Advice on my wedge situation?

Kebel

From snowbank land :/
Reaction score
Handicap
TBD
Hi everyone,

If I'm not mistaking, it's my first post eventough I've been reading a lot in the past 2-3 years.

I bought today 2 new wedges that were heavily discounted (in Canada we don't get the same deal as our lucky neighbours)... I wonder if my choices are good or not. I'm not new to golf but I'm fairly new to buying wedges :beat-up:

So, I already had a 54/17 sand wedge to which I added those 2 clubs :

Mizuno JPX 50/06
and
Cleveland CG16 black pearl 58/12

Which means I now have a 50 - 54 - 58 setup with bounce versatility.

FYI, I am a "picker" more than a "grinder" so I think I should be fine with the Mizuno.

What are your thoughts on this setup? I still can take them back and/or replace, but there was not a lot of choices left. That is why I couldn't get 2 CG16 as I would have wanted.

Thanks for your help and please excuse my English as French is my first language. :)

Personally, I think it's a good idea to have a variety of bounce options...but I'd go medium bounce on the 50 and low bounce on the 58.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to have a variety of bounce options...but I'd go medium bounce on the 50 and low bounce on the 58.

Thanks! If you can spare a minute, I would be happy to hear why you'd go that way. I've been hesitating A LOT...

As far as loft, I think you have a great set-up. Your PW is probably 45 or 46 degrees, so you should have tidy yardage gaps. Bounce is a really personal thing and can be influenced on the types of shots you use your different wedges for. I do a fair amount of chipping with my 52, but also hit a lot of full and 3/4 shots with it, so I went mid-bounce to kind of make it work for a lot of different scenarios.

Just my opinion but I'm more comfortable with a 50 (or gap wedge) that is an extension of my set. I'm guessing that your PW is probably around 9 or 10 bounce, so I'm more comfortable with a 10 to 12 gap wedge, a high bounce 56 for fluffy stuff, sand, or soggy spots...and a low bounce 60 to get 'creative' around the greens.

But I'm also a digger and could never imagine using a 50/6 on a full swing.

I personally like a lower bounce for my 58*. I use it a lot around the green and it's easier to be consistent chipping on tight lies. I do like a higher bounce on my 50 but I am a bit of a digger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think bounce should also be determined by what kind of rough and conditions you are usually playing in.

Having lots of bounce options is a good idea
I use a U grind on my 58 wedge it allows for dynamic bounce so you can add or remove bounce by the was you play it
a 50/06 is not much bounce on a wedge for full shots
The 54/17 should be nice for sand

Thanks everyone for your insight.

So, do you think I'd better go with a 50.10 and a 58.08 instead of 50.06 and 58.12?

For like 20 more $ I could exchange what I bought and move to CG15 50.10 and CG RTX 58.08.

I agree. Wedges like all clubs is very subjective. There is no right or wrong.

I do this as well unless I'm using the ATV or similar grinds

Back