I find that a forward press adds an inconsistent variable to the putting stroke. No need to add variables.

With modern course management and putter designs, there is no functional need to do to it IMO
Agreed, it's just a variable that isn't needed and actually confuses the process.

I used to use it and couldn't be happier I don't anymore!

If you can forward press the same way each time then there is nothing wrong with it. But why do you feel you need to? The new technology doesn't require a forward press to get a true role.

For me it has nothing to do with the roll it puts on the ball and everything to do with the triggering it gives me and smoothing out my stroke. Having said that, I'm more than open to other triggers.

I only do it when putting from off the green. I feel like I get more consistent results that way. On the green my first move is back.

Forgive me if this has been brought up, but is there a consensus on the utility of the forward press? I find myself wanting to do it, but I'm worried it might cause something negative to happen in my putting if I do. It feels as though it smooths out my stroke when I do it though, hence my desire to keep it up. Anyone have thoughts one way or another?

I forward press when putting. It is key for me as a starting point.

Great point. I'm looking to bring in consistency, so a forward press sounds like it is NOT the way to do it. So how do I start the putting stroke smoothly then? I am trying to ensure I don't jerk the putter away from the ball, which is where the origins of the forward press for me come from. What other options do I have?

I like the feel of the club hovering just above the ground to start my stroke.

I never have been a forward presser simply because it never was comfortable to me. Plus if I did it with my putter(s), I would see red and that would send me into a panic mode! :sweat:

forward press will open the club face at address, unless you don't ground your club.

delofting it, to a certain extent, will prevent the ball from skipping.

i would just go for a fitting.

Been practicing carpet putting over the last few months, and I seem to be able to start the ball online more consistently with a strong forward press. I have concerns that using this on the greens will lead to skidding and inconsistent distances though, and was thinking maybe only of using it on short putts of maybe 10 feet or less. Still get a decent line without the press but it seems to be better with it, as though there is less manipulation of the putter face, and easier to square. Anyone practice this on the course?

When i had a blade i forward pressed but with the DLL it seems to mare the stroke inconstant

Like any golf swing method out there the teachers will teach different methods as well as different path types (Arc vs Straight) I try to eliminate any variables I can--so I try to just rock the shoulders without forward press.

I was once a forward presser, however; over time the move became exaggerated and I started putting horribly. I have gone to the SPI method with no forward press and starting to putt great

Back