Closed face at the top

salisboss

RIP Jake 8/17/01-9/21/14
Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie

One thing I have noticed is that at the top of my swing the face is pointed straight up (closed). I hope to post videos tomorrow but in the meantime what could be causing this and what can I do to get more neutral at the top?

Thanks in advance

Instead of why? And how? What about telling us what the ball is doing? If it is going perfectly, Than why change?

let the ball be your teacher

I either fade or pull with a ton of spin. If I can't get to the top properly how can I expect to get to the ball properly.

I either fade or pull with a ton of spin. If I can't get to the top properly how can I expect to get to the ball properly.
..ok. Thank you,,than yes, that top,position is hurting you. For me, I like it..but again we are all individual. Dustin Johnson prime example with his bow

wait for Freddie..he will help u

Freddie

One thing I have noticed is that at the top of my swing the face is pointed straight up (closed). I hope to post videos tomorrow but in the meantime what could be causing this and what can I do to get more neutral at the top?

Thanks in advance

Salis a closed club face is a common occurrence with a great deal of golfers. It's caused by not rotating tie arms enough on the back swing.

On the backswing the toe of the club should be pointed to the sky when the club reaches your right hip. From this position you now have to continue the shoulder turn and fold the right arm into a 90* angle. This will set the club square for you at the top.

The danger of having a closed club face at the top is that when you swing through and release you have preset a left shot. But if you are swing inside to out and have the right ball position you can manage your game pretty well with a nice draw on every shot.

If you have an OTT move you'll get either a power fade or a fast hook. You can play with a shut face by minimizing your release at impact. But for this exercise is like to see you get the toe if your club pointed upward on the take away.

Salis a closed club face is a common occurrence with a great deal of golfers. It's caused by not rotating tie arms enough on the back swing.

On the backswing the toe of the club should be pointed to the sky when the club reaches your right hip. From this position you now have to continue the shoulder turn and fold the right arm into a 90* angle. This will set the club square for you at the top.

The danger of having a closed club face at the top is that when you swing through and release you have preset a left shot. But if you are swing inside to out and have the right ball position you can manage your game pretty well with a nice draw on every shot.

If you have an OTT move you'll get either a power fade or a fast hook. You can play with a shut face by minimizing your release at impact. But for this exercise is like to see you get the toe if your club pointed upward on the take away.
This exact topic was discussed on GC today while watching Boo Weekley hit shots on the range. They said being closed at the top can also work if you have a fast shoulder turn from the top through impact ??? Apparently Weekley has it, as did Arnie. It seems like us mere mortals would be better served to follow Freddie's more conventional advice, above :)

Thanks. Will try this tomorrow and post some videos.

Boo was also a gifted baseball player.. That closed face feels like I'm playing baseball again..the open face feels like I have to manipulate the club to hit it. When closed at the top,,,it feels like I create impact at the top. All you do than is just push it thru.

feels so,so,natural for me. And powerful..like a man

Back