How often do you change your wedges?

12 years but I don't conform to the groove rule and I sharpen mine all the time. I don't think the rule should apply to the casual golfer and I've always thought it was a rediculous change in equipment conformity to begin with so I don't care anyways. I'll probably never ditch my carbite wedges unless they are stolen.

You guys are all giving time as years... how many rounds/buckets are each of those clubs hitting? I probably get 30-40 rounds a year and use each wedge 3-4 times in an average round, maybe a bit more maybe a bit less but lets say for arguments sake 5 times. That is 200 balls. Maybe another 1000 balls or less off of it at the range? So 1000-1500 balls a year off that club on average and a good portion are 1/2 swings, chips & pitches. Is that really enough to wear out a wedge to the point of spending $100-150 x 2-3 wedges every year?

Do any of you use a groove sharping/deepening tool to restore the grooves on your wedges? Is it recommended?
I remember I was in a golf store about a year ago and a customer in front of me asked about this and was told it was not a good idea as the edges of the grooves will be to sharp and start tearing the cover of the golf ball when striking it.
The employee said that there was a proper tool which cost about €200 to do it right.

Is this a ploy to sell a new wedge or is there any truth behind this?

Last edited:
I switch the lob and sand wedge before every season.......

I usually get 2 seasons out of my wedges.

Just as the title says- how often do change out your wedges? I know some on here change twice a year. Others once. Do you keep them longer?

When I practiced a lot I'd go two sets a year, now I switch about every 9 months. Thanks for the reminder lol, I'm do.

So, my 5 year old vokeys were do for a change.....

Pretty much a lifetime purchase lol.

Back