome to swing some clubs again. I can only do so much at my local Nevada Bob's. The FlightScope there is really just for testing irons before you purchase, and I don't want to start abusing the ability to hit some balls there.

The next month or so, hopefully, will be spent primarily on the stretches that Tadashi has put up, and cardio so that I am not a complete mess once the courses/range actually do open up here.

Good luck Brad. I like your thoughts on not worrying about the number as much as worrying about what goes into making it. That's one of my main focuses this year.

Thanks Hawk. I would much rather have a firm foundation to my game again, than playing as erratically as I did last season. I realize it was only 6 rounds last season, but I had really intended to make strides last year. When 2012 ended, I was playing my best golf ever, finished with my lowest number in qualifying for our club championship (1 stroke back of championship flight), and was really playing "over-my-head".... but I wasn't having fun.

The main thing I took from my golf in 2013 was enjoying golf again. I was having fun again, even though my scoring was terrible, and that was what was most important to me.

I really want to build on that. I want to be having fun, but I also want to be playing better, and that balance is important to me.

Do you play WheatCity? Northern Pines. My sister lives in Souris so I have been out your way a bit to see. What other options are around you to explore new courses?

Do you play WheatCity? Northern Pines. My sister lives in Souris so I have been out your way a bit to see. What other options are around you to explore new courses?

The course that I would consider my home course, was Deer Ridge. Wheat City I haven't played in a couple years due to all the flooding and repairs they have been doing. Northern Pines is fine, but its really more of a short par 3 course.

Last year's courses were Miami MB, Roland MB, Glenboro, Sunnyside, Deer Ridge, Oak Island. In terms of places I want to get out to this year.... Killarney, Clear Lake, Onanole, Poplar Ridge, Neepawa, Minnedosa, Carberry.... there are a ton around.

Hoping to play in the International this year. "The Nash" is a tournament I have been wanting to do for a couple years, but it seems getting married/having an anniversary that usually falls on that weekend is a bit of a downer. Supposedly an awesome tournament, 2 courses in Canada, and 2 in the USA. http://www.international-golf.net/

Last edited:
Good luck Brad. Embrace SPi with that Si2 and you will be amazed at the improvement in your putting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Love it Brad. As I am prepping for the season I will be following along as well. Definitely will pick up a few things along the way as well.

Good luck man! Cant wait to follow along

I am really starting to go out of my mind, waiting for golf season. It seems like it will never come.

Golf league looks to have fallen through for this season. It would have been a great scheduled round every week, and a reason you get off work early one day a week. Closed number of teams, and we were on the wait list, and unfortunately no spots opened up. A bit of a disappointment, but it frees up a bit of cash to play elsewhere.

On the bright side, encouraging news this week in terms of new playing partners for the course I am planning on joining this year. A couple guys my age, who know through some mutual friends, were members there last year, and really encouraged me to join up and play with them this season. Exciting to have some new people around that are as into golf as I am.

Club wise, with adding the Mashie 4H to the bag, I hope to be set for the year.... it is not however stopping me from trying to snag a set of Bio Cell irons on the cheap from Ebay. Just waiting for my shaft clamps to show up this week, and then hopefully I can get my Si2 shortened to a length that works best for me.

Stretching and a bit of putting practice has been my routine the past couple of weeks. Really would love to be able to get outside, but it sure looks like it will be at least another month before that becomes a reality.

Until Next Time,
Cheers,
Brad

I hear ya on waiting for the season to start being terrible. I thought that there might be a chance that I could have squeezed in one cold round in by now but not even close.

Hate to hear your league didn't work out for you, but that's good news you found a group to join and play with at the new course.

The season will start soon enough, ok well eventually it will I believe

Well, after a whirlwind couple of days, I gave my notice of resignation at my job which I have held for almost 7 years this morning.

I had really been struggling the past couple years, conflicted in that I didn't want to do what I do anymore, but that employment here that would allow me to pay the bills was few-and-far between.

Taking a chance, I applied for a job completely out of my line of work, having little to none of the requested experience. I was chosen for an interview, which I thought was strange. I knew nothing about the employer, but after a bit of research I thought that this could be the one. Sat down in the interview, and even though I had none of the experience, they wanted me.... even stranger.

Hating what you do really tanked my confidence in my abilities. I was embarassed to say what I did, my employer was un-recognizable (and having to explain who we are, and what we did), and was just really really unhappy.

Now the good parts. More pay, better hours (done early every Friday), I start at mid-management with the hopes that I can advance into upper-management (their words, not mine), and an employer who genuinely seems excited/motivated to create a role for me.

This puts the kibosh on league for sure (especially unfortunate after hearing a slot opened up), but the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages.

Really really excited for this new chapter in my life to begin!

Congrats Brad! Always a little scary to take a big step like that, but it sounds like you made a great choice. Good luck in the new venture dude.

Comgratulations on the new job Brad!

Today was my final day of employment with the place I have been at for the past 6+ years (it would have been 7 come May).

This job had been a significant source of stress for me, both job related and otherwise. Some of the things that have gone over the past 6 months especially really soured me on continuing to be here.

Luckily I was provided an opportunity to join up with a company who does work (mainly supplying to the oil industry), for significantly more money, more responsibility, more authority, and better hours. The change of environment will hopefully be very positive!

This biggest benefit will be that I am done a half hour earlier every day, as well as 2.5 hours earlier on Fridays. Really excited as this opens a lot more practice time during the week days for me. Range availability is typically much easier to come by prior to 5pm every day, and tee times on Fridays are almost always wide open here during the afternoons!

Very nervous/excited to start my new adventure on Monday!

Good luck with the new Job and having more practice and play time is always better

Sounds like a good change at a good time, good luck in the new role (and enhanced practice time :D )!!

Well it has been ages since my last post. Why? Life got in the way.

The new job has been great, really challenging and rewarding. It is like I am a different person now in terms of how much happier I am on a daily basis. When I come home stressed out, its because I had a lot going on, and not because I hated everything about my job like I used to.

Last Thursday our bathroom reno got into full swing. I never realized how much of a disruption having only a shower in a bathroom (bare walls, no toilet, no vanity) could be to my normal daily routine. Slowly but surely it is coming together again. Tub/Shower is in, drywall is up, first coat of mud is up. Hopefully painted by Monday night.

My yard is untouched so far. Mulch still on the flower beds, grass is getting a bit unruly. That is what happens when it goes from 5 degrees and pouring rain for a week, to +30c with tons of sun.

Which brings me to today. Seriously the best day of the year so far. A slight breeze, 30 degrees celsius, and off work at 2:30pm. One of the guys at work has been on me to get out golfing. Today was the day. Myself and two others from work headed to the course. Some mixed feelings, as I was super hesitant, having not hit a ball outside this year. A bucket of balls, and to the range I went before the round.

Now my bag is pretty different from the last time I played. Out came my Burner 2.0 Irons, in went Altitudes 4-DW. Out came a Superfast 3W, in went a 910f 4W. In went a Mashie+ 4 hybrid. In went my SeeMore Si2. Now that is a lot of change to be taking straight to the course. The Altitudes so far are the favorite. Straight. On Target. Never wavering. Pulled out the SC100, just to try and get some rough distances. Driver to 4hybrid are super short for me right now. Driver is about the saddest part of my game (has always been a struggle).

The boss shows up for our round, and surprise to me, free round, free cart, work foots the bill. A bucket of balls for everyone, and off to the first tee we went.........

So on the first tee, I am all full of nerves. Don't get me wrong, I have played this course hundreds of times, but it has been almost a year since I was there last. Driver gets pulled on the first tee, even though I have zero confidence, and I get it down the right side in the rough, but still in play. I figure I will try and recap it hole by hole for the first round.

Par 35, fairly easy if you play fairways and greens. Tougher if you start losing balls.

Hole 1: Par 5 - Drive to the right rough. 7 iron to ~100 yards. Airmail a PW (still unsure on yardages). Chip past the hole about 30 feet, 3 putt. A Double Bogey 7. Rough Start. Understandable (like an idiot didn't practice chipping or putting before the round)

Hole 2: Par 4 - Drive to the left rough (150 out). Chunked 7 iron to 50 yards out. Pitch to 20 feet. 3 putt. Double Bogey

Hole 3: Par 4 - 6 iron to 100 yards. DW to 3 feet. Sink the BIRDIE putt. (I made up a ton of strokes on this hole. That happens when the others lose 2 balls of the tee each). BIRDIE.

Hole 4: Par 3 - 4 iron to left side of the green. Chip 20 feet past the hole. 2 putt. Bogey

Hole 5: Drive to right rough (deep). 7 iron to 5 yards short of the green. Chip past the green. 2 putt. Bogey.

Hole 6: PW to 10 feet. 2 putt. Par.

Hole 7: 4W to 80 yards. DW to 3 feet. Birdie putt falls. BIRDIE.

Hole 8: 4 iron chunked to 160 in the deep rough. 7 iron to 5 yard short of the green. Chutt to 5 feet. Sink the par putt. Par.

Hole 9: Chunked 6 iron to the left rough. 7 iron layup to 100 yards. PW over the green. Chip past the hole. 2 putt. Double bogey.

Overall I finished with a 41, 6 over par. Not bad considering my chipping and putting was terrible. Sources of confidence were definitely the irons (particularly the DW). Playing smooth and steady, advancing the ball, trying to minimize my mistakes. No lost balls.

Definitely had a lot of fun today. Probably the least amount of stress I have ever had on the course. Very promising getting a birdie, and a couple birdie chances in my very first round of the year.

Hopefully more positives are yet to come.

Last edited:
Back