Big Bertha Alpha Driver Review

g4L, you are going to love this driver. Having played with you a few times and our apparent likeness to similar equipment, I can picture this one in your hands. Although you do out drive me by about 40 yards...

From what I've heard, I think the BBA has narrowed the gap substantially for you. Can't wait to put this in play, I really can't!

Just got back from Golfsmith after a golftec lesson. I got the BBA in the stock X-stiff shaft all to myself on the monitor for about 20 minutes. I started hitting some nice, 12.5 degree launch, 160 ball speed BOMBS with it, but they were all curving too far left. I happened to glance over at the table and there lay a Callaway torque wrench. I promptly switched the 1 and 7 gram weights, checked to see if the gravity core was down (it was) and had at it again. Also, the driver was set at +1 loft and neutral lie. I left that as it was.

And.... Nirvana!! 8 or 10 swings and had averages of 13 degrees of launch, 159-160 ball speed, 2050 spin, azimuth of +2, side spin about -300 (draw), carry of almost 280, total distance 309! This included one bomb of 325 yards that landed 1 yard off center. Dispersion was much better too, average of 6 yards left of center. And this was with a fairly smooth swing to boot.

I don't know if I can do much better than this, but maybe I can get a little more carry by putting it up to +2 on loft. I'm VERY psyched to get to game this bad boy shortly. #theKing can't come fast enough!

Holly, darn near perfect numbers Batman.

I can't wait to try the alpha. Too bad it is so expensive in Sweden. I have the Ping g20 now, but we are not really friends. Going for a driver fitting soon. Also the range at my home course has opened. All the snow gone already. Game on.

I can't wait to try the alpha. Too bad it is so expensive in Sweden. I have the Ping g20 now, but we are not really friends. Going for a driver fitting soon. Also the range at my home course has opened. All the snow gone already. Game on.

Soooo - let me get this right - no snow & courses open in Sweden, but in Md. most courses still closed? Grrrrrr...

Weird winter in Sweden this year. :)

I just got my Alpha in the mail today! I'll be putting it right to the test on the course with my Dad tomorrow. Can't wait

So I put the Alpha head to head against my Bio Cell today. Oh my goodness is the Alpha the real deal once you get it set right.

So I put the Alpha head to head against my Bio Cell today. Oh my goodness is the Alpha the real deal once you get it set right.

Awesome to hear. Still looking for more time w/ the alpha and that ideal setting. I know it will be a monster.

I had the chance to spend hours today in with the Alpha on a launch monitor. All I Can say is WOOOOOW. Once I got it tuned up the numbers were off the chain for me.

9* +2 D
Gravity Core up
7 gram on the toe
Switched to the 50g Fubuki shaft Stiff (Only had the fubuki options there cant wait to try a few more)

But the numbers were nuts.
108mph
16 Degrees of Launch and 1900-2100 spin rate for me.
And 270+ of carry. I have never hit a driver this far. It was mind blowing. This will be in my bag.

I had the chance to spend hours today in with the Alpha on a launch monitor. All I Can say is WOOOOOW. Once I got it tuned up the numbers were off the chain for me.

9* +2 D
Gravity Core up
7 gram on the toe
Switched to the 50g Fubuki shaft Stiff (Only had the fubuki options there cant wait to try a few more)

But the numbers were nuts.
108mph
16 Degrees of Launch and 1900-2100 spin rate for me.
And 270+ of carry. I have never hit a driver this far. It was mind blowing. This will be in my bag.

Interesting numbers you got with a 9* driver. Shows the gravity core can help at ton. Nice!

Interesting numbers you got with a 9* driver. Shows the gravity core can help at ton. Nice!

I took it up 2 degrees also. That was the sweet spot.

I took it up 2 degrees also. That was the sweet spot.
Nice! So hitting it at 11*.

Lofting up, I like it Trev! Keep doing your think bro!

ehevarup.jpg

Spent some time with the BBA earlier this week. Attached are my numbers once I was warmed up. Driver was set gravity core up, 11 degree, and the stock fubuki stiff shaft . I definitely need the gravity core up to keep the spin from going to low. Launch is still a little low for my liking, as I struggle to hit the ball high. I was seeing 5-9 mph increase in ball speed over my amp cell which resulted is more distance. I need to spend more time with the BB and BBA and I'm looking forward to hitting them out doors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ehevarup.jpg

Spent some time with the BBA earlier this week. Attached are my numbers once I was warmed up. Driver was set gravity core up, 11 degree, and the stock fubuki stiff shaft . I definitely need the gravity core up to keep the spin from going to low. Launch is still a little low for my liking, as I struggle to hit the ball high. I was seeing 5-9 mph increase in ball speed over my amp cell which resulted is more distance. I need to spend more time with the BB and BBA and I'm looking forward to hitting them out doors.

More ball speed is awesome. I would suggest going to the BB over alpha as it is WAY more forgiving. I gamed it this weekend here in dallas and was crushing it. I play it at 10.5. You should for sure go to a 10.5 head, maybe jack ot up to 11.5 higher launch, more forging head, more ball speed = way more distance

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

The last few weeks I have been scuffling with my swing. Especially with my driver.

I've spent a lot of time on the range working through it. The thing I've realized is that apart from some really awful swings, my shots with the Alpha are falling between a 15-20 yard gap. I found that pretty amazing, because my swing has been all over the place.

I got more dialed in with the swing today, and I was hitting some towering drives. (I'm playing it at 10* with gravity core down). Carry for several shots was well over 260. It was nice to see those results coming back.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how closed the face is when the Alpha is set to 11*? I know at stock setting the face is open.

The last few weeks I have been scuffling with my swing. Especially with my driver.

I've spent a lot of time on the range working through it. The thing I've realized is that apart from some really awful swings, my shots with the Alpha are falling between a 15-20 yard gap. I found that pretty amazing, because my swing has been all over the place.

I got more dialed in with the swing today, and I was hitting some towering drives. (I'm playing it at 10* with gravity core down). Carry for several shots was well over 260. It was nice to see those results coming back.

You had better let me hit this one in HHI. I want to see what the hype is all about.

ehevarup.jpg

I think you would benefit more with the core down. That's some pretty high spin numbers. Might even help get that launch up as well.

Do you miss high on the face? Cause if you don't, I would think the core up would harm you more that hurt. Did you try hitting it with the core down?

More ball speed is awesome. I would suggest going to the BB over alpha as it is WAY more forgiving. I gamed it this weekend here in dallas and was crushing it. I play it at 10.5. You should for sure go to a 10.5 head, maybe jack ot up to 11.5 higher launch, more forging head, more ball speed = way more distance

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I didn't have the time with the BB that day due to a fitting but it's next on my radar.

I spent sometime working with the Alpha today....I can see me adjusting the loft up a bit to 9. I need to spend some time on the launch monitor at Golftec. Swing changes have brought the ball down a little lower than optimal to my eye. How ever I'm really liking the dispersion I'm seeing. Of course poor swings produced poor results. But the few I hit out on the toe had the typical distance loss, and more lateral movement then normal.

I think you would benefit more with the core down. That's some pretty high spin numbers. Might even help get that launch up as well.

Do you miss high on the face? Cause if you don't, I would think the core up would harm you more that hurt. Did you try hitting it with the core down?

I hit a few (bad) shots with the core down. It definitely lowered the spin but my launch went down with it. My miss is mainly toe side but can be high and low. I'm looking forward to more swings with the BB as it will likely provide me more forgiveness.

I plan on going through a proper fitting as well. I was just getting a feel for the BBA between paying customer fittings!

Haha. No problem buddy. I would say go with the BB. While the Alpha is sweet, it's a low spinning beast and isn't too forgiving out on the toe or the heel.

The BB will still give you the hot face but a lot more lateral forgiveness. Looking forward to hearing more about what you find out though.

You had better let me hit this one in HHI. I want to see what the hype is all about.

I'm bringing it, my friend. With wrench in hand.

I have a feeling that the range at HHI will resemble a Callaway demo day. #BerthasBack

Haha. No problem buddy. I would say go with the BB. While the Alpha is sweet, it's a low spinning beast and isn't too forgiving out on the toe or the heel.

The BB will still give you the hot face but a lot more lateral forgiveness. Looking forward to hearing more about what you find out though.

The hot face is definitely noticable. First swing on launch day I noticed the face. It's a different feeling compared to my amp cell for sure. Sound of both is very pleasing, as been stated by many!

Back