Callaway Apex Pro Irons Review Thread

Sounds like the lighter shaft in these helped Tad, wouldn't you say?

Cause currently I would say the heavier (Vs) is helping with my accuracy and no loss in distance.

Played my 3rd round with these today. I am just amazed by the feel and accuracy of these irons. I'm about a half club longer than I was with the X Hot Pros. I love the feel of the Tour V shafts and the SR2 ball is like butter off the face. I was 3 under on my first 4 holes I played with these irons last week, and not one put was over 10 feet. I thought that might be a fluke, but these continue to be very accurate. Today there was a 10 to 15 mph wind. Trajectory was very piercing and wind did not seem to affect the ball as much as with the X Hot Pros with Project X 95 shafts.

I am loving these irons. It is supposed to snow the next couple of days, so it may be a while before I get to play again. My Alpha arrives tomorrow, so I'm hoping it warms back up soon.

Hello all, first post, had to chime in on Apex Pro love. Getting mine hopefully by weekend. With all the praise in this thread for Tour-V, was beginning to regret my decision to go with Tours, but this combination just felt better than anything I have ever hit. Good to see some validation from 3 posts up. Can not wait to play.

Sounds like the lighter shaft in these helped Tad, wouldn't you say?

Cause currently I would say the heavier (Vs) is helping with my accuracy and no loss in distance.

The tours are heavier than the Tour-V. 10 grams for each flex.

Finally had another round with these this past weekend. Golf has never been this tough to play in South Alabama. The weather has been so bad.

Having not played as much, I have developed a little rust in my swing. When I received these clubs, I had been playing a lot of golf and my first reviews expressed how much longer these clubs made the ball fly and how forgiving these clubs were. My swing is not back where is should be, but I still notice the same thing about these clubs, long and straight. I am still having a tougher time makings these clubs draw or fade how I can make my S56s. That is my only complaint, and it could be more a swing flaw than it is the clubs.

Now that golf season is finally here, never been a problem in the past, I cannot wait to get some more time with these and see if I can get them dialed in. Until then, I will just have to deal with straight and long shots...

Yesterday on my way home from work I got a call from a friend of mine that I play with when I get the chance. He is a real good guy, great at golf (past club champion) and very knowledgeable when it comes to golf equipment. He even mentioned checking out THP for information.

He was calling me to discuss the Apex Pros. We got our S56s about the same time a couple if years back. He played them for well over a year and recently trade them in on a new set of AP2s. He had moved to almost an all Titleist bag. He told me he recently added the new BB Alpha and BB 3wd. Added the MD2 wedges and is sporting one if the new Milled Putters. He said it took him by surprise that his entire bag moved to Callaway. He was thinking if all of their stuff is this good, what about the irons.

We spoke for over 30 minutes comparing the S56s, AP2s and the Apex Pros.

I was telling him about the forgiveness these guys had. I couldn't talk enough about the Tour-Vs in the irons. I basically told him everything we all have been saying on here. I offered to left him play with my irons, but he said "that's ok, I am going to trade my AP2s in on a set tomorrow."

This is not only a shout out to the Apex Pros, but a shout out to the entire Callaway company. They have taken ownership of my friend's bag, and I wouldn't be surprised if they take ownership of many others.

^^^^Just Tapped That

Finally got to play a round with these today! They flat out performed for me!

I had my RocketBladez Tour 4 iron with me so I could tee off with both. I hit both on one hole and the difference was noticeable.

I hit the RBZ tour first and hit it dead straight but slightly off the toe (that is my current miss.) It was a good swing and good shot overall.

I pulled out the Apex Pro 4i and didn't make a great swing. I used a lot of arms and pulled it left just slightly. However, I did hit it pretty flush on the sweet spot and it felt good. The ball had a good flight and found the fairway.

The thing for me is my shot with the Apex was about 10 yards farther than the RBZ Tour. It was nice seeing a slight mis hit travel so well.

The rest of the day went really well with them as I shot a 1 over 36 for my first round since November.

So I have been hearing everyone say that all these shafts are no up charge in the apex pros. When I ordered mine they told me that anything other then the stock shafts were an up charge (I just assumed they where right as that is the way it usually is)

i went Inn to golf town today and questioned them on then no up charge thing. I really wanted the c-tapers as that is what I played in my last set. Turns out the only up charge on shafts they have is for the c-tapers. It is $27 per club.

i wonder if the no up charge on the c-tapers is only through USA retailers?

So I have been hearing everyone say that all these shafts are no up charge in the apex pros. When I ordered mine they told me that anything other then the stock shafts were an up charge (I just assumed they where right as that is the way it usually is)

i went Inn to golf town today and questioned them on then no up charge thing. I really wanted the c-tapers as that is what I played in my last set. Turns out the only up charge on shafts they have is for the c-tapers. It is $27 per club.

i wonder if the no up charge on the c-tapers is only through USA retailers?

Sounds fishy to me. They are ordering the clubs from Callaway, and Callaway does not charge extra for the C-tapers. I would contact Callaway and ask them. They should be able to straighten your local golf shop out.

Sounds fishy to me. They are ordering the clubs from Callaway, and Callaway does not charge extra for the C-tapers. I would contact Callaway and ask them. They should be able to straighten your local golf shop out.

Sent an email to callaway. See what they have to say

Had a pretty long range session with these irons today. This was my first real range session of the season.

I started off swinging my PW. First shot, dead right field. I was surprised at this because this was my first shot like this with the Apex Pros. The next shot was much better. I hit some really solid shots. My dispersion was not where I would have liked it, but I am to blame for that.

I noticed the guy next to me was hitting some Amp Cell Pros. I asked him about his specs and found out they were the same as mine. So I grabbed my 7iron and his 7iron, and went to work.

The Apex Pro was so much more forgiving. So much softer. The trajectory was much more piercing. The Apex Pro flat out beat the Amp Cell Pro.

After my comparison, I allowed my neighbor to hit my Apex Pros. I watched him hit a few with both irons, and I could tell the balls hit with the Apex Pros were much straighter and more consistent with the Amp Cell Pros. When I asked him about his thoughts, he's replied "They are OK." I just laughed and said that's why they make different clubs.

Proceeded my range session with some really nice shots. Ended the range session with the 4iron. This is the first 4iron I have ever been able to hit.

I am playing a round tomorrow, so I will have more info then.

^^^^Just Tapped That

Great stuff Cody.

And I'm with you on the long irons, just stupid easy to launch for such a compact head

Well what can I say. Callaway is a stand up company and I am glad I went with their equipment this year! They are going above and beyond for me! Thank you callaway!!

Had a great couple of rounds this weekend. I hit a lot of greens, and I feel these irons had a lot to do with it. I had more confidence hitting greens with my 5 and 6 irons than I have ever had in the past. I was hitting these irons so great this weekend. Before my couple of rounds this weekend, I was trying to think about how to start splitting bag time with these and my old gamers. This weekend may have proved that time does not need to split. I was able to work the ball a little better this weekend. Workability is the only issue I have experienced over the last couple of months. I hit a few draws/hooks on some doglegs this weekend that would make anyone proud. The best being a big hook (20 yards) with my 5 iron to an elevated green 204 out. I hit it to about 10'. After this weekend I have total confidence with these irons. I now know these irons have the capability to pull off any shot necessary.

After hitting a 4 iron to about 20' from 224 out, I heard a friend of mine say "Man I wish I could hit an iron that far."

Got in a round with my apex pros after a fresh install of ust recoil prototypes. I have fallen in love with these all over again. My swing was off but I was starting to really strike these well toward the end of the round. Ended the day with beautiful tight draw 178 yd 8i with helping breeze and downhill a bit. Landed about 8 ft from the pin and stuck. The apex and recoil combo is amazing

Got in a round with my apex pros after a fresh install of ust recoil prototypes. I have fallen in love with these all over again. My swing was off but I was starting to really strike these well toward the end of the round. Ended the day with beautiful tight draw 178 yd 8i with helping breeze and downhill a bit. Landed about 8 ft from the pin and stuck. The apex and recoil combo is amazing

Love that combo! The lightweight recoils increase my swing speed a bit and feel so nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Love that combo! The lightweight recoils increase my swing speed a bit and feel so nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mine are the 125g prototypes. The recoils in the fitting cart (680s i believe) I tried with apex head was long as heck. The feel of recoils is unreal

Finally pulled the trigger on the Pros today! Ordered 5-A with KBS Tour Stiff, soft-stepped 1X. Over the past month I have tested them extensively against the AP2s and the MP54s. Never thought I would buy Callaway irons but the Apex Pros just have it all. In comparison, I hit them more consistently with great launch and great feel. I hit the Pros every bit as well as my i20s but the feel is not comparable--buttery and powerful. Can't wait for them to arrive!

Glad to see so much Apex Pro love. Mine will be back in the bag in a few weeks

After reading so many reviews on the Callaways I finally broke down and went to the PGA store and tried them. I wanted to like the regular Apex but couldn't hit them worth a flip. The Apex pro? That's another story as they are so easy to hit and fly forever with the recoil shafts. My 6 iron distance was 188 yards with a club speed of 87 MPH. That's 177 carry plus roll out. Ball speed is 116 vert angle is 15.7 degrees. Ball spin was 4396 RPM with a height of 26 yards. This was the Apex pro with the regular 81 gram shaft. The Callaway cart they had didn't have the 95 to compare this to so they suggest I go with the ones I hit. I love them but for peace of mind I want to hit these with the 95 gram recoil before I pull the trigger. Although these felt so good for my age and handicap.......... Also these are not stock shafts in the Apex Pro so you have to order them or most likely I would have them right now. These suckers are smooth and long!

Got out an played today with these. I had been struggling a bit with the super soft conditions the past month or so. It was good to see the firmer conditions so I could get a feel of turf interactions and a little more normal distance and dispersion idea. I found that I was on average 1/2 club longer than my previous gamers. Which is good to see, but the dispersion was much tighter. I have the X100 shafts in my Apex pros which is the same shaft I had in my MP30s. I'm starting to wonder (ponder) putting the s400's in these. I need a few more rounds to get a better idea if that will happen or not. Loving the feel of these so far.

I got to hit Jeff/Johns irons this weekend on the range and they are crazy good. When I put a nice smooth swing on them the ball just flew of the face, with great ball flight.

I need to hit these again

First real lengthy practice session with my Pros. Have only 7-PW as I was considering a combo set with the Apex. Came away extremely impressed with the feel, trajectory and from the apparent ball speed off the face. The forgiveness was difficult to determine as I'm limited to dome practice until the remaining 3 feet of snow is gone. The Apex Pro is a small package but it offers enough thickness at address to provide confidence. Big plus in my book! I'm not a guy who likes razor thin.

The session persuaded me to move my Apex irons and order an additional 5 & 6 iron in the Pros. The more muted feel of the Apex Pro is what I look for versus the Apex.

Might do something interesting though with the 4 and 5 and go with the new Adams DHY Pros with the same tour v shafts as my Apex Pro irons.

My apex pros should be back from callaway Wednesday with some fresh c-tapers in them ready to go!!!!

weather is shaping up here and should be on the course by the end of the month!!

Back